Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A Date That Will Live in Infamy

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by HallGator, Dec 6, 2019.

1. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Saturday marks the 78th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor which plunged the United States into the 2nd world war. My father was one of those who joined not long after the war started. He would have been 102 this year had he still been living. The war totally changed the face of the world and brought on the baby boomer generation which I and, I believe, several other members that post here regularly are part of.

From the link I supplied approximately 500,000 veterans of the war, or 3%, are still alive today and they are dying at an estimated number of 350 a day with the last ones being gone in around 5 years.

How Many WW2 Veterans are Still Alive? - OurMilitary.com

• Like Like x 6
  2. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Thanks for posting.

My dad was in Germany for 2+ years; died in ‘93 at 69.

Never talked about the war, or the daily carnage he saw.

they’re the greatest generation for a reason.

• Like Like x 6
  3. boligator

boligator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    My Dad, bless his soul, joined the merchant marines at age 17 with his mother's blessing since he was considered a minor. Made several trips from the US to England carrying much needed supplies for the war effort. He had stories that made my hair curl. Seeing U-boat torpedoes right off the bow while on watch (he was on liberty ships built of concrete) and saw many sailors and vessels die and sink but he never lost faith in what he was doing. He also had good stories about the friendships he built in a brutal time of war while overseas. He will always be my hero. He was truly a part of the BEST generation. I miss him dearly.

• Like Like x 4
  4. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    A good friend’s father-in-law lived on Kauai and was walking to breakfast at a local cafe when he saw strange planes flying overhead heading towards Oahu.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    My dad joined the Coast guard at 17. Coast Guard becomes part of the Navy in wartime. Served in the Atlantic theater.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    One of my three uncles fought in the Pacific against the Japanese. He lives to this day... :)

• Like Like x 3
  7. studegator

studegator All American

Feb 24, 2008
    Have one uncle wounded and left for dead on one of the pacific island campains. He was discoverd still alive when they were picking up the bodies and was operated on in a hospital ship. Lived into his 60's.
    Dad was in the occupation force in Japan and developed a deep respect for the Japenese. He would have been in the invasion force had the atomic bomb not been used.

• Like Like x 1
  8. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    If you ever get the chance to visit the Arizona Memorial you MUST do it. Truly humbling.

I remember doubting the reports that you could still see oil come to the surface but as I stood by the rail I saw it come up and spread its sheen across the water. Very moving.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    I was on the Arizona memorial when a Japanese naval ship came into harbor. Their sailors were in their full dress uniforms, ringing the deck, flags were half mast, and they were all saluting. It was moving.

• Like Like x 1
  10. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    One of the most horrific and less known stories of the War’s Pacific theater is the bloody battle of attrition for the Aleutian Islands of Alaska. This Japanese invasion of the United States left the Japanese soldiers for dead but was an enormous attack on American morale. The result was a bloody war of survival and attrition.

A primer on this little known but horrible battle is available here.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.history.com/.amp/topics/world-war-ii/battle-of-the-aleutian-islands

• Like Like x 1
  11. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    From time to time I wonder for how many more years this Day will be actively remembered and commemorated. It certainly was all through my childhood (born 1948), into my young adulthood in the 60's and beyond. I remember being shocked that our niece picked December 7th for her wedding in 1984. With the passing of our veteran fathers and grandfathers and fewer people have close personal connection to the events of that day and the horrors of the war that followed, it will inevitably become an historical memory more than one remembered so personally.

12. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    The Arizona Memorial should be on every single Americans bucket list!

13. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    In 6th grade history our project was to interview a WWII veteran on their experiences. I entered that interview as a typical 6th grader just wanting to get it over with so I could get back to screwing off somewhere. I talked to a great uncle for over 3 hours that day, and truly left a different kid.

• Like Like x 2
  14. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    The youngest WWII veteran was born in 1930. I would imagine, since the last WWI veteran died in 2012 at 110, we will still have some into the 2030s (without taking global climate change and the rise of the AI "Singularity" into account). (I expect bacon ratings, but I'm sincere in my concerns and am not trying to diminish the valor of our veterans.)

15. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    My dad was from Sebring and joined the Coast Guard in 1941. He was part of the Matchbox fleet-83 ft. wooden hull ships-and ended up in the D-Day invasion rescuing those that did not make it to the beach.

• Like Like x 1