Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A Tribute To Those Who Went Ashore At Normandy To Fight For Freedom

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Jun 6, 2023.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    A Tribute To Those Who Went Ashore At Normandy To Fight For Freedom

When those landing craft doors fell open they move forward into the frigid waters of the English Channel and struggled to get to the beaches under the fierce, withering fire of the German defenders, every thought must have narrowed down to the single, intense, monumental effort to simply survive. Yet, somehow, slowly, with fierce, even wild determination, they kept going forward. Though the casualties mounted around them, they advanced relentlessly toward their various objectives, and against all thoughts of fear, not willing to fail, they began to overwhelm the enemy defenses and to take the day.

What those men saw, felt, endured and did that day has gone down as one of the greatest battles in history. The horror that they charged into from those boats and the super human efforts of those men, both individually and cooperatively that day, humble all of us. It was their courage, their determination, in that hellish environment on those beaches and cliffs of Normandy that turned the tide of that war. It was the beginning of the end of the Nazi reign of terror in Europe. There would be much more blood spilled before the war was over, but what those men did that terrible day gave the momentum to the Allied side and it will never be forgotten.

One year, the veterans of that day will be not be present, but they will not be forgotten. Hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world visit the Normandy beaches each year to remember these heroic men. May we all take a moment on June 6 to be silent, or to offer prayers of thanks for those who fought there that day, and for those 37,000 allied troops who fell on that single day in defense of freedom.

We cannot thank that generation of warriors enough for what they did there that day.

• Winner x 13
    • Like x 4
    • Best Post Ever x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Impossible to imagine jumping off the craft, into the water and up the beach, running into fire the whole way and having men dropping around you.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Great post, about an incredible historical event!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    It's why the opening scene to Saving Private Ryan may be the most memorable movie scene of all time.

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Never knew of this tradition - beautiful

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. sas1988

sas1988 All American

Nov 16, 2016
    Denver
    Just watched a couple react to "Saving Private Ryan" and it's amazing how many younger people just don't know of the sacrifices that those men HAD to make, and upon seeing that opening scene, wake up to the reality of those sacrifices and cry.
    Both of my Grandpas served in that war and they (according to my parents) were never the same. PTSD was with them for the rest of their lives.
    Thank you to all those that have served, during wartime or not.
    Just think what this world would be like if Hitler had won. Jeesh!

7. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 GC Legend

Mar 6, 2009
    Visited Normandy back in 2001. My grandfathers were stationed elsewhere during WWII, but I was astounded by the geography and what I knew about the invasion. Wife and I both had tears most of the day walking along the cliffs and burial areas. The locals were flying American flags still. It broke our hearts at the same time as our pride and gratitude swelled.

• Like Like x 4
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I know someone who just got back from Normandy today. She said it was almost to surreal to think about standing in a foxhole there.

9. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not one who went ashore, but a neat connection

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I visited Normandy several years ago and like everyone has said it is very awe inspiring. How those guys made it up those cliffs to take out those bunkers is beyond amazing. There would never be another military assault like that today. Those men were truly the Greatest Generation.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The boys of Pointe du Hoc, memorialized by 40 on the 40th anniversary

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    I’m in the process of planning a trip to France next spring and this is on my bucket list for sure.

• Like Like x 3
  13. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    It's like a pilgrimage. You may be moved to tears.

I've previously posted of this encounter, but it's worth repeating.
    Trucker and I have visited Normandy twice. Our first visit was in September of 1985. The first day of our brief visit we were in Ste. Mere Eglise in the town's market square adjacent to the church where one of our paratroopers had dangled from the roof for hours before being freed by fellow GI's.

It was lunch time so we bought a lunch of bread, cheese, and fruit from vendors and found a shady corner to stand and watch the activity in the square. We were soon approached by a short, stooped, elderly French man who reached out his hands to take mine and spoke French to us. I only understood a few words, such as 'Americain?' and 'merci,' but his tone of gratitude and attitude of respect was unmistakable. He touched my face, kissed me on one cheek then the other. He turned to Trucker, repeated some of what he had said, shook Trucker's hand, turned and walked away.

We were stunned and the encounter left me in tears. Forty years after the end of the war this old man from Normandy had not forgotten, and I will never forget him.

While you are there be sure to see the Bayeux Tapestry, a needlework stitched by Queen Mathilde, wife of William the Conquerer, and her ladies in waiting. Ths epic and well preserved work of art is nearly 1000 years old and depicts William's invasion of England and the Battle of Hastings in 1066. It is more than 220 feet long.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    I often comment to my wife how great that generation was, the very quick conversion to a war economy, the building of a premier military in such a quick span of time, the sacrifices made at home and on the battle field. All while coming out of the "great depression".
    I don't see it happening again.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We went from 709 Navy ships in 1941 to over 7,000 in 1945.

• Like Like x 1