Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A history lesson for those of you suddenly sour on Dan.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

and you just keep on throwing rocks

that doesn’t help either

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Do I have to? :eek:

3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

hey at least you didn’t say page 136

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    You don't start running off coaches after simply 8-4.
    but You might want to consider running off coaches after one if the worst defensive performances in UF history, all while not being able to line up correctly the entire season, while not having the maturity to not throw a shoe, while having a Star position that is next to impossible to play, an idea to teach guys to play ILB once they get to college, while mismanaging DT recruiting in the SEC, and while being known throughout the college world by a negative nickname and a history of declining defenses.
    But we could also blame covid and mcelwain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Or you can chalk it up to a disappointing end to a season in which we got the Georgia monkey off our back and also had a few brain farts that kept us from getting our asses kicked in the 4-team playoff.

You can’t honestly expect this recovery of ours to proceed with zero setbacks can you?

6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

and I don’t care how much you want to disagree, we were seriously short on talent in key positions. The best players we have are freshmen or sophs - the very people who most need practice time they didn’t get in the C2020 season.

Yes it’s excuses, but not all excuses are bogus - some are credible

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Depends i guess. I think opportunities need to be seized whenever possible. I think we missed on some obtainable opportunities this year. Not once have I tried running Mullen out of town, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be held accountable for his issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

"Held accountable"? What does that mean? How is he to held "accountable"?

"Held accountable" by who? Internet posters?

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Hell yes we missed on some “obtainable opportunities “ this season, but man, to re-use a shopworn example, even infallible Nick Saban lost to East Central Louisiana Art School or whatever it is. Shit happens - surely you can see this isn’t the finished product. For reference look back 3 years to 4-6.

Back away from the ledge and put down your pitchfork

10. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    This is the first time I’ve clicked on this thread. Y’all are getting crazy in here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Sure, why not. Is there no accountability for a college coach?
    For me, I think its ok for message board posters to discuss areas we believe should be improved or handled differently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Look back 4 and 5 years and we were in the same place, a loss to Bama in the SEC and an embarrassing bowl game. As for sabans loss to ulm in his first season? Is that even relevant to Mullens 3rd season?
    There is a big difference from the ledge and my posts. I think you are using the expression incorrectly in reference to me. The pitchforks one is closer, but not directed at Mullen. I have no problem with replacing Grantham.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Some things to add..
    1) I'm SMH that Grantham is staying along with most on here. But is it possible the admin balked at paying his buyout such that we wouldn't have much $ to pay the replacement? Therefore, he gets another year because of that- not because he did his job. (And he clearly didn't, IMO.) But that's not on CDM. It's just a tough reality right now.
    2) It's interesting to talk about how we would have done in a non covid year. We don't play TAMU then. But other teams were affected by covid too. Perhaps it hurt UGA? Certainly we win the 4 OOC games if we play them, but IMO we would have lost to someone else along the way. So, IMO, we are 11-1 going into the SECCG then.

I'm a CDM defender, no doubt. BUT he definitely has stuff he can work on. Temper, clock mgmt, and our not being sharp vs TAMu and esp. LSU.
    Just because fans like CDM doesn't mean we think he's perfect. But SOS wasn't perfect either. Meyer wasn't either.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    Didn't you disagree with my take on "getting rid of CDM after 3 years is a mistake and it will send the program i to oblivion"? You said UF will not go to oblivion if UF partways with CDM this year.
    Off topic. Which proven HC right now do you think UF can hire?
    I'm excluding Dabo and Saban as I don't think they will leave their current school.
    OSU coach - don't think so.
    OU coach - nope
    A&M - Don't want
    ND - maybe. On second thought, no.
    Ducks coach- maybe, but they have the Nike backer
    Iowa State - he's been there a long time. still no big 12 title.
    Who else?
    I think we have the right guy in place.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Tell you what bud: buy a paddle and spank him.

Mullen is accountable to the UAA, the AD, and the President of the University.

But not to internet keyboard cowboys.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  16. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Yes, I did disagree with the oblivion take. I'm not wanting to part ways, but I don't think we have to hire a jabroni if we did.
    I dont think this is the time or place to debate replacements, but there are more than you think who could do a great job here.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    It doesn’t appear any of you allow for nuance in what’s being said. This is just the view from the stands but it quite often sounds like your saying shades of the same thing. This is too much for me. Bandit out

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    What do you consider an internet keyboard cowboy?
    Are spankings the only way to hold a coach accountable? I'm sure the UAA, the AD, and the Pres will hold him accountable. And I'm sure its ok for us to discuss stuff on this message board. I apologize if you took my statement a bit to literal for us keyboards kowboys. YeeHaw!

• Like Like x 1
  19. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Saban lost that game in his first year while putting his system in place. In year 3, he won a NC and went undefeated. This is year 3 for Mullen. They aren’t remotely similar, so why use that comparison.

You could compare this to year 3 under Meyer, but there are differences there as well. The 2007 defense was poor, but that was due to having youth at almost every position, as well as lack of experience. The 2007 defense had issues stopping the run due to that youth and lack of depth, as Mike Pouncy played at DT that year.

The comparison breaks down in that the 2020 defense had no such issues with lack of experience. The 2020 defense had experience all over the field, and yet couldn’t even line up properly at times. This wasn’t a secondary full of freshman, but each starter had at least one year of experience, if not more. It’s not like the players were having to learn a new defensive scheme, but have been in the same scheme for the past 2 years. There is no good reason for the complete mess that the defense was this year.

20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

We would never agree if we talked all night,
    Things are getting kinda heavy, I’m traveling light...