Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A look at 3rd and Grantham and more (Alligator Sports)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, May 31, 2020.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    A look at 3rd and Grantham and more
    Brendan Farrell, Sports Writer
    Todd Grantham had a reputation when he was hired as Florida’s new defensive coordinator in 2018.

Whenever anyone tries to discuss a Grantham-led defense, usually the first thing that comes to mind is “Third and Grantham.” Grantham, who previously held that position at Mississippi State, Louisville and Georgia, is known for his aggressive defenses, which can sometimes result in the opposing team converting on third and long.
    My esteemed colleague Tyler Nettuno took a look at this a year ago and came to the conclusion that the “Third and Grantham” issue was mostly a myth.
    He wrote, “Grantham’s defensive philosophy doesn’t inhibit the team’s success. If anything, it probably works to Florida’s advantage.”
    Let’s take a look at it one year later.
    First, let’s define “Third and Grantham.” I consulted a few alligatorSports writers and scoured college football forums to come to a concise definition:

An instance of “Third and Grantham” is any time where the opposition gets a first down on third and long.

Next, how many yards are our third-and-long’s going to be? This Football Outsiders article defines third and long as at least eight yards, and that’s good enough for me. It’s far enough to be a pretty long third down while still being close enough to collect as many attempts as possible.
    A look at 3rd and Grantham and more

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. dkgator

dkgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting stats and analysis only to conclude that they don’t matter.
    For me all you have to do iso look at last years Georgia game to know that Third and Gratham is real.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I just re-watched our Kentucky game. We had a horrendous 3rd and long defense.
    Here's how it went...

1st half- Uk converts 5 of 7 3rd downs, including
    3rd and 21, 3rd and 8, 3rd and 9, 3rd and 5.

2nd half...
    Uk starts out 3 of 3 on 3rd downs. So 8 for 10 at this point.
    THEN- late in the 3rd quarter we turn it on.
    We stop them on a 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1.
    4th quarter- we also stop them on a 3rd and 8 and a KEY 3rd and 2 which arguably won the game.

So for the first 43 minutes of gametime our 3rd down D was abysmal. They converted 8 of 10 including many long conversions.
    But then we turned it on in the last 17 minutes and stopped them when it counted.
    Including 4 in a row (counting the 4th down stop- a key play in the game.)

So yes- 3rd and Grantham is very real. Those 3rd and long conversions were killer.
    But later in the game we stopped them twice on 3rd and short and once on 4th and short, otherwise we probably lose this game.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We also need to stop using a three man rush, becasue it almost never works. We need to instead use that as a delayed blitz.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    UK game wasn't the only one with a similar problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Freshman

Oct 14, 2017
    I felt the Georgia game was one where the third down failures were a matter of personnel rather than scheme. Georgia put an extra lineman in and none of the D line could shed a block and make a play.

Against Georgia, his defense held a great back running behind a very good line to 86 yards, i.e. he successfully took away what Georgia wanted to do and forced them to pass and we were not good enough front to back to stop them. Fromm is good, I don’t take that away from him.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Definitely. But I had just re-watched the UK game and could not believe how simply horrible our 3rd down D was.
    The part of the article I read said that 3rd and Grantham was a myth. But I saw with my own eyes that it was very very real in the UK game.
    I don't know the solution- but 8 for 10 on 3rd downs is not a coincidence- esp when many of those conversions were 3rd and long.
    It points to a systemic problem.

Hopefully all coaches used this time to figure out what we were doing wrong, and will fix it.