Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A recruiting question in ref to bama

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by k9gator, Jan 10, 2018.

1. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Was coming to post this.

This is INSANE. He doesn't even have to recruit. Just walk in the room with fingers full of rings.

He doesn't suck at putting you in the league either. At the start of the 2017 NFL season, here are roster spots by school:

1. LSU - 51
    2. UF - 45
    2. USC - 45
    4. Bama - 44

2. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Everyone knows that top players who attend Bama get to drive a brand new Buick.

It also appears that their football athletes receiver rather hefty stipends from somewhere, much like Clemson's appear to.

3. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Everyone pays players under the table. EVERYONE. They go to Bama to get rings, to get drafted, and to get great coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Interesting read

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Wth is this stigma that seems to sound like only the gump$ put players into the league? Especially since a majority of them don't do well once getting there.

If you're good enough, you get drafted. Period.

But why do so many top notch kids sit behind other top notch kids at gumpville, but hardly ANYWHERE else? As for the gutless and spineless NCAA, didn't someone list that they have a gump or 2 working for their compliance board?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    let's be honest. the ncaa is worthless and.toothkess.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  7. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    And you forgot rich, fat, and perfectly happy with the current system.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I get your point and assume there are just no inquiring minds in the press or in Indianapolis. However, something is up with your rankings, because I don't think UF has finished in the top 5 of the recruiting results since UM left the building.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    Just pay all full scholarship athletes equally, If it's stipends to attend school pay them all the same, but not so little that they can't get a car, some clothes, afford to go out on occasional dates, etc. You can do away with the stipends or add an equal amount of money per semester on top of the stipends. It's time for college athletics to just go ahead and do this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Kirby

Kirby GC Hall of Fame

Sep 14, 2009
    Rocket City
    It's interesting that Tua's family packed up and left Hawaii for Tuscaloosa after he signed. I'm sure there was some help given in finding them a house, jobs,etc.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    yep. ask someone over on nuttin but net on why we didn't get patrick Patterson and Kentucky did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. fierygator

fierygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 13, 2010
    Apex, NC
    Not saying they didn’t and I don’t know anything about Tua’s family finances but with property values being what they are in Hawaii compared with Alabama, it’s possible they sold and came out ahead. I see that type of thing all the time here with people moving in from the northeast. You wonder how they can afford the houses they buy then one remembers the difference in property values.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Actually I think his assistant H.S. coach got the money to steer him to Alabama. Not sure what Means got out of the deal.

14. sas1988

sas1988 Freshman

Nov 16, 2016
    Denver
    The media always make a big deal out of none of his ex-assistants ever beat him. It is so simple yet they never say it. All those assistants come into situations on a re-build mode or similar type deal. They play UB when they are hamstrung and UB is 4 deep with 5-stars. This was the first game (other than Clemson-look how close those three games have been) that he played a team with almost equal talent. He is no coach god (like Belicheat), just ask my Dolphins how good of a coach he is with even/lesser talent.
    I laugh whenever people fawn all over him like he's the best ever. In college, with distinct advantages in every area, he is great. I bet you there are at least 15 coaches in college right now that could have won more titles with the talent advantage they have. Seriously. That recruiting string of #1 classes is THE reason UB has won 5 titles since he's been there.
    He did earn this year's title with coaching decisions made in game, not just talent alone. (Tua was the #1 QB in nation in H.S. though, so...)

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I haven't heard anyone else with the following take so maybe I'm crazy but I believe having won 4 rings for Bama recently allowed Saban to take a chance with Tua, play it loose, and not worry about the outcome. I don't think he makes that gutsy of a call if he had no rings and was chasing Alabama's first championship in 37 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    Recruiting class rankings are not just about the stars but also about the size of the class. Bama is know for over-signing and then figuring out how to make it work; grey shirts, medical hardships, etc. It would be interesting to take a look back at the size of the recruiting classes during that same time span. It will also be interesting to see how a hard 25 class size, if that is truly the case, effects Bama's rankings. Bottom line is they will still get their share.

18. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The shaft If his coach got everything.

19. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I hate Saban as much as anybody and I firmly believe Bama cheats (alot) but it is impossible to say he's not a great coach. He's the reason for ALL of those #1 classes (along with booster help of course) and ALL the championships and all the wins. He's won titles at 2 different schools. What more can this guy do to prove he's great?

He wins with Qbs that aren't particularly great passers and when he recruits a kid that is substantially better running with the ball he mixes up his offense to continue winning.

Just for posterity sake, Tua was the #3 ranked QB in the country. (#1 Dual threat)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Despite all their success, I think bama actually under performs their talent level.

• Agree Agree x 4