Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A recruiting question in ref to bama

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by k9gator, Jan 10, 2018.

1. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    They might not have owned a house, just paying rent. Tuscaloosa would be much cheaper to rent or own than Hawaii. I just read an article on Hawaii losing residents because of high property values and wages not keeping up with costs of living. It also said homeowners are using Airbnb to rent to tourists instead of leasing housing to locals.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. atlmover

atlmover GC Legend

Feb 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Na....everyone dreams of leaving Hawaii to move to Alabama :confused:.....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    To me it should never happen but then I'm an old guy ("65 UF grad). Their new QB from Hawaii and his entire family move the Alabama ....mmmmm? I'd like to kn ow more about the move, who paid? Did his dad get a job in Alabama...what else? Questionable at best...just saying.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Got to be some serious culture shock going from Hawaii to Alabama.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    I'm sure they did it for the scenery. :rolleyes:o_O

6. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Maybe they just wanted a pre-1964 taste of Americana.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They have a large Samoan family in Hawaii that centers around Tua's grandfather. Tuas dad played college football but I'm not sure if he graduated as the family needed him to come back to work to help the family financially.

Tua's younger brother is a 3* and he has shown a little interest in UF. It's unlikely he goes anywhere other than Bama unless Bama gets a top flight QB. Alot of the top Qbs are already commited.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Most likely it was part of the entire package deal. Tua signs with Bama. Family gets moved with jobs. Kid brother gets a full ride. Also wondering if they sold their Hawaiian home who bought it and for how much over the asking price? Hhhmm
    Now there might be a new way to skate around the NCAA. We will call it #117 in the Alabama How To book.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. lizardo50

lizardo50 Freshman

Nov 28, 2016
    Ever read the article "SEC BAG MEN" if not google it might find it interestig just saying

10. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That is a very good read :eek:

11. lizardo50

lizardo50 Freshman

Nov 28, 2016
    Not pulling my leg are you never heard of it, Amazon has it?

12. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Bingo. It's not stuff to the kids; that is easier to trace, because kids yap more.

What Alabama and Auburn do, and have done since at least the 1980's, is arrange the deal with the parents. Here's how it works:

Player needs a new car? Bama fan car dealer gets mom, or dad if he is around, a new car. Easy "finance" terms, on paper; loan is never repaid. Kid drives to school with a new car, in mom or dad's name.

Player's parents need a new home, or home remodel project? Bama contractor fixes them up, gets all the right paperwork, but nothing gets paid.

Neither scenario will result in NCAA action unless mom/dad/kid blab. Why would they? And if they did, no connection to the university or coaching staff exists.

Need some cash money? Cash is easy to hide, and mom/dad/kid are damn grateful and won't blab and if they did, there is no record of cash being paid by anyone from the university or coaching staff.

I know of two incidents, both involving Auburn, one where a contractor did a $150k home remodel project for mom and dad to help the Barners land a future NFL defensive lineman. This was in the mid-'80's. The other involved $500 per month cash put in an envelope from a Barner seafood distributor to Auburn players--for decades. Lots of cash in that business, and that $500 per month was in the early '80's. That was some decent coin then. I knew the woman that mailed the cash. She said the owner of the company said he was "sponsoring" players.

The NCAA lacks subpoena power, and if people don't talk, they won't get anywhere with these situations. I really don't think they even try.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. dkgator

dkgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Pretty sure Bama will NOT be #1 on the list this year, ending a seven year streak, but there's a lot of good stuff in this thread anyway.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Bama can't sign a full class this year may be the only reason. Can't buy more schollys

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    When a kid says fans don't pay his mommas's bills...... who gives the bagman the money?

16. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Only because a former Bammer asst. has brought the "process" to his new digs in Athens, GA.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Boosters

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Boosters are usually fans of said school

19. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Interestingly, some of the purported "bag men" don't really seem like they have a strong preference for one school over another, and they certainly don't have an official connection with them (season tix, diploma, etc.) They seem, to me at least, to be people that like to feel important...even if it is anonymously. I have even heard of some of them doing favors for recruits that go to other schools. I'm guessing that over time they get called in to find out what it takes to get recruit X to go to school Y and they find a way to make it happen, and to be a trusted name in the recruiting community in getting things done discreetly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Some of them are runners and take a cut of the cash they funnel to players...the runners could care less what school the kids go to as long as the cash is flowing.

• Agree Agree x 2