Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A good read....

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Apr 2, 2021.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Payne was a sophomore this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    So, Locke wanted to try his hand at point guard?
    Interesting.

Why did White not choose to experiment with this proposal? After all, both Appleby and Mann made numerous turnovers this past season. With the ball in his hand as a PG, that could result in more shot attempts for Locke and hence, Locke's scoring output could have increased from the 10 ppg average. Locke also looked good when he drove inside the lane for some mid-range shots. I would not have made Locke a full time starter there but giving him a few minutes at a time could not have hurt.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And regarding Omar Payne, he was an ESPN Top 45 player and was the 8th rated center coming out of high school while Castleton was the 45th rated PF (see below). Going into his 3rd year at Florida, Payne just wanted to know what his chances of starting at center would be and White probably told him not so good; hence, the entrance of Payne in the transfer portal.

Many/Some fans argued that both Payne(C) and Castleton(PF) should start together and also play heavy minutes together.

Omar Payne - Basketball Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN
    Colin Castleton - Basketball Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

The Top 100 ESPN 2018 ranking of players:
    ESPN Basketball Recruiting - Player Rankings

Payne had shown flashes of scoring in the post when he had the chance and is an excellent defender with his shot blocking and rebounding. The problem offensively for all Florida post players is that Florida's current PGs do not do a good job of setting up post players for more shot opportunities. In this past season, players like Appleby and Mann would rather run and gun in transition while looking for their own shot first rather than trying to involve other teammates in the half-court offense.

Also, it could be on the coach for not designing alternative ways to give the ball to the post player rather than just from the PG with a bounce pass: i.e,
    - high-low passing into the post from the PF to the center,
    - enter a pass to post player at the free-throw line and let them either shoot from there or drive it inside, etc.
    - utilize a high lob pass to the post player rather than a bounce pass in traffic
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess what I am asking is that is there a chance that one or both of Payne & Locke would come back to Florida? They are both talented players. I could see it with Locke being a three-year starter but maybe not so much with Payne.
    ====================================================
    Finally, because of the 2020 coronavirus banning players from the Florida athletic facilities for months at a time, it made developing in the weight room, ?practicing and also their conditioning more difficult without the structure that UF may have provided.

Now that things are heading back in the 'normal' conditions with the vaccination program, all of the current players will now have more time again to develop (i.e, gain weight/strength, lose weight/improve conditioning) and improve upon their games playing together, hopefully.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Billy improved and adjusted, learned from his mistakes. I would be fine if White did the same. White has done a good job working the portal and improved his recruiting but his in-game coaching still needs much improvement and that’s my main criticism of him. He hasn’t improved in that aspect of the job at all and that is concerning to say the least. Will he listen to an assistant if we bring in a good one that could help him in that area? We can hope but only time will tell. I don’t have hopes that he will change but he may fool me and finally turn that corner on coaching. Some tell us each season “wait and see next year”. I’m just wondering how long are we supposed to keep waiting? 6 and counting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    CMW is a good coach. You repeatedly see us play well offensively (e.g. look at some of our shooting %, comments such as those from Krzyzewski a couple of years ago). Except for the last 2 years, we've been very good defensively.

The frustrations are about not getting over the hump to become a very good coach. The solutions seem obvious imho. Become more consistent. Have more of a killer instinct in regard to game management & with the refs. Use that & analytics to see how to close out games. Get someone who can teach post players (I think the only position where we've seen little player development).

No one wants a coach who lacks integrity. However, I think it was Spurrier who said you have to put your toe right up to the line in regard to the rules.

5. swamp tang

swamp tang Senior

Oct 13, 2017
    My 2¢:
    • If that’s the truth about Locke and Payne, get out the door immediately! Are you kidding me, Locke at PG, bwahahaha!!
    • Stupid/lazy rational by Bianci that our expectations should be low because practically none of us watched UF play bball in the 60s and 70s.
    • I don’t think MW is our longterm answer but I’ll give him 1-2 more normal seasons.
    • This team has been so frustrating because it’s not all about lack of talent, it’s mental/attention to detail/ turnover issues that’s more frustrating to watch and accept.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    We improved our numbers offensively this season but still had those lapses of going extended periods of time without scoring. And we still resorted to letting the air out of the ball trying to milk the clock and cling to a diminishing lead. It does no good to improve our offense if you are gonna throw handcuffs on our players in the last 8 minutes of the game afraid that we are gonna lose if you let them keep running offense. It makes a team lose momentum, lose confidence, and causes them to tighten up when you need them playing their best. Good coaches know this, or they make that mistake once and never repeat it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gogators73

gogators73 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Maybe. But he did go down and we weren’t a top 25 team. Even if we were it’d be the first time we were consistently top 25 since the Elite 8 team. A hypothetical top 25 team 4 years removed from the last top 25 team just isn’t good enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. If you click on a Bianchi column you're pretty much admitting you think pro wrestling is real. He's a print version of Skip Bayless whose sole job is trolling for clicks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. G8rmann

G8rmann Premium Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Not a good read (though it explains the circumstances of two recent transfers).

