Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

ABC edits out Obama's comment on the border

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by OklahomaGator, Sep 29, 2021.

1. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    UPDATE: ABC Newscasts Edit Out Obama Opposing Biden's 'Open Borders' in Interview

Interesting they would edit that remark out.

“But cut from that interview and published only in the online article was President Obama saying, quote, ‘At the same time, we're a nation-state. We have borders. The idea that we can just have open borders is something that, as a practical matter is unsustainable.’”

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2021
    Clearly Obama is a xenophobe.

And lib press doin’ what lib press do.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    "In her report, Heinrich noted that ABC did leave in the part where Obama placed all the blame for the crisis on Republicans:

HEINRICH: Days after the Biden administration cleared 15,000 Haitians from the Del Rio migrant camp, former President Obama defended his VP’s handling of the border crisis passing blame to the GOP.

OBAMA: Comprehensive immigration reform has consistently gotten stuck partly because we can't get enough Republicans to support it."

mrcNewsBusters practicing exactly the kind of journalism they accuse ABC of doing. Since when does saying immigration reform has gotten stuck PARTLY because of Republicans equate to Obama placing ALL the blame on them. Since when does PARTLY mean ALL? These words have very simple definitions, and they aren't synonyms.

And no, ABC should not have cut the quote referenced by the OP out of the piece. It's too important for context.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  4. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 GC Legend

Mar 6, 2009
    Can someone educate me as to why/how our country doesn't have closed borders? Ever try to enter any other country? I have many times and I have had to present a passport and explain the purpose of my visit, length of stay, and even contact information in some instances. I am fairly confident that if I tried to just saunter into Mexico, Canada, France, Japan, Iceland, etc., I would be met by some official who would have questions. And, if I told them that I was going to take up residence in that foreign nation, there would be a much more extensive investigation that likely would result in me being deported or requiring me to provide evidence that I will be a benefit to that nation. Why is it zenophobic/racist for USA to do the very same thing that every other nation does?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Wait, do you think visitors to the US from other countries don't have to present passports when they come to the US?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I'm sure you came to the right place to get answers to this question. They will probably be stupid answers but answers none the less.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    This seems pretty uncontroversial and much ado about nothing. Is there anybody who disagrees with this? Also I don't see this as somehow criticizing Biden.

"Immigration is tough. It always has been because, on the one hand, I think we are naturally a people that wants to help others. And we see tragedy and hardship and families that are desperately trying to get here so that their kids are safe, and they're in some cases fleeing violence or catastrophe," Obama said. "At the same time, we're a nation state. We have borders. The idea that we can just have open borders is something that ... as a practical matter, is unsustainable."

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. officelife

officelife Senior

Aug 11, 2017
    As someone who has walked into Canada and driven into Mexico (I10 by El Paso is tricky); yes you can just go right in. We only have two countries that we share borders with and those borders are massive.

We are a nation founded on and created by immigrants. Most Americans understand this.

The racism part of your question is very simple. There are only two major political parties in this country and one of those parties has the current front runner for President (he was the former President) say some awful racist comments about other cultures and people. Now those words are on him, not the party or followers. Yet the party and followers not denouncing his words, that is all on them. Crickets is what we heard from that side when those numerous comments came flowing out of his mouth. If you make a racist the head of your party, don’t be surprised if other or the media think all of us are racist.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Powerfully truthful post

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm not sure I get the outrage either. Is anyone calling for open borders? So Obama saying we can't have open borders is hardly big news, is it?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
  12. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Because "the narrative."

13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Because Republicans are repeatedly and relentlessly characterized as xenophobes in bad faith for supporting strict immigration policy.

If Democrats support strict immigration policy, it's "we're a nation with borders."

If Republicans support strict immigration policy, it's "they want to keep the brown people out."

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Leave the country, try to reenter without proof you belong here. Report back your experience. Can’t wait.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I think he is Haitiaphobic.

16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    "A throwback to Jim Crow."

17. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    7CBFE233-9432-491B-A121-9C859B9240DA.png

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. domgator

domgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If you don't vote for me you ain't black and they're gonna put yall back in chains. I do remember some of those racist comments.

• Winner Winner x 4
  19. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    C5700DED-5EB8-48FA-998E-3F9EFA25328E.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007