Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A history lesson for those of you suddenly sour on Dan.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

A “roster of true freshmen” is a different animal in week 10 than in week 3. LSU has been recruiting solid for years - those true freshmen are not chopped liver with a season of experience under their belts

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

LSU was a "reeling defending champ" meaning they were in total rebuild staff and personnel wise. Getting them early when they were losing to Mizzou and MSU was an easier task than late in the year where they players aTm, Florida and Ole Miss tough and beat two of the three to salvage a 5-5 record.

LSU was a better team week 10 than week 4. They had two months for the new staff and players to gel.
    That is not an excuse for losing. It was a TERRIBLE loss. Inexplicable in fact. Nonetheless the fact is that in a normal season we likely go 12-0 in the regular season if all things are equal.

Our schedule was put in a blender. We had several games moved around and practice routines broken. This season is an anomaly.
    I never wanted Grantham here and I still don't, but some insiders still believe there are changes to come in the next couple weeks and Mullen is as aware of the need for the D to get fixed as anyone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. tilly

This.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    Bama beat them 55-17 a week before us. Did they just gel the week of our game?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    I agree it was a terrible loss. Its just difficult to justify our likelihood of a 12-0 season when we know we were fully capable of a terrible loss. While its fun to pretend what could of been, let's not go too far we forget what actually was.

6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Let it go man. We aren’t Bama. There are reasons for that, some that we can do something about, some we can’t without putting ourselves at significant risk. The rules will never be enforced evenly - we can take that to the bank

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. tilly

Fair enough. So, Just adding the 4 guaranteed wins that were cancelled and subtracting aTm gets us to 11 wins. I think 11-3 would have folks much less on edge.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Dude, we have 3 NCs and 8 SEC Championships under 2 of the greatest head coaches in history, and have never once gone undefeated. I’m amazed at how unrealistically demanding some of y’all are

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    You've posted how much you want a new coach for a while.
    Maybe find a new team? Cause Dan will be here a while- and deserves to be.
    Oh- and Spurrier was arrogant, Meyer was arrogant.
    Our good coaches could be called arrogant. (Spurrier said he was just confident. LOL.)

So yeah- you probably need to go root for another team until CDM leaves and we hire someone like Zook, who was our last coach who was not arrogant.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. jcp

jcp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2009
    Exactly. That excuse is just that... An excuse.

And if now the new excuse is we can't compare ourselves to Alabama then really what the hell are we doing here.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Legend

Nov 19, 2014
    Lot of excuses in this thread. Read a lot of them when Muschamp was coach. Read even more when Mac was.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    So why even play the games? I'm not saying we should beat bama, I am saying we should have taken care of business against a .500 team like bama did. Everyone agrees that it was a terrible loss. I just dont like line of thinking that it wasn't fair that we didn't get to play a .500 team before they "gelled".

13. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Sure. But would it have been a false sense of security? Would 4 guaranteed wins just masked our issues and kicked the can down the road?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Acting like entitled kids throwing a fit because they can’t have what they want in season 3

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    I think you are misreading my posts. Im not demanding an undefeated season.

16. jcp

jcp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2009
    There is a difference between saying we are better than Alabama to saying we should have taken care of a team that had been playing poorly and was beaten by a wide margin the week before which is what I am saying. But let's keep digging up those excuses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Last season is behind us man. It didn’t work out the way most of us wanted, but it was a effed up season and we came up short with a very incomplete team. You don’t start running off coaches just because you’re disappointed with an 8-4 season. Everybody needs to get a freaking grip. This is not the end of the world - it’s a bump in the road on our way up. It happens

Go Gators

18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

you referred to “our likelihood of a 12-0 season” — maybe I did misread you

19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

20. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Refer to post #462 by tilly.