Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

90 day truce on tariffs with China?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorknights, Dec 2, 2018.

1. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I'm glad I've replaced most of my tech (computer, watch, phone) in the last year. I have a feeling things are going to get expensive for awhile.

Shame, with trump starting a trade war with Mexico too, that I can't go out and buy all my produce for the next couple years. At least it's summer and I'll have a lot of produce coming out of the garden for the next several months.

China’s retaliatory tariffs on US$60 billion of US goods kick in, fanning fears of extended trade war

China on Saturday raised tariffs to a maximum 25 per cent on US$60 billion worth of US products in retaliation for Washington’s latest tax increase on Chinese goods, fanning fears that the trade war between the world’s two biggest economies will not end soon.

US President Donald Trump has also tried to strike a better trade deal with Beijing by taking steps to stifle China’s technology sector, such as effectively banning American firms from supplying parts to Chinese telecommunication giant Huawei Technologies.

The Chinese leadership led by President Xi Jinping had indicated it would implement further retaliatory measures against Washington, depending on what Trump does. China has recently hinted at restricting its supply of rare earth minerals to the United States.

China’s Ministry of Commerce said on Friday that it will publish a list of “unreliable” foreign entities deemed to have damaged the interests of Chinese firms, with specific measures for those on the list to be revealed “in the near future”.

2. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
  3. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
    Look Who’s Winning the U.S.-China Trade War

Production is no leaving China and returning to America. It is just moving to Vietnam.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    Ya but it's made by only the best child laborers.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I, for one, am surprised that there are countries other than China with much lower labor costs than America. Who could have guessed that companies wouldn't bring manufacturing back to America if you slapped tariffs on China to make it more expensive? Not trump apparently.

6. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    Nintendo Moves Some Switch Production Out of China, Adapting to Tariff Threat

Nintendo Moves Some Switch Production Out of China, Adapting to Tariff Threat

Takashi Mochizuki
    June 12, 2019 4:34 a.m. ET

TOKYO—Nintendo Co. is shifting some production of its Switch videogame console to Southeast Asia from China to limit the impact of possible U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electronics, said people who work on Nintendo’s supply chain.

It is another example of manufacturers adapting to the tariff threat. Taiwan’s Foxconn Technology Group said Tuesday that it was ready to move assembly of Apple Inc.’s iPhones out of China if necessary, and Japan’s Sharp Corp. , which is controlled by Foxconn, said last week that it planned to move production of personal computers to Taiwan or Vietnam.
    ----------------

The Chinese will pay for not correcting their crooked trade deals they were able to get away with when naive Obama and Bush were in office or they will pay the price as this grows larger.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    nowhere in that story did it say any of that production is coming back to the US like trump continues to lie about.

8. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    Manufacturing jobs in the US have increased a bunch under Trump and many due to tariffs and trade deals being renegotiated.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Making Vietnam Great Again!

I'm guessing you don't know much about our trade with Vietnam, since Trump hasn't told you anything about it yet.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I actually posted an article up thread(which fever ignored) that stated that the TA is contemplating labeling Vietnam a currency manipulator because our trade deficit with them is growing.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 7:11 PM
  11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    They didn't end up doing that. My favorite part of that was that they considered doing it for Ireland too, who doesn't even have their own currency. It looked like a dumb request passed down the chain based on trade deficits exclusively, after which real economists shot it down for being stupid.

12. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1