Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A history lesson for those of you suddenly sour on Dan.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Jan 4, 2021.

1. charlie

charlie Freshman

Nov 22, 2016
    Biggest hit on Coach Mullen is mediocre recruiting, good recruits but not elite. Compare to TAMU, ga, LSU and BAMA

2. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    I'll ask this. What if game. Will Scott Frost survive his job at UF after 3 seasons if he had the same record he has now at Nebraska? I say he wouldn't have made it through his 3rd season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. gatorskater

gatorskater GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Good recruiting and talent in the program allows for a team to have an off game and still win a game. Thats what happened to use this year - we had to play perfect to win due to marginal talent except at a couple of positions to go along with a bad D.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Joaqui

Joaqui Senior

Jul 17, 2016
    I am a big mullen fan so take what i am about to say with that in mind. We have always talked about programs needing a premier qb to make the playoffs. We just saw a generational season with Trask and went 8-4. I’m not sure what Mullen needs to do but he has to find a way so that we dont lose 4 games with future premier qbs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I honestly don’t think ‘this was supposed to be our year’. This season was effed up from the start - little to no practice, social distancing instead of contact drills, delayed start, cancelled games, rescheduled games......

I don’t think this season was supposed to be anything besides a chance for schools to recoup a fraction of lost revenues and provide entertainment for a covid-weary fan base.

When Trask started lighting it up with Pitts and we started racking up huge points on other defenses reeling from the same factors affecting our defense, we started talking about going all the way. Texas A&M was the first warning flag that we weren’t all that, but people just blamed that on Grantham and kept dreaming and making the one mistake you never make in the SEC: underestimating your opponent. It was even more idiotic to disrespect LSU of all teams. Fans on this board acted like they were newbies to this conference, where you never take your next opponent for granted. We got burned - us and our players.

Bottom line is, we aren’t there yet. We had the QB and the TE and one electric RB. That’s it folks. That’ll cause you to start dreaming unrealistic dreams, but it won’t win any championships - not an SEC Championship, and certainly not a national championship.

Nick Saban is a once in a lifetime coach. Bama sucked for 15 years prior to Saban winning his first NC there. We need to stop comparing ourselves to Bama and stop comparing CDM’s accomplishments to Saban’s. This is not a race. We will get there with our current guy at the wheel if we just let it happen the right way and all stick together in all kinds of weather.

Go Gators

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    I kinda disagree with this. All the factors we faced this year we faced by every other team in the SEC and country. Im not sure if you are saying the fans underestimated a&m/lsu or the team did? I think the team definitely did, the fans didn't affect those losses.
    You say this wasn't supposed to be our year, but I don't think it works that way. This COULD have been our year. Nothing is promised. 3 years in, this team wasn't fully invested and didn't have championship DNA. who is to know that the future guys will?
    As for Bama, if you don't compare yourself to to the best, when will you ever be the best? Keep making excuses (or finding reasons) why you aren't as good...and you never will be.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. friscogator

friscogator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I say give Dan $7 mil a year for 3 year extension and every year he does not win 10 games he gives half a mil back.Every year he wins SEC he gets another half mil. Pay for performance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Why give him a mil raise? Keep him at 6 and give bonuses for performance to get him to 7.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. digitalwangsta

digitalwangsta Sophomore

Dec 5, 2020
    Dan hasn't done anything to deserve a raise this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Two things that don't concern me about that situation:

1) Said QB was only in his second year as a starter, without the benefit of a running game to create balance, yet CDM tailored things so he could still ball out. On deck are QBs that fit his intended style and should provide balance in the running game.

2) The four losses are squarely on the historically bad D. Had it been merely mediocre it would have been 2 losses at worst. Contrary to the way CDM shielded the criticism with the media (and what some think around here), it's unlikely he's cool with the defense's lack of productivity.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Under normal circumstances it might depend on recruiting and other characteristics of the program, like student athlete performance in class, on campus, team discipline. We might find some excuse in blaming talent on McElwain. But three years in, less than .500? I guess we would feel cursed and miserable, like, when is this nightmare going to end? I don't see how he survives a fourth season of below .500 unless recruiting was so good that even a poor staff couldn't screw it up. But what are the odds a lame duck staff could recruit so well? That's if revenue was normal.

We might not be able to pay the buyout and move on if it were the covid era... and it would be.

Off topic but I don't think a coach should survive after three or four years of general failure and don't believe they should have contracts that would pay them for years after they are released for poor performance.

It is odd how poorly Scott Frost and Cheap Kelly are doing.

12. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Then why do people like you bash coaches in posts on the internet? What's your point? If no one cares what you say and you are completely irrelevant, then why bother?

You know exactly what you are doing. Spare us your intellectual dishonesty.

• Like Like x 2
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Exactly. Danny got a reputation as a better Saturday player than practice player. Pretty sure SOS said that at some point.
    If true, guys like Trask and Danny won't get their chance based on practice yet we criticize Dan for the same thing Steve did.

14. tilly

Frost would win at UF. I am glad we have Dan. But Frost would have won here. You cant recruit in Lincoln anymore. Frost will need to rebuild a brand that modern kids don't remember. That may take a decade. At UF with this talent, he would be fine.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. tilly

Schedule. That is why 8 wins does not bother me. We only played 10 games. All against SEC teams.
    We lost 3 non-con cupcakes and FSU. 4 guarantee wins.
    aTm was added to our schedule, so remove that loss.
    LSU being rescheduled until they had gelled a bit hurt too. We likely win that game mid season.
    I think against our original schedule we head to Atlanta 12-0 and likely the playoff. In fact that point almost seems a given if you think about it.

Where is the loss on this schedule? Early LSU is the only possible loss I see:

2020 Florida Football Schedule
    • September 5 – Eastern Washington (Gainesville, Fla.)
    • September 12 – Kentucky (Gainesville, Fla.)
    • September 19 – South Alabama (Gainesville, Fla.)
    • September 26 – Tennessee (Knoxville, Tenn.)
    • October 3 – South Carolina (Gainesville, Fla.)
    • October 10 – LSU (Gainesville, Fla.)
    • October 17 – Ole Miss (Oxford, Miss.)
    • October 24 – BYE
    • October 31 – vs. Georgia (Jacksonville, Fla.)
    • November 7 – Vanderbilt (Nashville, Tenn.)
    • November 14 – Missouri (Gainesville, Fla.)
    • November 21 – New Mexico State (Gainesville, Fla.)
    • November 28 – Florida State (Tallahassee, Fla.)
    So I feel the win total is a product of 2020 being weird.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    That is about the most positive way in the world to look at it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting that one of our losses was to an A&M team we were not scheduled to play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Quite foreign to you apparently :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Because I CAN!!!!!!!

There is nothing dishonest here. I can criticize Mullen for the stupid crap coming out of his mouth and his keeping TG. I am under no illusion he reads this board or my posts and will do what I say. This is the ultimate strawman. Talk about intellectual dishonesty.

If you don't like, simply move on pumper. Its simple.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. tilly

But hard to argue with it.