Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

About that Statue of Liberty poem ...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Aug 14, 2019.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What countries don't have laws in place that prohibit immigrants from being charges on their governments? This type of thing is along the lines of fiscal responsibility. If we want to fix the issue, we need to forget about being offended by being called "charges" and help find ways to incorporate useful people into our society. Like I said, the rest of it is just a waste of time with people trying to be political. Just my two bits. The words were "twisted" in a way of saying how we should be carrying out immigration enforcement (based on laws on the book)...nothing racist about it (which was the theme of Daily Beast and some other politicians). It's not about racism.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 3
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am all for fiscal responsibility.

Agree on finding useful ways to incorporate people in society.

Let's start with work visas matched to labor demand for the industries who've been demanding these Latino workers for decades. It's not rocket science.

Let's also work with tech industries to start hiring back American workers, and reduce the work visas for skilled workers.

Also, I would not take this isolated incident as racist. But in context of the habitual bigoted and often white nationalist phrases used by this administration, it continues a pattern of racist rhetoric. It's a dog whistle and another talking point for those people.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm with you; let's also agree that we can't logically brag about "the work that Americans don't want to do" and then turn around around complain about "worker's rights" when we allow them to do it.

You and I just see this differently. I just think sites like Daily Beast just feed the fire (not that Trump doesn't do so as well). I don't see this particular comment as being in the same vein. You covered it well above, it's not about race, it's about whichever group happens to be the newcomer.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
  4. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree sites like Daily Beast feed the problem.

And this comment by itself is not in the same vein as much of this administration's rhetoric. In context of their constant drumbeat of bigoted messaging and dog whistles, it's difficult for me to not see it as more of the same, though.

I don't follow you on complaining about "workers rights" when allowing Americans to do jobs. Haven't seen that. Is it something going on now wrt how the undocumented workers in Mississippi were handled?

It will be interesting to see if Americans actually back fill those jobs. For more than a minute. If so, there is good argument that those employers don't need those undocumented workers.

If not, Mississippi will pay a heavy economic price for these actions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    The idea is that Americans don't want to do certain jobs because of the crappy conditions that go with them (after all, we are taught that workers have rights and labor standards that need to be adhered to for our own safety and health). Immigrants come here and will take on incredibly tough conditions because it's an opportunity they didn't have where they came from or otherwise the sacrifice in the difference is worth the opportunity to them. But sometimes you'll see efforts to point out that the conditions are too harsh and the migrant workers deserve better (I have no problem with that), but we have to recognize that as you feed one end of the spectrum (worker's rights), you take away from the other end of the spectrum (nobody wants to do it). The sweeter you make the jobs, the fewer Americans you'll find turning their noses up at them, and also, fewer workers will be able to be paid for the job.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016

7. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
    With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
    Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
    A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
    Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
    Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
    Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
    The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
    With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your white European poor,
    Your huddled masses who yearning to breathe free,
    but who swear not to be a public chargee,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless standing only their own two feet,
    since one-footed homeless are too beaten by
    tempest-tost for me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I would agree but offer that immigration should be handled by real guest worker visa program instead of path to citizenship. That would help export our principles as well as our pesos without diluting our vote.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I hear Hong Kong is nice this time of year.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    How many people did they arrest in the Mississippi raids, about 800? How many illegal immigrants are estimated to be working now in the USA, about 8 million? Looks like we only need about 10,000 of these raids until we get the illegal worker problem fixed. Good luck with this, just saying...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Ok. I understand what you're saying now.

With some jobs, I think there's no real getting around the fact they're tough as hell. Piece work produce picking as a good example.

Overwhelming majority of Americans can't do it and pick enough to make any money even if they wanted to.

I'm sure there are some jobs that can be made more attractive and get Americans back into them. But our lifestyles make us largely a very soft group of people and not generally good candidates for the jobs these Latino immigrant workers are doing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Completely agree.

• Like Like x 1
  13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    And the employers should provide group and family housing for the employees of migrant labor here on work visas or US residents willing to do migrant labor.

That makes it a much more viable option for many US residents that might want to go to work but arent liquid enough to move.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    More than that because half of those 800 will probably be back within 6 months.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    If we don't want immigrants being charges on our govt. we shouldn't make them pay Social Security and Medicare taxes either. Just sayin'... BTW, that's a preposterous Idea I just wrote. The Soc. Sec. and Medicare moneys are needed by our govt.

16. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    The employers of migrant workers have been providing housing for workers. You've read about this, right? How has that worked out?

17. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Since Trump apparently has totally surrendered on the idea of Mexico paying for the Great Wall of Trump, maybe he can make Mexicans build it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Maybe they can employ the people they send back to built it, they've already been on the job site. :confused:

19. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Madeleine Albright's response:

Madeleine Albright Isn't Happy With Cuccinelli's Rewrite Of Lazarus Poem

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1