Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

76% of young campers test positive for Covid 19 at Georgia YMCA summer camp

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Aug 2, 2020.

1. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Those CDC guidelines were edited by the White House. Non politically connected pediatricians have different guidelines.

I care about other workers too. But what suggestion to you have that can keep supply chains opened while keeping pantries stocked at home that also keeps grocery stores closed? Come up with a workable idea for people to be fed while keeping stores closed, and I'll support it.

While we can't distance eat, we can distance learn. It is generally not as effective as in-person, especially for kids in elementary and middle school, but we also must weigh public health. Reopening schools too soon will promote spread of the virus. Too much evidence to suggest otherwise. And where there's viral spread increase, death follows. Not to mention, those that survive may have long lasting health issues such as heart problems, lung problems, neurological disorders, etc.

We all should come together and promote a flatter curve until we have this disease under control. Reopening schools too soon will be just as bad as reopening bars and restaurants too soon. If you do send your kids back, I hope the school can avoid an outbreak. I truly do. I just believe it's way too risky, especially in hot spots, where the b question isn't if school has a COVID-19 problem, it's when.

• Agree x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  2. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    do you want to try again? Read my post and then do a little research on how to use statistics. I’ll wait.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Guys, there's been a lot of personal sniping at each other on this thread. Some have been deleted.
    It seems like the subject can be discussed without accusing other posters of not caring about kids, about other posters being stupid or lying about their education.
    If you disagree with someone, simply explain why. Cheap shots at others do not make you look any brighter.

Thanks

• Like Like x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    You mean yours will be in school unless you live in a county or district where the positivity rate exceeds 5%, right?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wouldn't trivialize 300 as "some" but then that's just me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Don't have school age children but if I did, I would send them to school provided that the school enforced social distancing and mandated that all students and school personnel (teachers as well as support staff) wear masks. Otherwise I would be very reluctant. While anecdotal it seems that a number of school districts that have reopened for in-person instruction have made the wearing of masks by students optional, encouraged but not required.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sweden doesn't show any spread in the schools because they didn't set up any testing to see if there was any spread in the schools

How Sweden wasted a ‘rare opportunity’ to study coronavirus in schools

The American Academy of Pediatrics did say in June that it was important for schools to open. In July they walked that back and cautioned that with the virus spreading rapidly in communities, having school in person wouldn't always be the best choice.

US pediatricians walk back support for in-person schooling as WHO warns against politicization

You've been corrected on both of these misleading statements several times. At this point it is hard to believe the mistakes are just ignorance.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    nope

10. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    You nailed it.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They don’t walk it back. They say any places that have hotspots should be virtual, which I stated.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2020
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I have school age kids plus have an older one starting medical school next week. I’m torn. I’d like them in school because online learning is not a good experience yet unless you are older like a grad student. I am ok with a semester from home until we have time to survey where we are with Covid but we need to figure out safe in school learning fast. Also it’s so much more work on the parent from home.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    You're going to send your kids to a closed school?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    First statement- physical school for every child is the goal. Second statement- in some place physical school is too much of a risk.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    A hotspot is generally defined as a 10% positive testing rate and an increasing number of infected. You good with using that definition for deciding when areas should be virtual?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Actually Hotspots is a vague meaning with no exact definition.

What is a Hotspot Anyway?

My view of a hotspot is the Miami area for sure. An area where pretty much everyone can agree isn’t controlling the virus very well. Other areas could be argued as well but like I stated, most of Florida’s counties should be able to get back to in person schooling for those who want to do it.

17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    upload_2020-8-2_13-1-37.png

Interesting info on Iowa HS Baseball season that just finished.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Nor are all its members calling for schools to reopen. That appears to be a convenient assumption of the poster you responded to.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    In a general sense, there is more variance in what constitutes a hotspot than when looking at a specific disease (this article was from 2017 and did not, obviously, address Covid).

But let's look at 2 county measures of risk and utilize Seminole County, Florida since you mentioned it in the past. First, Covid Act Now.

America’s COVID warning system

Overall classification "active or imminent outbreak"

This is based upon a very large number of new cases, a positive testing rate of 12.8%, which indicates insufficient testing, an ICU headroom used of 100%, insufficient data to even assess contact tracing, and is somewhat offset by declining active cases.

Basically, 4 counties in Florida are not listed at the highest level of outbreak.

Now, here is the data put together by Scott Gottlieb,who you have linked in the past on here:

COVID-19 Tracker | American Enterprise Institute - AEI

Here is the description of his measure of risk:

His measure for Seminole County, Florida: 13.56. That looks like a "hotspot" to me.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. surfn1080

surfn1080 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 26, 2008
    This is concerning. Odd how so many reports from other countries with active cases and contact tracing showed almost no spread at all with kids.
    This incident needs to be studied and reviewed quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1