Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A walk in the woods

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ursidman, Oct 13, 2021.

1. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    [​IMG]
    Along a section of the AT to Wesser Bald and its tower.

[​IMG]
    People in the valley probably think its a cloudy day. All depends on your perspective.

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    [​IMG]
    National Parks and National Forests are such great American ideas. Our natural heritage just waiting for anyone who would but venture forth.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    that's beautiful stuff. and sometimes we need reminding. thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks Biden! Just kidding, great pics.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Beautiful - glad you got up there and thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Have you ever read the book "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson?

• Like Like x 3
  7. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Read it between tears from laughing. I backpacked a lot in years past and have been him on that first leg of his trip: can of Ravioli ? flung; canned ham? Really flung (well, except I never really flung 'em).

8. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I've done about 200 miles of the AT, most of it when I was a kid. Springer Mountain to Fontana Dam in 1966 when I was 14. After that I did a couple of weekend hikes through the years. I always said when I retired I was going to do a through hike.

In 2017 I retired and headed for Springer Mountain with my dog Spider. My through hike attempt lasted all of 2 days LOL. My first mistake was not preparing to hike with a dog. I had not done any off leash training in the woods and I had to keep her on leash, she wanted to run and explore and I was fighting her all the way. My 2nd mistake was starting too early in the season and not checking the weather. Half way up Springer Mt it started raining then snowing. I saw a sign pointing to the right that said Lynn Foot Hiker Inn 1.5 miles. I decided a warm bed sounded real good so me and Spider took a side trip to the Inn. They wouldn't let us stay because they don't allow dogs. I realized at that point I should have had Spider designated a service dog or I was going to run into that same problem all the way.

Long story short I had to hike back to the trail and didn't arrive at the campsite at the top of Springer Mt until after dark. I set up the tent and spent the night cuddled with Spider Dog in sub 20 degree weather with a 35 mph wind blowing. Woke up the next morning and tried to continue on but everything was froze over and I was having trouble trying to walk on the snow & ice with a pack on my back and fighting an unruly dog. I called a friend who lived in the area and he was kind enough to meet me at the next trail head and give me a ride to his beautiful mountain home for the next 2 days while my wife drove up to take me home.

I'd love to try it again but I'm getting a bit old for that shit.

• Like Like x 7
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida

Made me a instant fan of hiking the AT the movie was just okay but the book is gold

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    We did a bit of a day hike on AT at Katahdin in Maine a couple of years ago. One of the buggiest places I've ever been. And I'm from Florida.

11. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    I remember the account and photos of your trip you posted here. You made it sound funny.

I've always believed in the maxim: The adventure doesn't really begin until everything goes wrong.

Had a friend of about our age that had never been a hiker or done much exercise but decided he wanted to do it. He came out of the woods briefly to attend his son's wedding but completed the trip. He was/is way into the happy mushrooms and they may have given him the boost needed to finish. Gives me hope I could do it maybe, perhaps.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  12. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
  13. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Just gorgeous!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. domgator

domgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I've hiked all of GA, most of NC and portions of TN, VA and WV in the last decade or so. Been a couple years since I have been able to take time off work to get back up there and knock out some more miles. Last trip we got caught in a middle of the night thunderstorm sleeping in our hammocks. Brutal! On second thought maybe that is why I haven't been back in a couple years

• Like Like x 1
  15. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Recognize those falls - on the way to the trail

16. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Been up in Ga and NC hiking this week. Retirement sucks :). Got to get those uphill jaunts while I can.

• Like Like x 3
  17. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Great pics and video thanks for sharing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I was just a few miles from you last weekend doing Standing Indian loop around Franklin NC. Friday showed why they call it the Smokey’s (top right - thick fog). Saturday was gorgeous (top left). Hit a few waterfalls on way back to Charlotte.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    All those areas are great. I’ve been on the trail from Springer up to PA - not every section though. I like the Smokies (TN/NC) and Roan Mountain area (NC) the best so far. Max Patch (NC) was pretty but busy.

• Like Like x 1
  20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Sorry but after hiking the Rockies, Cascades, and multiple ranges in Alaska the AT just doesn't impress me much. Haven't done more than an overnight but the hikes out west just >>>>>> than the AT. Always good to get out on a hike though. Surprising mental benefits from taking a walk in the woods

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1