Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A year earlier?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Kirby, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Kirby

Kirby GC Legend

Sep 14, 2009
    Rocket City
    After reading the thread about the greatest 150 teams, I had a thought.....

if Spurrier would have put Danny in the shotgun in 1995, would we have been more competitive against Nebraska in the Fiesta Bowl? I remember him getting sacked a few times that being in the shotgun may have prevented. I know it didn’t help on defense since we couldn’t tackle Frazier, but could have had some effect.

I think we would have beat half ass u in Tally in 1996 if he would have been in the shotgun. We all know what happened in the Sugar Bowl

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    why didn't you post in that thread?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. blackbird68

blackbird68 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Our problem against Nebraska was defense, we could not stop them and were shown up in the trenches. Spurrier, as a result, went out and hired Bob Stoops to make the defense more physical. We gave up 62 points.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    UF not having a two deep of chemically enhanced thugs was what was missing from that game being closer. Not the shotgun.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    And Lawrence Phillips not being in jail where he belonged

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 5
  6. boatdrinks

boatdrinks VIP Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Truer words have never been spoken. That 1995 Nebraska team had more juice flowing through it than a CapriSun distribution center.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. iwannaperfectseason

iwannaperfectseason All American

Dec 5, 2009
    We did lead 10-6 at the end of the first quarter. The shotgun certainly could have helped our chances - maybe not win outright, but at least make it a lot closer score-wise. It took the loss in Tally the next season to convince the HBC to give Danny more time to throw.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. stp_gator

stp_gator Senior

Nov 16, 2017
    St. Pete
    I remember Spurrier being very resistant to using the shotgun prior to the 96 NC game vs FSUx. I would have loved to see him implement it earlier but ultimately it worked out very nicely for us in a 52-20 rout of the clowns. What was really interesting in that game was that we frequently had two TE's, no RB, and 3 WR's. The protection Spurrier got with the 2 TE's as book ends and Danny's production in the shotgun was a beautiful sight to behold!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Not to mention that team being in the top 3 alltime college teams if not the greatest. Juice not needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Funny how it works out, but if we had beaten Nebraska, then we may not have lost at all in 1996 (assuming the "we figured it out" theory). If we go undefeated in 1996, we don't beat SWAC 52-20 for a national title. Some people aspire for perfection. I don't think "perfection" beats hoping Michigan knocks off Ohio State (that working out), hoping 20.5-point underdog Texas knocks off Nebraska in the inaugural Big XII championship game (that working out), hoping that Ohio State then knocks off undefeated Arizona State in the Rose Bowl on a late game go-ahead TD-scoring drive (that working out), and then beating your biggest rival (at the time, at least) by a score of 52-20 for your first ever national championship. Yeah, I can handle the Tommy Frazier still running jokes, nothing beats 52-20, I wouldn't change a thing!

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    We could have done NOTHING to stop Frasier. We could have rushed the whole team and he still would have pounded it down our throat in the Fiesta. The mismatch was the worst I’ve ever seen.

I still have nightmares of him running through us. There would be a pile and he would just come out. It was fugly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    As a man that was at the Tally game and the Sugar, can’t agree more.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. persuader

persuader All American

Feb 2, 2015
    Florida
    Nebraska would have beat the crap out of anyone that year. Easily one of the best college teams to ever play the game.

15. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    just having that brought up again resulted in another Nebraska score....

16. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Senior

May 9, 2015
    Kirby;

Interesting story concerning your 1996 game in Tally question. A good friend on mine (we still have 4 tickets together for Gator Football) was hosting a dinner get together with Larry Vettel, Huey Richardson, my wife and I and others and Larry turned to me and said............

"So Stuart how do you thing tonight's game in going to go"?????

My reply was: "Larry, I fear for Danny's life, that FSU DL is going try to kill him".

Larry's reply was: "Nope, we are going to beat them by 3 touchdowns at least. Steve is going to have Danny in the shotgun."

I said (after laughing hysterically): "Larry, don't be crazy, Steve doesn't believe in the shotgun."

Larry said: "Just watch,............ we have been using it in bowl practice. You should have seen the game in Tallahassee from the Press Box. We had receivers running 10-15 yards clear of coverage the entire game, Danny just did not have time to hit them."

I walked to the Superdome still laughing, but my jaw dropped on our first offensive play.

So my answer to your questions would be H$LL yes, we destroy FSU in the regular season game in 1996, but NO we would not beat Nebraska in 1995. The game would have been closer, but that offense was a machine. We were in Tempe, but it felt like we were in Lincoln with all the Nebraska fans there. Had to be 80/20 them at least.

17. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    How do you know? How much of the on-field performance was the players' natural abilities, and how much was the roids? Do you also think that Sosa, McGuire, A-Rod and Barry Bonds were that much better than Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Roger Maris, and Babe Ruth? Would they have gotten as many home runs without the juice? That's why they put an asterisk on their accomplishments--because they were chemically-enhanced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Mickey Mantle batting right after you has got to be a better advantage than some roids.