Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A history lesson for those of you suddenly sour on Dan.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Jan 4, 2021.

1. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Beat Georgia soundly and swept the East.

• Like Like x 3
  2. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    Did he take a paycut the years he lost to uga? If we want to spend more money put it to the assistants, or the analysts, or the recruiting dept. Mullen is very well paid already.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. digitalwangsta

digitalwangsta Sophomore

Dec 5, 2020
    IMO, that all gets cancelled out by the disastrous finish to this season. Just because he beat Georgia once doesn't mean he deserves a raise and his high salary should require him to win the East once in a while.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    NO way does the ending "cancel out" beating UGA and winning the east. You are delusional if you think that.
    The goal of the season was to make the SECCG. Losing to LSu and OU was unfortunate, but small potatoes compared to beating UGA.

But I'm NOT saying he deserves a raise. I love the man, but IMO he's paid enough.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We played bama to within 6 points in the SECCG. Getting there is goal 1. Winning is goal 2. We had a great shot at both.

I agree that lsu was shit. I can make all the excuses, including Keyontae, but it is still a horrid loss.

IDGAF about OU. If you thought going in that without the top 4 receivers in an essentially a passing offense things were going to be ok, I'm sorry for you. I made some money though.

There is no cancellation. We got very close to our goals and when it didn't happen unfortunately everyone with money to make decided not to play.

Tip for you... Always bet against the conference champ game loser in the bowl when it has lost out on a shot at a championship.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. digitalwangsta

digitalwangsta Sophomore

Dec 5, 2020
    Poor choice of words. . the UGA victory was a bright spot and nothing cancels that out. But I'm not sure that he deserves a raise just because he beat UGA. Beating UGA should be expected just like Spurrier expected to back in the day. But as great as beating UGA was, the LSU loss still pisses me off and I put some of the blame on Dan Mullen.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Can we stop talking about Spurrier's reign already? I love the guy, but that was twenty years ago

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    In essence, maybe. He did not get his bonus for winning the East the first two years. In fact, he agreed to forego all performance bonuses during the pandemic environment this year too, so he went without that one this year, as well. But, yes, he is paid very well. If he wasn't, people here would complain that we underpay our head coaches.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You’re apparently an angry person - if you’d lighten up a little it wouldn’t have any impact on our team, but you might enjoy watching them play a little more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    I brought this up because there are people here that thought CDM is not the right person for this job. There are some who thought Frost would have been a better hire. Even in Frost's interviews, he mentioned what a premier job UF is and will be a great place to coach. Yet, he turned UF down and went to Nebby.

So, is UF really a premier job? Why they have a hard time luring premier established coaches to come to UF? This is off topic, but I've read plenty of gators comments who are ready to part ways with CDM. I think it's a big mistake to do that. To change head coach again after 3 years will set this program back into oblivion. JMHO

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Stop swinging on Dan's sack and realize he has done some stupid crap the last 2 months.

Saw this same crap with chump and butters. Just because I want to see Dan win something first doesn't make me angry or bitter.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

‘swinging on Dan’s sack’? Sure pal
    QED

13. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Frost went to his alma mater. Who can fault that choice? UF is a premier job. UF does not have a hard time luring coaches, but not every coach will want the job at that moment. UF will not go into oblivion by parting ways with Mullen, only by hiring another jabroni

14. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm officially soured on Dan. He's way too arrogant and undisciplined. There are a few others coaches out there who could average 3 losses per year but at least be remotely likeable and demand that our players show good sportsmanship. Sorry not sorry.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Joaqui

Joaqui Senior

Jul 17, 2016
    Really good points here. My only thing is that we weren’t the only school with added teams to their schedule. Could we have gone 12-0 with our regular schedule? Maybe but we went 8-4 with the one we played and looked awful against all of those losses except for bama.

I hope Dan gets the defense figured out because if he doesn’t and next year is similar, the pressure on the administration and him will be immense.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Understood, but my counter to that would be...
    Most teams did not replace a cupcake FCS school with a top 5 team.
    Most teams didn't have the reeling defending champs at home early moved until the final game after they had started to gel.
    Most teams did not have their entire two deep of skill guys sit out the bowl game.

I will continue to say that Grantham sucking notwithstanding this was a 10-12 win team in a normal year and the overreaction by a fanbase (with very short memories it seems) has been disappointing.

Rational thought about true stats and data like what we lost on our schedule has been cast aside for drama and hyperbole.

Dan has to fix the defense.
    Spurrier had to fix the defense.

He will and we will be a very tough out at some point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Nothing new here. You’ve been soured on Dan for about as long as he’s been here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. jcp

jcp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2009
    Will never agree with this. LSU was an utter disaster. Calling them defending champs to try to lift them up is disingenuous and whatever 'starting to gel' actually means in reality does not translate. That was an extremely poor LSU team that should have been handled early, mid, or late schedule.

At the end of the day we had four losses and everyone had adjustments to make. LSU and Oklahoma were particularly ugly. Mullen was not my guy during the last coach search but I support him because he is our coach and I have not soured on him but the way he has been handling some things does raise some flags in my head. He needs to step up. Keeping Grantham is an absolute head scratcher of a decision.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Just to play devils advocate, how good really was a&m? Who were their best wins? Us and a team fsu beat? Are we really talking up lsu and their roster of true freshman? And we use opt-outs as an excuse rather than a sign of the team not being fully invested.
    This definitely (imo) would have been a 10+ win in a regular season. But they still would have underperformed imo.

20. Joaqui

Joaqui Senior

Jul 17, 2016

It’s difficult for me to conceptualize all of that without feeling like i am creating excuses for Dan and the team. Now on to the more important thing that you said which is the over reaction. That i think is over the top but expected bc thats just how our fan base has always been. We were on urban for not scoring 40 on every team.

At the end of it all, i believe time will show that Dan was the right guy and i feel confident that we will compete and win championships with Dan as our HC.

• Like Like x 2