Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A history lesson for those of you suddenly sour on Dan.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Jan 4, 2021.

1. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    2 years, here through 2022. I know because someone called me out on this when I posted what you did lol.

Grantham staying Florida DC over Bengals offer

2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Agree with all of that Shane. I do. I am speaking strictly of his ability as a coach. He is top shelf.

Perhaps this is all posturing for big picture changes in the program that he wants?
    Perhaps it is typical Sexton stuff? But I agree, it is not a great look, even in the short term if it is strategic.

As for some of the other stuff. I like how grumpy losing makes him. Sure beats "Ah shucks aint it cool BBQ sauce" ;)
    Grumpy losers generally try harder to win next time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. tilly

Same here. There was a post on the insider board citing this as his lame duck season coming up and I too quoted it here.
    Stupid Bungles. They even screw it up for others it seems.

4. tilly

• Fiesta Bowl
    • Choke at Doak
    • 20 point loss to UGA in 1997
    • 1997 LSU
    • Marcus Outzen game. (Tony George pregame fight)
    • 1999 blowout loss in the SECCG
    • Miss State 2000
    That is one bad loss ever year on average during that span.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    Great post! I am not a fire Dan guy at all and I think he has done a terrific job rebuilding the program in 3 years, particularly with his use of the portal and in-game decision making minus a few games. He has also made some weird statements this year to the press that have been real head scratchers and show he is letting the stress get to him.

Here is my only concern. Is part of it the recruiting violations/show clause? Has his relationship soured somewhat with the UAA the past few weeks further when you include Fuchs and Stricklin had to talk to him a couple of times about his comments? Could pressure from the alum to run a clean program be playing a role?

Why flirt with the NFL now? Could some of it be his unhappiness with the situation in Gainesville coupled with bad (but not unfixable) relations with his bosses/UAA? Then pressure to get rid of his pick for Defensive Coordinator from fans and everybody watching the horrible defensive play all year, and he basically had enough?

Could it all have come to a head right before the LSU game? That LSU game seemed to be the worst preparation by the team for a game week, then the in game decision making and play calling were consistently a real head scratcher for the majority of the game for first time this year. It just seemed really weird. Could that have been Dan packing it in for a game saying here is what it would be without me. Then of course he had to put it together for the SEC championship game, but when things weren't fixed, that is what we got for the OK game.

I am just speculating. But the end of this season just doesn't add up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    OU makes me sad because Riley is basically a better version of Mullen. 11 years younger, 2 Heisman QBs and he’s a QB whisperer, offensive wizard, good recruiter and he isn’t afraid to fire his bad DC even if it’s the brother of his former mentor/boss and legendary OU HC. That was a much tougher fire than Grantham IMO, and he did it 2 years in (and OU fans were complaining about that timing, why I LOL at posters thinking we’re the only divas in CFB).

But yeah he made the playoffs without a defense, now that he’s fixing that CFB should watch out. We got smoked by them for many reasons but I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re really the number 3 team the way they played at the end of the year.

I’ll caveat all this with I still think Dan is a top coach and he inherited a dumpster fire, I just lament that OSU and OU both had legend head coaches that built a foundation while mentoring younger guys that could end up staying a while (unless the NFL poaches).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. LearnedGator

LearnedGator Freshman

Sep 15, 2013
    Come next season, we’ll find out one way or the other.

8. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, that was kind of the point....he eventually improved after some bad losses in the first three seasons.

Not sure where you got moral victories from in noting a loss, but I'd imagine TxAM's body of work over the season is a bit more revealing than where they were/weren't ranked in week 2. Looks like you were accounting for SOS's body of work in the first comment, so it would seem to make sense to look at TxAM that way too

9. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    I spoke to this in a post earlier in December. I take a back seat to no man in my boundless affection and admiration for Steve Spurrier. He has been a Godsend in so many ways to our beloved University of Florida. But we look at his time as HBC as some halcyon days of yore when the Gators Never Lost, every game was Halfa-hunnert to Nuthin', FSU never skunked us in recruiting, the local and national media offered naught but paeans to his magnificence as a man and coach and he never did or said anything to make the Gator Nation wince.

Folks, I'm a UF '82 alum, I live and die by how my Gators do in every sport, I have opinions and a keyboard and am not afraid to employ them and I have to say: it just wasn't that way! IMHAWIO, you are showing age, bias, ignorance, some or all of the above, when you hold up any current coach to the OHBC and say "Back then..." What is different today then back then was the immediacy, the hostility and the visibility of the negativity, prompted by something in our modern world, as distinct from the world of 25 years ago, or so.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009

11. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Defend WHAT????

That statement is complete internet speculation by one poster who has no evidence to substantiate any of it.

Unfortunately, people can make up whatever crap they want and post it on this forum, and sadly, some people accept it as the truth.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    Regardless of the motive, this was a very ill-advised move, imho. The lingering effects will do no good for him or the program.

Nearly all of the fans angst and teeth gnashing is about one guy and one guy only, Todd Grantham.

Was the West Virginia stuff just speculation or was there dialogue between them and Gran? If there was Dan had to know that, maybe he was trying to help, who knows. Gran not being able to find a viable landing spot is not a valid reason to retain him here, in fact it’s the worst reason, imho.

Pure speculation on my part: Scott & Dan have been/are in deep conversations about everything from A-Z with the program. Why else would Dan be completely MIA right now?

13. tilly

Reasonable perspective. I think we just had a bad couple weeks, but I certainly appreciate the reasoned POV in your post compared to the "screw him, he goes down with Grantham, let him go to the NFL, he isn't elite" nonsense by some others.

He is a quirky guy. Maybe a bit full of himself. Sorta like Steve and Urban.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. tilly

All that is certainly possible. I think he should can TG...but I also know 1/1,000,000,000,000th about football that Dan Mullen does.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. tilly

Yeah. Lets attack our very successful HBC because of one speculative, made up post on Gator Country.

16. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    Tilly is, as the youngsters say, "En Fuego".[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. tilly

Who is defending "every last on of Dan's moves"?
    Show me a post that both defends Dan AND defends Grantham.

I haven't seen one.

Most of us defending Dan overall, also think he is losing time by sticking with TG.
    You can both, support Dan and believe he is the guy, all while thinking he has to get his defensive unit fixed.

No one knows the defense sucks more than Dan Mullen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. tilly

I think you are a generation behind. That was Dan Patrick on SportsCenter 15 years ago.
    My teenagers role their eyes at stuff like that. :D

Fistbump nonetheless my fellow non youngster. :D ;)

19. graylon

graylon VIP Member

Sep 27, 2018

These are VERY GOOD POINTS... I agree that the stress is getting to him... But he has created that with his actions and the things he says...

20. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    What's your real deal, you really have a thing against Mullen.

If we barely could field a team should we have still played?
    Do you have such disdain for all teams who couldn't play a game?

Once again you really seem to dislike the man, what give?

Is that you Mac?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1