Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A history lesson for those of you suddenly sour on Dan.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Steve won a SEC title his 2nd year I believe. Conf titles are much more predictive and Steve played that out with more conf titles and a national title.

2. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    Dan has done fantastic job here, and in no way do I want him gone. BUT:

1) He must get rid of Grantham
    2) Stop saying dumb things in the PCs and own his mistakes.

Also, stop with the Mullen/Spurrier comparisons. They are not the same. He isn't nearly as witty/clever.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This would be good contingency. There was no one on the staff this year that would instill any confidence stepping in running the D mid-season if it came to that.

I'm also not sure TG wouldn't have been cut loose had there been a couple seemingly 'can't miss' wunderkinds available this offseason.

4. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    That is true, I would venture to say right now its harder to win the SEC than it was in 1991.
    Bama was good then but I don't know if they were as good as they are now.
    Losing to Bama this year is on the DC, not Mullen.

One thing people don't seem to know is SOS cared more about the SECCG than anything else, that's why out record vs FSu wasn't so great, he always put more effort on winning in Atl.
    Similar with bowl records, SOS felt like it was a bonus for a good season but not the end of the world.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I guess I can't say some of our fans are stupid a-holes now? (not saying any particular one is BTW)

6. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Not following... can you eloborate?

7. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    And Mac made it to ATL twice. Just making it there isn’t predictive of future success.

Im not saying fire Mullen. He just hasn’t proven he is a top tier coach and the clock is ticking for him to prove it (~2 years).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    This forum is starting to take on a divisive atmosphere like THFSG.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    You must be a youngster and not remember the Spurrier days.
    I was mid 20s when Spurrier started and lived and died with each game.

I actually laughed out loud reading "It's not a good comparison. Mullen is atrocious at PR."

Do you know how many hits we took from a PR standpoint w/ Spurrier???
    ALL THE TIME. He was public enemy #1 with a lot of media.
    Spurrier was far worse at PR than Mullen, considering social media and the hostile regular media today.

Do you really not remember Dave Hart saying "Someone should spank Spurrier and send him to bed?"
    The media roared. They loved it. They hated SOS and loved Bowden.

But that is example #100 of so many. Living out of state- I heard complaint after complaint about the man. ALL THE TIME.
    Yes, SOS learned to manage the media as he got older. He learned to be self-deprecating.
    Yes, he mellowed and learned to make them laugh while at USCe. He could still be prickly (media guy at USC), but there' no comparison.
    He wasn't like that here. Not at first.
    And whiny and arrogant? Again- Spurrier was called both about 1000 times.
    AFter a loss- SOS was the worst. He threw our WR under the bus after the SECCG in 92 and got roasted for that. (And he shouldn't have done that.)

Seriously- you must be young or have a terrible memory. (Nothing wrong with either, but then don't criticize my comparison.)

Now- you can say Mullen can't act like that before he has won something.
    OK-but Spurrier was always like that.
    Both are super competitive people who are also really confident.

NOW- NOTHING I said should imply that this means CDM will win 7 SEC titles in 12 years.
    There's only one Spurrier. But I am saying I've heard all this before.

And the media hating our coach is a good thing. They will always hate a Gator football coach who wins.
    (Spurrier, Meyer, and Mullen.)

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Then I guess most teams won't have a coach for very long by your metrics.
    So you think if they don't win the SEC in 4-5 years they get they can't be top tier?

I guess Smart needs to be looking for a new job...

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. LearnedGator

LearnedGator Freshman

Sep 15, 2013

Agree with much of what you say, but I'm not ready to say CDM is a "top 5 college coach."

He is a good coach, but he's far from perfect. His recruiting is average at best. He should be doing much better especially when one considers he is the head coach at the University of Florida, and both instate rivals are down right now. The Gators should be dominating instate recruiting, and that is not really the case right now.

The other weakness is how CDM deals with the media after a loss. He needs to get better.

Finally, you can't give CDM a pass and blast TG, ultimately both offense and defense are his responsibilities. IF CDM is willing to go down with the TG ship, again, that's a flaw in how he handles his business.

Give CDM credit where credit is due, but let's not be blind to his flaws, because he has more than a couple.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    Yes and No.

Mac also had an extremely weak east the two years he won. The East isn't much better, but UGA and Kentucky have certainly provided more challenge than what Mac had prior.

13. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Even my wife who doesn't like or follow football never like SOS because he was too "arrogant and cocky"

14. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Also neither Mac or Muskrat had to win the east with a 10 game SEC schedule, no spring ball and minimal summer practice...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    This is getting better.
    Bill posted end of page 3 he didn't like "body language and facial expression" in interviews.

OH MY GOODNESS. I heard so many times from rival fans how much they hated Spurrier.
    Being reasonable- I asked why.
    Stammer, stammer. Umm- the look on his face on the sideline was what I usually got.

Now Mullen is being criticized for the same thing. Too funny.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Yeah - I never said he should be fired...lol.....

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    Spurrier was actually funny though. Mullen just sounds like a babbling fool a lot of the time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. swamp tang

swamp tang Junior

Oct 13, 2017
    I agree, except Spurrier backed it up with completely embarrassing teams we should be embarrassing. You can’t have the same arrogance when you struggle with Ole Piss and loss to aTm and a completely depleted LSU team.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The thing about Grantham that is the most compelling argument to dump him is his history as a DC... He has a history of "third and Grantham" for a reason... He thinks he's the CEO of the defense and therefore he doesn't need to get his hands on the DBs and safeties. Been that way for a while. But that cushy laid-back hands off approach has to change and he needs to fix why our DBs are 10 yards off the line when it's third and 4 years to go.

And why hasn't he taken the lead in teaching TACKLING in all that time? Our tackling digressed immensely under his oversight. He's been that way at every school that he's been. This only become apparent when he's been at one school for more than two years. One year gigs he can hide the fact that kids still had past year's experiences to fall back on, but after three years of "CEO" Grantham these kids forget the basics like tackling in open space. All of that is becasue Grantham doesn't take enough time teaching it. Dan has to get on Grantham too, but we cannot have 2 CEOs on one team... Dan must delegate exactly what he expects from his defensive coordinator, and what he expects of his defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Agree about TG and that flaws exist. But he is a top 5 coach in terms of, I can't name 5 guys that I would fire him for.
    Saban and Dabo are about all that I can think of? Maybe Jimbo? (Who I wont even count because no one here wants him)
    Maybe Lincoln Riley? After that who else is a better (known) option?

I think 3 straight NY 6 bowls and the Kirby monkey off his back put him in top 5 status.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1