Little Mikey is ashamed of Gator fans. Calls us trolls, lunatics and idiots (in his tweet). Big Surprise! We who wish to see the program build upon Billy Donovan's legacy and recognize that expectations for Florida basketball ought not be the same as they were in 2021 as in 1989 are the lunatic fringe without a sense of historical perspective. We, he asserts, do not know the program's place and are dare to aspire to more. Surely, Mikey would not adopt the same static approach to program development for his adopted UCF football program.

Rest assured, that we who shared the seat near you in Alligator Alley and read your columns at the Independent Alligator, now fully share our sense of shame... in you. Rest assured, the feelings are mutual, Mike Bianchi. We have seen that you know your readership well and know precisely how to stir up imaginary controversey at the expense of Gator nation. We have seen you follow the same old formula at the Orlando Sentinel of stroking the rival fan bases and antagonizing Florida's.

Bianchi, never, ever misses an opportunity. Save yourself the time and know that little Mikey has struck again with his trademark consistency and opportunism.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. gatorade

gatorade Junior

Oct 21, 2014
    Trash article.
    Eliciting quotes or citing Mike White's brother as a character reference is pretty lame.
    Whatever just annoys me when folks can read this and can't read between the lines.
    Hope next year he makes a turn.

• Like Like x 2
  11. supduc

supduc Freshman

Nov 30, 2016
    I like MW and don't want to fire him If we can avoid it, but that's my biggest issue as well, it's the lack of improvement.
    I remember when someone asked Mike White a while back why he wasn't running a lineup that was putting up better stats more frequently instead of putting in the lineup that was going on scoring droughts and allowing teams to go on late runs and he replied "we don't focus on that"

Well... don't you think maybe that's one of the core problems? Lack of self-review and making the necessary changes. People wouldn't be as frustrated if they at least saw improvement and changes coming to address issues. We're in year 6, the roster has been fully stocked (and depleted) with his guys almost twice over, and we're still seeing similar results as his first year.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Not a Bianchi fan, but can't argue much with what he writes this time. Those who don't remember life before Billy don't understand that he was a once in a lifetime coach. The 04's were a once in a life time team.

I won't say that we'll never win another title, but the odds are high that it will be a long time before we win another one, regardless of who our coach is.

White doesn't get a free pass, but finding a replacement for him that will be the type of upgrade some here expect will not be easy. Most likely, they'll fail and be fired in due course.

• Like Like x 2
  13. pstebb

pstebb Freshman

Apr 3, 2007
    Bianci’s whole reasoning is flawed. His argument that because we weren’t an elite program before Billy, we shouldn’t expect to be once he leaves. Couldn’t you say the same thing about Spurrier? Before him UF Football didn’t have any sustained excellence, they had a few bright spots here and there that were then followed by either probation or collapse, just like Norm Sloan & Lon Kruger yet I don’t recall Bianchi arguing that UF should’ve been happy with Zook going 8-4. So then it will be ok if Duke falls off in basketball once Coach K retires? Is he now saying that FSU shouldn’t ever expect to be good again since they never were before Bowden? While I’m perfectly happy for FSU to suck in perpitude I have higher standards for all sports at UF. Once we achieved elite program status ii is never ok to go back to being just an average program that is happy to just be there. I don’t expect to ever win back to back championships again, that was truly a once in a lifetime situation but I do expect the goal of the program to always be winning the championship. UF should never be an also ran program.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. thetrooper

thetrooper Junior

Oct 28, 2020
    Another of Bianchi's takes...

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Of course Bianchi wrote this article, he wants Florida to be mediocre, probably likes that fsu owns White, dude is a UCF fan.

I also don't buy that "inside info" about Payne and Loche for a second, reeks of made up trash to cover all the transfers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    What's wrong with that? Signed, The Cuomos

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    It’s not made up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    mostly agree, but it may not all be from a lack of talent, but that’s a large part of it.

19. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You are really going to make me give him the click... Sigh.

20. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Though I do think White could ... and hopefully will be the long term answer.. I agree with much of this.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1