Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A history lesson for those of you suddenly sour on Dan.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Again, I said that someone could say this. But the problem is that Spurrier was this way before he won anything.

2. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Division titles just aren’t predictive. We can debate if Macs 2 in an easier East is superior to Dans 1, but at the end of the day neither is predictive for future success.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    You are thinking of the later Spurrier.
    Spurrier from 90-96 was not that funny. He was so intense.
    If you are talking about the jokes "You can't spell Citrus without UT" that was at a booster club meeting. Summer time stuff.

I remember many Spurrier interviews where he was so intense. Hitting Danny late, Dockett trying to injure Rex.
    Again- people posting without good memories or youngsters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

This ain't Steve Spurrier's SEC. Mullen would have 3 East Titles and an SEC title in THAT SEC.
    Not a knock at the HBC at all, but this SEC is often much tougher depth wise.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I said Spurrier was occasionally whiney, he was also relentlessly cocky and funny. Dan just lacks the charisma and that's the difference.

Instead of chuckling and thinking "he's gotten himself into trouble again," we're cringing at Mullen. The Vader press conference is the only moment that I really chuckled at something he's said or done in the Press.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    I mean I didn't really start watching UF until I was 6 in 94, but I've gone back and watched most of the games since 90 on Youtube. I just don't find the comparisons accurate because Spurrier was way more charismatic, funny and was never saying dumb shit or babbled like Mullen did.

• Like Like x 2
  7. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    That might be the case but Saban and Dabo are also intense. Doesn't make us cringe at what they say like with Mullen.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    Dabo is even worse than Dan IMO.

9. tilly

So being whitty and positive at press conferences is key? I'll let Saban and Belichick know. ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Just for clarity sake, the Ole Miss game wasn't in doubt and tough to complain about Top 5 TxAM.

LSU outcome sucked, but no more than losing badly to 'Cuse or getting run by Tenn (x2) and MSU in SOS's first three seasons.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    True, Dabo has been awful this season. Maybe it's just Covid getting to the coaches, very frustrating.

12. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Plenty of schools wouldn’t fire their coach for Dan.

Plenty of coaches have more accomplishments than Dan objectively speaking.

Saban/Dabo. There is no way you can put Dan ahead of Riley or Kelly. Kirby has a much better track record. Jimbo. Ryan Day has accomplished more. Coach O won a natty. Campbell at ISU (he won a division!). Then recently retired guys like Meyer and Chris P are obviously ahead of Dan.

None of those teams would take Dan over their coach and all (ex Campbell) have objectively accomplished more (see their rings).

I would take Dan over some of them but that’s due to my own biases and not based upon what they’ve done. Despite me not liking Kelly there is no way anyone can say with a straight face that Dan has had a more successful coaching career.

Other teams such as NW, Louisiana, Ole Miss, Liberty, Cincy and Coastal would probably prefer not to fire their coach to set Dan (I would prefer Dan). Heck I bet UCF would too

Dan’s actual accomplishments is more in the Cristobol, Helton, Malzahn territory.

I’m hoping he takes the leap.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  13. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Clearing my cash is my ex wife and children’s department

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    So when Spurrier called the DARLING Bobby Bowden out for the late hits on Danny- you didn't cringe??
    So when Spurrier called out BAma for giving a free truck to a BAma transfer- you didn't cringe?
    So when Spurrier called a presser and showed them videotape of FSU/ Darnell's tactics- you didn't cringe?
    When Larry Guest of the Orlando Sentinel made it his mission in life to love Bobby and trash Spurrier mercilessly, you didn't cringe?
    When SOS made very clear that we mailed in our 92 game effort vs FSU because we were focusing on the SECCG, you didn't cringe?
    And there were so many more cringe moments.

I bet you did, if you were aware of it.

Again, Bobby was a nationally known hero. Even non-fans knew Bobby Bowden and LOVED HIM.
    His aw-shucks corn pone stuff was instantly lovable.
    Then mean ole Spurrier had to call FSU "free shoes university."

Dude- the media HOWLED at every one of these.
    Spurrier was lambasted in the media. Over and over.

Again- you can say "well Spurrier won so it was ok."
    But Spurrier was always like this. Even before he won.

I have no idea if CDM will win like Spurrier. Hope so, but the jury is still out.
    But in terms of media relations- you can't hate Mullen and love Spurrier.
    If anything Spurrier was worse while he was here.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    See my post #95. You were too young to know what was going on.

And you are right- Dabo is similiar or worse than Dan. He is also confident and super competitive.
    Probably why he and Spurrier are such good friends.

16. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    People wanted Ray Graves out after 1968 season when a loaded UF team was so-so. So they cut a deal with former UF QB and SEC champ coach Doug Dickey pre or during 69 season.......and look what we got !!!!!!!

We jumped for joy when we hired Pell, who I so dearly loved as our coach, but he got us into awful probation and years of hell. We could have hired in 1979: Lou Holtz and some others who I cant recall now.

Personality? You want a Bobby Bowden type? Or a Jimmy Johnson? Or Saban who is rude. Or maybe a nice guy who just got canned at Vandy?

I dont really care about their personality. Just win baby.

• Winner Winner x 3
  17. tilly

Amen. Teenagers?

18. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    So, true. And, coaches do listen to boosters, but, not those of us who frequent the free football boards. What we say here matters to no one but us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    So when Spurrier called the DARLING Bobby Bowden out for the late hits on Danny- you didn't cringe?? YES - This was whiney (but got the intended result for the title game)
    So when Spurrier called out BAma for giving a free truck to a BAma transfer- you didn't cringe? NO - This is objectively funny
    So when Spurrier called a presser and showed them videotape of FSU/ Darnell's tactics- you didn't cringe? NO - Defending against dirty play - we were all up in arms about Kash Daniels for UK doing the same thing
    When Larry Guest of the Orlando Sentinel made it his mission in life to love Bobby and trash Spurrier mercilessly, you didn't cringe? What does this have to do with Spurrier's PR? I don't use Bianchi as a measuring stick for anything Mullen does.
    When SOS made very clear that we mailed in our 92 game effort vs FSU because we were focusing on the SECCG, you didn't cringe? YES - Again Whiney

2 of the "moments" are cringeworthy and he had a ton more that were hilarious. I said he could be whiney and every coach has their moments. Even Saban just last year complaining about his misunderstanding of the rules or dislike for them against Auburn in a loss, was whiney.

IMO we just remember 2 different halos of Spurrier. Personally I appreciated swagger, he was charismatic because he was funny. That's how I remember him. I guess the cringe sticks out more to you for some reason - you're one of the only Gator fans I've seen refer to him this way. Maybe some of us just see him with O & B Glasses, or maybe you're too old so the early years stick out more?

Bobby was charismatic because he was an aww shucks kind of guy - he could be your grandpa. Totally different approach and that's why he was a media darling. But it also was pretty boring most of the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Who do you think we are ? We are not a top tier program and yet fans think we are. The program is in good shape. We need to be fans and stop with the silly crap like we know how to evaluate people in the coaching staff. We know exactly crap. Just cheer for our team and settle down. Damn

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1