Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

A Curious Case of the Florida Offense

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Matherly87, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Started this new thread so this conversation doesn't get buried.
    I have some thoughts that might be key to fixing our ineptitude. This is not a reaction to today's game only, but also comparing much of our troubles from last year.

1. Nembhard and Locke do not need to be on the court together.
    Nembhard struggles in the DDO against better defenses with experience and/or size (see FSU and 1/4 of our games last year). Locke is not someone who can drive with much consistency. He needs someone that can breakdown the D and get him open looks outside (think of Lee Humphery with Taurean Green). When AN was at Montverde he had plenty of players that could drive. We can run it successfully if others can initiate the drive. This is why I suggest in another thread to start AN with Mann and Lewis.
    2. When Mann plays PG then Locke comes in at the 2.
    Mann may not be ready to handle the DDO offense out top. In HS he was not the PG and always attacked from the wing. When he brought the ball up it was usually very controlled, much like AN does now. Mann may not be as good a passer as AN but he can put a defender on his hip and drive. This is what he did in HS and was very good at finding the right player to pass off to. If he can lure the defender off of Locke then Mann will find him.
    3. Johnson must be a consistent contributor if playing the 4 spot.
    If he slumps, this team slumps. Last year the 3 and 4 spot was a work in progress for much of the year so we got little help there, until KJ came around. His focus as a PF is reacting to the inside post play, setting picks and starting his attacks from the corners. So the offense attack has to start out front. That said Blackshear can't do it all at every game or else every team will start to Hack a Blackshear like FSU did today. Johnson is the player to relieve the presser on KB and keeps our offense flowing even when things get difficult.
    4. Lewis has to get more court time to positively affect this team.
    My point is Lewis might not be the scorer we hoped so far but he makes positive things happen in many other ways, a la Corey Brewer. I thought it strange today that after 38 minutes of play and the game out of hand, CMW went iso with Lewis getting the ball to see if he could finish, twice. So far when Lewis is in the game he looks more concerned about who he is supposed to pass it to next. But when we bring in the subs at the end its Lewis trying to take it to the hole. Neither time worked but Coach seemed to say no other combination on the court worked for the whole game so let's see what the kid can do. The more time on the court the more comfortable he will become and good things will happen.
    5. Somewhere in our rotations we have to get Nembhard, Lewis or Mann, Johnson, Blackshear, and Payne ready to play together when needed.
    We have to be ready to adjust depending on the match up. Going short is not going to work every time out. If we only play a certain style we will become too predictable and other teams will be ready for us come tourney time. Sometimes we will have to be more athletic or taller or faster or simply outscore the other team. Lewis, Johnson and Payne know how to out hustle anyone if you just turn them loose.

I still believe we will see much better basketball in November and December but our offensive approach needs to change in many ways if we hope to go far.

• Like Like x 4
  2. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t understand the lack of any mention of Glover. The 3 guards who played yesterday all stunk, to put it mildly. Glover is much quicker than all of them and gets rid of the ball quickly. He got the ball down low to Blackshear yesterday without hesitation. Who else did?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Haven’t seen anything out of Glover to deserve more playing time in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    Haven't seen anything out of the others to justify THEIR playing time.

5. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I know this is far simpler than reality but sometimes a team shoots really, really badly. We had open shots. Lots of them. The rim rejected the ball. That was ugly Sometimes it just happens.

The game reminded me of the UM football opener. It was just a really ugly game with very bad basketball played by both teams.

6. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    As long as Nembhard plays like he's got arthritis, our rebounders need to be pushing the tempo off misses instead of looking for the outlet to Nembhard. Our best possessions yesterday came when Keyontae led the break. A kid similar to him at my HS used to get a few easy buckets every game because everyone assumed the ball would be slowed down and outletted to our PG. He'd just keep it almost like a QB sneak all the way. It's a wasted opportunity when Nembhard takes it up. Nembhard's body looks totally worn down from all the ball he played this offseason.

Going big with Payne at the 4 is our best look with Keyontae at the 3, Lewis at the 2 and Mann at the 1. But that'll never happen since coach seems to be in love with Locke and Nembhard. Coach saying "we have five freshman that have no idea how to play a high-level game" was very puzzling to me. If anything the three main freshmen played better than our starting backcourt. Seemed like his way of deflecting the blame off him. There's nothing wrong at all with our freshmen, minus Glover and Jitoboh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Well, at this very early stage, guard play appears to be a theme. Let's hope these guys break the two-game slump.

Player........FG%.....3pt%.....Asst.....T/O
    Nembhard...21.4.......25.0.......7..........4
    Mann..........35.3.......20.0.......0..........2
    Locke..........26.1.......14.3......1...........3
    Glover.........00.0.......00.0......1...........1

It's only two games, so the efficiency will improve. These stats, though, show a picture of inefficiency and total lack of production from the guards. Nine assists to 10 turnovers. That needs to improve. Locke needs to start hitting. Maybe they are all adjusting to the new 3pt line. Production is nonexistent. Change that and the Gators will look more like the team we expected.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Great comment Cincy on KJ getting the ball on the break. He did lose one early forcing it into the pressure but you're right when he did bring it up in the second half. There for a stretch of 4-5 minutes he seemed like the only one who wanted to win this game. At this point Locke is all about him playing sound defense in the coaches mind but I would think Scottie could play his spot with better defense and contribute more on offense.

9. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Glover isn't ready. He's still trying to figure things out, how to manage the offense. Obviously everyone else looked poor to bad but let's see how they do over the next few games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That’s your opinion, which I respect. However, I haven’t seen anything to indicate that he isn’t ready. He’s the one guard that has been able to get into the paint. He has missed a few easy shots inside, but that’s probably nerves, and it’s better than missing difficult shots. I don’t know how Glover will do compared to the other guards, but it’s apparent that he is way quicker than the other guards, he is physically strong, he can get into the paint, and he doesn’t hang onto the ball.
    I understand, I think, why White is starting the 3 guards that start. I believe that it’s because he believes that they can all shoot the rock. FSU took away Blackshear’s inside game and challenged the Gators to make shots from the perimeter. We didn’t and we lost.
    We have what appears to me to be 4 really athletic guys on the team in Lewis, Payne, Johnson and Glover. One of them starts.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yours as well my friend. Agreed that Glover has not gotten his chance and you have been high on him for awhile. When he is in I haven't seen him play a high level of defense. So the offensive side does not always matter especially to CMW. That may not be fair a statement in all cases but we both know CMW won't leave you on the court for long if you lack on defense.