Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

8 Awesome Windows Shortcuts That are Being Totally Ignored

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by HallGator, Jan 9, 2015.

1. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Thought some of you might enjoy reading about these or refreshing your knowledge:

Every operating system and software has its own set of keyboard shortcuts and they actually make our life easier by eliminating the need for tedious mouse clicks. In fact, if you know how to move around with just your keyboard, you can increase your productivity two fold. But no matter how important or easy the shortcuts are, we often forget or ignore some of them due to reasons like very little use or awkward placement on the keyboard. Here are some of those forgotten or most ignored Windows shortcuts.

1. Ctrl + Y
    Most of you may know that “Ctrl + Z” is used to undo the immediate previous action performed by the user. This is really helpful at times, but do you actually know that there is a shortcut called “Ctrl + Y” which will redo anything that is undone? This will be a life saver at times, so don’t ever forget this shortcut.

2. Win + Pause/Break
    You can easily open the System details window in your Windows machine directly from the Control Panel. In Windows 8, it is even easier: just press “Win + X” and select the option “System.” But to make it even easier, just press “Win + Pause/Break” on your keyboard and the System details window will pop-up.

3. Alt + Print Screen
    The Print Screen (Prt Scr) key on your keyboard is often used to take snapshots of the current screen. But if you want to quickly take a screenshot of just the active window, then press “Alt + Print Screen.” This eliminates any need for editing the screenshot to just the active window.

More:

http://www.maketecheasier.com/windows-shortcuts-that-are-forgotten/

• Like Like x 2
  2. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Here's one I use all the time. These are instructions for Chrome, but it can be done in Firefox as well and probably in whatever IE is called now. I don't remember how it works in Firefox, but it was more obvious. I haven't used IE in a long time.

Suppose you often come here to Gator Country. Here's how you can get to Gator Country by typing a single character.

1. Click the menu icon on the Chrome toolbar
    2. Click "Settings"
    3. Under Search click "Manage Search Engines"
    4. Scroll down to the bottom and find "Add a new search engeine"
    5. Enter the following:

Add a new search engine - Gator Country
    Keyword - g
    URL with % in place of query - http://www.gatorcountry.com

6. Click "Done"

Now when you type "g" and hit enter in the address bar you go to Gator Country. To some extent Google auto complete does this for you, but you can get more creative.

You can change the keyword to be multiple letters, for instance "gc" instead of "g".

You can sub more complex URLs, such as "http://www.gatorcountry.com/comein/?redirect_to=/swampgas/forums/the-gatortail-pub.22/". Now hitting "gc" take you directly to The Pub, asking you to enter your password first if it's not already entered.

You can also use it for quick searches from the address bar. Suppose you want to search Rotten Tomatoes, just sub this in step 5 above.

Add a new search engine - Rotten Tomatoes Database
    Keyword - rts
    URL with % in place of query - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/search/?search=%s

Now when you type "rts" followed by a space in the address bar, it prompts you for a movie name and after you enter it, takes you directly to that movies page. It's so much faster than using bookmarks or typing out URLs. I want to go to Gator Country, I type "gc", I want to go to Reddit, I type "r", I want to search Wikipedia for The Gators I type "w florida gators". I want to now how to pronounce a word "forvo Bruschetta"

Some of these are already set up, you'll see them when you first go to the Manage Search Engines dialog. I don't remember what's default. Here's a few I have set up:

You get the idea. The only thing that really matters is the URL, the name and keyword can be whatever works for you. And if you sign in to Chrome with your Google account, the same shortcuts will carry over to every computer you sign in on (so will lots of other stuff, bookmarks, history etc, unless you turn those items off). So set it up on your desktop, and it works on your laptop.

3. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
  4. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    So when my work computer got upgraded to Windows 10, I was dismayed that they had taken away the icon you could click that would minimize all the windows and take me to the desktop.

I found out that they have instead made a small area on the far right of the task bar that does the same thing.