Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A good read....

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Apr 2, 2021.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    • Like x 6
    • Informative x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
  2. gator10

gator10 All American

Nov 23, 2015
    Disagree with the basic premise of this article...because we’ve been bad at basketball in the past we shouldn’t expect to be good in the future. We’ve sunk a lot of money in facilities and we are the state’s flagship university. We should aim for and expect a high level program. Billy d showed it can be done. As I’ve stated before FSU was a football graveyard before Bowden got there.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    yeah.... I’ve had this debate following my own publication. I was posting this more bc Bianchi is the first and only to report the details of a couple decisions.

4. gator10

gator10 All American

Nov 23, 2015
    Thanks for the info about Payne and Locke. Very interesting.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I like the way his brother framed it:

I like to think everybody in our family has a high level of integrity. We’re never going to break the rules and we’re never going to take shortcuts. I hate the level of cheating in college basketball and we need to clean up the sport. Mike has always done things the right way. He’s not going to break the rules and he’s not going to lie to kids.

This "integrity" point matters a lot to me. I think it doesn't matter a lot to some of the "fire him now" folks here, like the gray one. If they could get 25% more wins, with 50% less integrity, they'd take it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    Thanks! I really like Bianchi when I agree with him (...and loathe him when I don't :cool:)

Funny quote from Buddy Ryan: (from memory :confused:) "When you start listening to the fans, you end up sitting with them." :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. UTGator

UTGator Junior

Oct 5, 2010
    Interesting point on the chemistry but I'm not sure what Payne or Locke have done at this point in their career to think they deserve to be the man (i.e. Locke) or start (i.e. Payne). I agree with Payne leaving though at this time in his career heading into his senior year. He won't start over CC do he needs to go somewhere where he will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    doesn't have to be either or..

and I disagree with the premise which is to essentially lower our expectations, and accept what he gives us, because he’s a good guy..

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. bakaduin

bakaduin GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I get the general point of your article (and Bianchi’s) and I don’t disagree that your general premise is a reasonable one to argue. That being said, it is not dissimilar from the dilemma LSU faced in football a few years ago. You’ve got a coach who has been successful but seems to be stuck at above average with no chance at a championship. You fire them and you could easily get a worse coach. That being said, this article complete discounts the fact that you could get a coach that gets you over the hump (see Ed O). Heck it happened when we went from Ron Zook to an up and coming guy named Urban Meyer. So I’m not a fan of letting the fear of being worse stop you from being better.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    fair enough.

again- I was more so posting bc Bianchi spelled out something I was unwilling to post here: details on a couple transfer decisions.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. gogators73

gogators73 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I get what Bianchi is saying, but I’ve said it over and over again. Florida should be a top 25 program (not every single week or every single year, but vast majority of the time). That’s not a high expectation. The lunatic fringe that wants back to back titles every few years is like 0.001%. The fans that just want a team that not only makes the tournament, but makes it as a good seed most of the time is the big percentage. I can’t blame any Gator fan that wants to be a top 25 program and shame on any Gator fan who thinks that is unrealistic.

I had heard that Locke rumor, but figured it wasn’t true because him at PG would be a disaster.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Mike Bianchi demanding that people stop criticizing a UF coach is pretty dang rich.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Some good info in the article. I agree that the premise is garbage. Basically saying mediocrity should be accepted as Florida used to be a lot worse. He should’ve reframed it to...with young coaches like Billy D, we need to be patient as we are along for the ride as they are learning on the job.

• Like Like x 2
  14. supduc

supduc Freshman

Nov 30, 2016
    I'm not clicking a Bianchi article.

Do you know who he also defended against unhappy fans?

I'll give you a few hints:
    * Charismatic younger coach.
    * Hired after a national championship winning coach.
    * Coach was generally well liked as a person by administration and fans.
    * Failure to win SEC championships
    * Lack of player development.
    * Good recruiter of talent, yet somehow couldn't actually manage a roster.
    * Inconsistent play from his teams, despite having superior talent on paper.
    * Conservative play calling in game causing multiple late collapses and losses that shouldn't have happened.
    * Throws players under the bus in press conferences vs. accepting blame for coaching failures.
    * Administration had to come out and publicly show support.

In case you haven't figured it out, Mike White is Gator MBK's Will Muschamp.

Bianchi posted multiple times supporting Muschamp, including such gems after we fired him as: "You heard me, Gators, Will Muschamp will win in South Carolina".
    How did that work out? According to Bianchi-logic SC was just being unreasonable with their lofty expectations to win more than 4 games a year.o_O

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

Of course, if KJ had not gone down (and in the most horrific way) we would have been a top 25 team this year, probably with a very high seed.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    The article lost credibility with me when it said White is a good coach. Good coaches don’t repeatedly make the same mistakes. Nobody has claimed that White isn’t a good person, good dad, good guy. But what he is hired to do is coach, and he’s paid a pretty good amount to do that. Nobody expects our basketball program to win a championship or go to the Final Four every year, I think most of us just want a team that is consistently top 25 and competitive for the conference championship, at least one of the top three or four in the SEC. Just making the tournament every year for a cup of coffee and a quick goodbye in the first weekend isn’t anything to write home about. Yeah, making the tournament is an accomplishment and lots of teams would be ecstatic to just go that far, Louisiana Tech for example would probably hold a parade for a coach that made the tournament. But we aren’t Louisiana Tech, and our expectations should be a tad higher than that. Give me a coach that knows how to coach a team that plays to win, not play to not lose. There IS a difference. That’s my opinion.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  17. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I’d be fine if White was learning and improving his miscues in late game situations but he hasn’t. We saw the late game collapse against Oral Roberts just as we have seen in his previous years here at Florida. I’ve seen enough. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    The fire White contingent appears to be dug in. I’m glad our AD agrees with people like me and Bianchi.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Billy improved greatly as a coach during this juncture. Let’s see who we hire as assistant and how next season goes. White has shown he can adapt to his players’ strengths. He’s just too uptight in late game situations.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Quick . . . somebody call a doctor. 'Hoops has gone mad! :emoji_fearful:

• Funny Funny x 3