Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A recruiting question in ref to bama

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by k9gator, Jan 10, 2018.

1. k9gator

k9gator Premium Member

Aug 22, 2007
    I would like to get some serious responses to this question: How is it that bama is able to recruit the way they are, and no one seems to care or investigate? Let me explain further. I went back, using 24/7, to the recruiting class of 2008, and looked at the top 5 programs from then to 2017. Here are the results (in order from #1 to #5):
    2008: Miami, ND, bama, USC, UF
    2009: LSU, USC, bama, UGA, OSU
    2010: UF, Tx, USC, bama, Oklahoma
    2011: bama, FSU, USC, Tx, AU
    2012: bama, Tx, UF, FSU, OSU
    2013: bama, OSU, UF, Mich, ND
    2014: bama, OSU, LSU, FSU, Aub
    2015: bama, USC, FSU, Tn, LSU
    2016: bama, LSU, FSU, OSU, Ole Miss
    2017: bama, OSU, UGA, USC, Mich

Let that sink in a minute. Looking at that list, you do see a lot of repeats other than bama. OSU and USC have 6 top 5 appearances in that time. FSU has 5, and we have 4. The natural rise and fall that every other team goes through in recruiting....but not bama. 10 appearances, 7 of which are #1! Now, I believe that we can all agree that most, if not all, power 5 teams have "stains" on their recruiting programs. I seriously believe that all of them have dirt, somewhere. That being said, how the hell has someone in power not taken a look at this, called saban, and said "Dude, its getting obvious. Lets do a #6-#10 class this year."? I'm know there are those who would say bama runs a clean program, and its saban, or the facilities, or the chance to win a natty (or all the above) that bring 'em in. So your saying most of these kids, a good bit of whom come from "less than middle class" surroundings, are saying "no" to the "favors" other programs are offering, just to stay clean and play for bama? VERY hard to buy! Lets not forget, 3 other teams also get to go to the playoff, and many programs have phenomenal facilities as well. Is it that the NCAA is afraid of bama or saban? If so, why??? Is it really "good for college football" to have its version of the Patriots? I, for one, really enjoy seeing various teams play for it all, not the same team over and over.

I know I'm going to get some humorous responses, and that's fine. But I would appreciate some thoughtful, serious responses on how you guys and gals think that bama is able to do this without even raising an official eyebrow!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Kerrdog

Kerrdog GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2015
    who is the official eyebrow you want raised?

seriously, kids want to be winners. Alabama is winning currently. They want to get drafted high and get money. Alabama players are getting drafted early and high school kids see that.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. n8knutson

n8knutson VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    It has to come crashing down at some point. Although it will be interesting and terrible to see that UG Aly May begin to be in the top 2 every year man they can recru$t.

4. n8knutson

n8knutson VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    There are tons of routes to the NFL my biggest question is why does a 5 Star want to ride the pine. or multiple for that matter. We get told they really want early playing time then they sign with BAMA this cannot be clean. Maybe we are dirty too maybe the whole thing is but they have to be the dirtiest. Shadow boosters exist money does exchange hands the whole thing is too lucrative for it not to. Maybe nobody is investigating because every program in the entire southeast is to some degree doing it. We cannot be all naive to think it is not happening. Ole Miss is astonishing they are still getting recruits. My guess is that maybe you want the answer to your question but you probably do not. But untraceable cash is definitely involved.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    I know everyone thinks they cheat, and they may be. However, there's been too many assistant coaches that have moved on and would have done the same things (see Jim McElwain and his 3 Alabama assistants he brought to UF; see Will Muschamp, former Saban assistant; see Drew Hughes, former UF recruiting coordinator who came to UF from Alabama; see all the other former Saban assistants, staffers, etc at other programs now: Fisher, Pruitt, Smart, Muschamp again). Then look at the players who have been forced out (i.e. "asked to move on" so they could sign more recruits). You would think that after 10 years there would be one of these coaches, assistants, HS coaches, recruits, former players, etc who would have come forward.

I'm not saying there's not $100-handshakes or things like that. But people implying there's big-time payments happening need to show evidence. And as I pointed out, after TEN years if there was smoke around the program for cheating someone would have come forward - at least anonymously.

