Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A New, Cheaper Form of Meth Is Wreaking Havoc on America

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Oct 19, 2021.

1. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2021
    The guys who are trying to keep this poison out of the arms of your fellow Americans. I wouldn’t think that would be too hard to figure out.
    o_O

2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Are they the good guys when they resell those seized narcotics or use things like civil asset forfeiture to enrich themselves? If drugs were decriminalized they might get budget cuts and less toys to play with from state and federal grants. Seems like they might have other incentives that conflict with "keeping poison out of the arms of my fellow Americans." And like every other aspect of law enforcement, they arent very good at actually stopping or solving crimes to begin with. But for some, the answer is always throwing more money at a failing government program, like cops. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Hall of Fame

Dec 31, 2016
    You skipped the part where formal education happens in middle and high school as part of heath and PE classes.

Perhaps there are grade / high school teachers on the board than can validate this still occurs?

4. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    It kind of is hard to figure out given the way we have labeled some people as good guys and some as bad.

Those fellow Americans you mention (some of whom post on these boards) are the ones who create the demand. That's not a knock on them, it's a recognition that a lot of good people are on that demand side. The good guys in your scenario might also be good guys but this is without recognizing how drug policies & prosecution help foment the problem. Thus, we're left with pretending only one group is bad.

A simple way to put it, it's the folly of the thin blue line.

By the way, my question wasn't sarcastic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Freedom isn't free.

6. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Even by the time I was in HS, PE class was optional. Whatever information we got about drugs was both dubious (things like weed being addictive & a "gateway" etc) and designed not to educate but to scare. As I alluded to earlier any sort of real educational approach should be centered around "if you are going to do it, here's how it works and here are the risks." But since drugs are illegal, really all you can do is be like "don't commit crime or bad things will happen - i.e brain damage/death/prison." And that is competing with all the dubious information you get from people you know and popular drug lore (some of which functions the same way - "PCP laced weed," "bad trips" and such). And when you obviously dont die or get addicted to weed if you try it, then you tune out whatever good information you got because supposedly authoritative people inflated the risks.

7. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010

Jenny then.

Jenny now.
    [​IMG]

She even has her own strain
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Jenny Lewis in a weed Nudie suit is my brain on drugs

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Hall of Fame

Dec 31, 2016
    Well that was your education not mine. I did confer with my sister that substance abuse is still taught in middle and grade school (at least in Texas and here in Virginia as well). While I agree some of it is scare tactics same for driver ed horrendous accidents and STD's (sex ed in high school as part of health). None the less there was also substance concerning the drugs abused (amphetamines, barbiturates, weed, LSD, speed, heroin, cocaine, tobacco etc...) I'll not deny that it was both educational and scare tactics. I'm sure a whole new class of designer drugs to syllabus for educational purposes.

10. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2021
    It what regard to my post?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Meth head had a shack a quarter mile from where I live. He stole from us regularly. Stupid stuff he could hick. Meth was killing him quickly. He got mad when I called the cops and threatened to burn my place down. Keep in mind, it takes a four wheel drive truck to get to my place on a good day. If he wanted to he could easily burn it down before the cops or the fire department got there. We had words the next time he came to house to steal from us. Said some horrible things about my wife and daughter.
    He moved to Florida the next week. Died outside of Daytona. I have no sympathy for meth heads . They are a danger to society.

12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    For some people, it's just not possible,especially after a certain point. They are adults, you can't make choices for them, and they can't make choices for themselves because their mental processes have become severely compromised. The point of the article is with more recent meth that can happen pretty quickly.

At some point, prison may be a better outcome than leaving them on your own.

I think libertarianism is a valid philosophy and construct, but from a practical perspective you can't have pure libertarianism. You approach anarchy. Libertarianism advocates for letting people make their own choices, within the limits that it doesn't markedly deteriorate the quality of lives of others. How much of that societal quality of life deterioration in the name of freedom you're willing to stomach depends on how libertarian you are.

Drugs like meth aren't just a personal choice, they affect others, quite materially, as the article and many other shared anecdotes have demonstrated.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    There are victims of drugs and the war on drugs that are not themselves drug users - in fact vastly more I would wager. There are so many kids being raised by strangers in group homes, in the foster system, or by their worn-out grandparents because mommy and daddy (if one is present) are addicts and/or are in jail as a result of their addiction. Mental health issues are common in these kids from feelings of abandonment, abuse, neglect, loss of parental love and presence, and having to become the care-giver to their own parent. Their chances at the kind of life your kids have opportunity for is pretty minimal.

Make possession for personal use a civil offense and spend the money that now goes for prosecutions, incarceration, parole officers, and all the rest of the many wheels of the justice system on treatment/medical intervention. The family is important.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Remember black beauties back in the day? I think that was pharmaceutical methamphetamine.

15. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I can actually relate to what your saying, it almost was like you were describing my niece . On a positive note she's been clean for about 9 months now, this is longest she gone.

16. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Legalizing doesn’t make sense to me. You wouldn’t legalize any other crime just cuz people kept doing it.

I have no idea what the answer is though. I do know very disciplined parents who did everything you can expect and still couldn’t keep their kids away from drugs.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think most reasonable people agree that putting hard drugs on the shelve at Walgreens would be a disaster. But there’s a lot of of room between that and the current war on drugs paradigm.

Trying to cut off the supply clearly does not work, and has some pretty terrible collateral damage. Treating addicts as criminals is just as bad.

Decriminalize, treat the demand side. Go from there. Addiction is never going away unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Prostitution, gambling, alcohol ... lots of things have been legalized that people kept doing

19. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I’d say there are lots of things that people kept doing that is still illegal and a very few things in a few places to your point.

20. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    We imprison more people than anyone else in the world too, so yeah, we still have way too many things that are illegal and become criminal justice problems. Locking people up or processing them through courts is the only tool in our tool kit for a wide range of things. Yet, we still have more crime than pretty much any "developed" country, and more than most underdeveloped ones.