Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A frustrating team...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Mar 23, 2019.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    ... with some obvious missing pieces.
    But they played their asses off all year.
    Thanks for the memories JH, KA ... and one of my all time favorites, Kevarrius Hayes.
    And thanks to this forum and its posters for another fun season of hoops talk.

:(

• Like x 21
    • Agree x 6
    • Winner x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  2. gogators73

gogators73 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Time to see if White can make the 2019-20 season special with a grad transfer big. Have to imagine we are an attractive place to land next year.

That’s why he makes the big bucks.

Going to be a long summer!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Michigan was clearly better than us. They look like a Final 4 team. You can see what we need to get back to that level... more quality big men.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Very frustrating, but they were who they were all season - an undersized team with no front court. Still we made it to the tourney in a down year and got one win. We need 1. a couple immediate impact transfer bigs 2. guys that can get to the hoop. I'm confident we'll get at least one of those for next year, and return 3 freshmen that grew up right in front of our eyes and got a ton of experience

Thanks as well AKA. Let's see what we can do to keep this forum open in the offseason. The future is still bright for Gators basketball

• Like Like x 5
  5. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    It helps also if your wings can put the ball on the floor and finish. Their wings can do things ours can't.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Basically a repeat of last year (minus the on-fire first few weeks to start last season).

This season was closer to going down the tubes. So at least they got some late wins (2 out of 3 vs LSU) to prevent that, and stay in the NCAAT field. The NCAAT experience should hopefully help the returning freshmen for next year.

But we really do need to go back to the drawing board. Other than the 3 freshmen, it seems we are basically starting over. It'll be awhile before we really know how next year's team is going to look, though obviously the 3 recruits are a nice class.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    Yes, a frustrating conclusion, but lots to be happy about. Overcome injuries, transfers, and major senior slumps, played three freshmen big minutes, made the tournament, beat a higher seed, and played tough against a much better team. Hate to see the seniors go, but I am exceptionally excited to see how the freshmen improve with a year's experience and a full offseason in our strength and conditioning program. We have a talented group of freshmen coming in and have a chance to be dynamic offensively if we can figure out the five.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    They we're final 4 team last year, but they also didn't seem overwhelmingly good or anything.

We just saw what a really good defensive team does to a putrid offensive team. We hung around with 3's early and our own D, but we didn't really have any other answer in the 2nd half. Esp with getting dominated on the offensive glass.

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Serious question for anyone:
    Why can't we recruit big men....especially big white men?
    Why is it we only get one quality BIG every decade and a half?
    How is it that we've never seen another Donnell Harvey for the last 20 years?

• Like Like x 1
  10. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Agree.

For me, next season will be one of the most anticipated in a long while. And that’s saying slmethin’... seeing that I’m chomping at the bit each year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    My older brother was watching with me today for the first time this year and was wondering why we don't set more ball screens. We do need to, especially when you have players that can't blow by their man. Hoping Scottie and Tre bring that next year.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    Next year's prospects really remind me of teams like 2000 or 2012. Young, a little small, potentially very good on offense, and a near perfect fit for the offense.

• Like Like x 2
  13. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Give me an immediate impact grad transfer big + fewer injuries and we have a good chance of finishing top 3 in the SEC next year

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Most frustrating thing for me is seeing Hudson/Allen go quietly into the good night. Just not the senior leaders I expected and I am disappointed for them but not surprised how it ended.

Hayes gave everything and really gonna miss his defense and energy.

• Agree Agree x 7
  15. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    They got to the NCAAs after the season appeared to be circling the drain, and that is success in my book.

UF needs to rebrand itself as a program that both recruits and develops long and mobile interior players, before it can consistently take down squads like Michigan’s. Not sure how far they will move in that direction next year, but we shall see.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I’m eager too! For next season.

Want the UAA to do a better job of promoting the sport. They need to listen to us and @akaGatorhoops ! Want to get the Rowdies and the odome/ExactTech back to it former intimidating venue!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Enjoyable season, love me some Gators
    no matter what. UF learned some reality early in the year and made adjustments.

Pulled together a respectable 20 win year,
    tournament win, highly ranked class coming in - as we will all be watching with interest, perhaps the transfer portal will cough up a player or two.

I would think UF has the potential to be a top 16 next year. Hopefully the new team will mesh and go. Gonna be an interesting off season so hopefully the board keeps us tuned in!

• Like Like x 2
  18. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I agree, but it seemed late in the second half today, we had 4 straight "drive to the hole" possessions with a turnover in traffic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Senior

Nov 26, 2013
    You have to cheat more to get those guys. There I said it. Lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    AN had a rough second half. But the guys aside from KJ just float around the perimeter on his drives. Some of them need to learn to cut to the basket. Really hoping Lewis and KJ will provide more of that next year.