I think Kerrdog is right, kids like to win and going to Bama guarantees that.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. n8knutson

n8knutson VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I haven’t read it but I may but some of your answers may be in the book meet the bag men.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2014
    • Bama started the Bloated Staff phenomena - Assistants do much of the recruiting heavy lifting.
    • Bama is winning and players want to win
    • Bama players go to the NFL
    • Bama players are well coached
    • Bama facilities are Top Notch
    • Bama has a VERY long history Like: Ohio St, Penn State, USC, ND, OK...
    Now I can't stand Saban nor do I like Bama but the only way we can change this is to do the things they are doing.

We can do this because we have more in state talent AND where do you want to spend 4 years Tuscaloosa or Gainesville?

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. n8knutson

n8knutson VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Plausible deniability there are degrees of separation between the coach and the bag men. Bama has an extremely good old school network to get things done without the coaches involvement.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    At most schools Basketball involves Assistant Coaches and Shoe deals. Football involves boosters and bagmen. Its much harder to tie boosters and bagmen to the school. People in the know wish big name coaches would have to go before the NCAA and admit we all do it (meaning more than 50%). Now what do you want us all to do to fix it?
    What's the disconnect here to getting it fixed? The NCAA

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    because they give out nicer cars

11. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Isn't it possible the institution itself facilitates the process though? I know we are not squeaky clean but given our history isn't it possible that we have a bit more of a stringent compliance program?

My issue with people saying Bama just has a good thing going is precedence. Miami and FSU were THE show for a good while in the late 80s and 90s. Even with cheating they didn't always finish #1 in recruiting every year like Bama currently is doing.

Add to that all the smoke but supposedly no fire like recruits flashing cash after recruitment while posting "the struggle is over" and the recent criminal activity that didn't even result in a suspension and it just seems possible.

There is more talent in the high school ranks than ever yet less parity at the top in recruiting rankings?

• Like Like x 1
  12. TJHooker

TJHooker GC Legend

Jul 31, 2014
    Fun fact: Every Nick Saban recruiting class since 1999 has won at least 1 National Championship. Pulling off my orange and blue glasses, who would not want to be part of that?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I want to be a part of ending it! :devil:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    They are an NCAA sacred cow.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's clear that Saban is a great coach and has Bama humming but they are far from above board. A few examples below:

• Pat White, former WVU QB, said that Bama promised him a corvette if he signed with them.

• Scroll through this link. It lists the recruits name along side of the brand new car they received. Where there's smoke....

https://247sports.com/college/usc/B...s-Recruiting-Dominance-Continues-Wow-50860219

• Landon Collins chose Bama over lsu because Saban offered his girlfriend a job. When Landon chose Bama on national tv his mom was visibly disgusted.

• Ha Ha Clinton dix took money

• DJ Fluker took money/benefits

• Marcell Dareus had improper contact with an agent.

• Fishing trips paid for by boosters

• Saban was famous for "randomly bumping" into recruits during designated no contact periods.

These are just a few examples of how the rules need not apply in Tuscaloosa.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    One coach said he believes 20% of ALL schools cheat and 80% of the SEC cheats.

Lol. That's funny to me.

17. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Which is why i couldn't watch the title game. I couldnt listen to a 4 hour praise fest of what i believe to be a crooked program. I'll give that in part I'm just butthurt about how far we have fallen but even if we hadn't I'd still be bothered by the underbelly of college athletics. I'm particularly soured given our stiff punishment while other programs remain revered and relatively unscathed despite rampant acknowledged scandals like the Miami teams of the 80s and 90s or the UNC teams in basketball

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn't watch the game either. Only OT. Bama is very dirty but that doesn't mean Saban is anything less than a great coach. He gets great players but he clearly coaches em up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This is my somewhat knowledgeable opinion. Bama cheats. They do it through boosters and have perfected it after getting caught. TBH it is sometime blatant and is not consistent. For example not every recruit gets the same "deal". The NCAA is toothless IMO at this time and it is not a big concern. Every kid who goes to Bama receives something from some booster. Sometimes its just help with life issues, sometimes more. No, they are not the only school that does it. Some kids will go where they want regardless.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Back in the day Albert Means got 200K I would say some of these current players get more than that and as the old saying goes you don't bite the hand that feeds you.