Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(W-GOLF) A Day Unlike Any Other for Gators at Augusta National (merged Augusta threads)

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by gatorjjh, Mar 29, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Thursday, March 28, 2019
    Brooks Headlines Day in NYC for Augusta National Women’s Amateur
    Lucy Berres UF
    Sierra Brooks spent Wednesday in New York City on a press tour for the Augusta National Women's Amateur.
    GAINESVILLE, Fl. – UF women's golfer junior Sierra Brooks spent all day Wednesday on a press tour in New York City with fellow SEC golfer Maria Fassi of Arkansas women's golf, promoting the inaugural women's amateur event being held at Augusta National golf course next week, prior to the Masters.

The day started with stops at CNBC the Today Show with the entire morning crew, including Carson Daly and Dylan Dreyer. They were accompanied by World Golf Hall of Famer Nancy Lopez, who has 48 LPGA Tour titles and three major championships.
    Brooks Headlines Day in NYC for Augusta National Women’s Amateur - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 1
  2. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 1
  3. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

4. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Saturday, April 6, 2019
    A Day Unlike Any Other for Gators at Augusta National
    UF ~ Scott Carter / Senior Writer
    UF golfers Sierra Brooks and Marta Perez played Saturday in one of the most anticipated women's tournaments in years.
    "That's new territory,'' said UF women's golf coach Emily Glaser. "To be honest, I think I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole thing a little bit. They learned a lot."

With their fathers carrying their bags in the final round of the inaugural Augusta National Women's Amateur, the names of UF juniors Sierra Brooks and Marta Perez both appeared on the green-and-white leaderboards poking at the sky around azalea-drenched Augusta National Golf Club.

The best part of Martez's day came on the front nine when she birdied holes 5, 6 and 8 to move to 2-under for the tournament. Her father, Jose Perez, traveled from Spain to serve as her caddy and share in an event that women's golf observers consider a monumental boost to the game.
    A Day Unlike Any Other for Gators at Augusta National - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Special day, special round of golf

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Tuesday, April 9, 2019
    Gators' Duo Moved and Motivated by Augusta Adventure
    Scott Carter / Senior Writer UF
    UF golfers Sierra Brooks and Marta Perez motivated by experience of playing at Augusta National.
    As Brooks sauntered through the crowd and off the course, she stopped to sign autographs and slap high-fives, many of them with Gators fans lining the walkway. They offered support throughout the day for Brooks and UF teammate Marta Perez in the inaugural Augusta National Women's Amateur.

The first women's tournament in the history of the storied course drew rave reviews from fans, players, Masters officials and the media. Brooks finished tied for 10th and Perez tied for 21st.

Still, as Brooks stood under near the big oak, she was very much in the moment and aware of the significance of being one of 30 qualifiers for the final round. Twenty of those in the final round are current U.S. college players.
    "This event is the pinnacle of women's amateur golf, and this is a tournament that I'm definitely going to be itching to go get next year,'' Brooks said. "There were so many moments where I thought I had to pinch myself to make sure it's real. This is the best amateur golf experience I've had.
    Gators' Duo Moved and Motivated by Augusta Adventure - Florida Gators

7. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Great experience.

I was reading where one player (Arkansas or A&M golfer) was shaking on the 12th tee. I would be too. Just playing the replica holes at golden Ocala was neat for me...

• Friendly Friendly x 1