Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

76% of young campers test positive for Covid 19 at Georgia YMCA summer camp

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Aug 2, 2020.

1. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I occasionally got dragged into my wife's first grade classroom on my days off from work. I wouldn't classify myself as a scientist--I'm a chemical engineer, not a chemist. We usually solve problems, not create them.

• Like Like x 2
  5. mutz87

mutz87 #restinpowerrbg VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    OT: Herding cats phrase also associated with university faculty.

Correlation of behavioral issues between highly educated adults and young children? :D:D

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Absolutely. Had a departmental meeting the other day and just about every idea was shot down by faculty. So much about what we can't do, instead of what we can. Faculty in my specific major tend to be more problem-solving oriented, but faculty in my discipline can be brutal. I know all departments can be tough, but try twisting the arms of a bunch of divas . . . it typically becomes a matter of :emoji_thinking: :emoji_hushed: :emoji_flushed: :emoji_fearful: :emoji_rolling_eyes: :emoji_angry: :emoji_persevere: :emoji_thermometer_face: :emoji_zipper_mouth:

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    The Fed's have nothing to worry about here. They will work out things fine for themselves I'm sure. Inside knowledge is a great thing. Whatever pain they inflict on the middle and working class won't matter to them. They will always be one step ahead in their investments. The majority of people will be fighting over the guards on the sidewalks

9. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  10. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Be prepared for them to come in within the first two weeks when there are positive tests in the school. Just like what happened in Georgia, when 9 people, 6 students and 3 staffers, tested positive after the first week of school. Today and tomorrow there will be distance learning while the schools deep clean.

Of course, if any of the nine infected people were in school, deep cleaning may not matter, as it's possible these people infected others. These asymptomatic people will likely not have any symptoms for the next week to 10 days, so a weekend plus 2 days won't have much of an effect if school reopens Wednesday, and there is another group of people who are sick who attend.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Nearly 100k children got COVID-19 in last two weeks of July.

Almost 100,000 children in the U.S. were sickened with the coronavirus in the last two weeks of July, according to a new report.

The analysis, conducted by American Academy of Pediatrics and the Children’s Hospital Association, revealed a 40 percent increase in COVID-19 cases in children between July 16 and July 30

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not worried at all. If others are then they can remote learn.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Why did cases among children increase in July? Were there many schools opening up?

14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    COVID-19 is only the third leading cause of death in the US, having already taken 162,000 American lives. And it's mostly preventable by staying home. And those who don't stay home and get sick, spread the disease throughout the community, only making things worse. If you aren't worried now, when will you be? When the death toll hits 500,000?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    First of all you must make the distinction between dying of Covid and dying with Covid. 2 different things. And my kids don't come in contact with people who are elderly or immune suppressed. If a teacher goes wishes to teach with those pre-existing conditions then that's up to them. Your solution of doing home schooling has so many issues for kids that you disregard them like they are meaningless.

And people don't look at data from every European country that show Covid doesn't cause an outbreak when kids return to school. I do appreciate the effort of trying to group Israel in there. Good try. Might want to look at a map though.

16. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    What is it about Israel that makes their results inapplicable to our situation?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Counting deaths is never an exact science. And there have been more American deaths in 2020 than expected. If that's not due to COVID-19, it's certainly not due to more people driving, because that's not happening. And Tel Aviv is as close to Athens, as Paris is to Athens. Israel is also a very western country, and has a lot more in common than Europe than it does to some of its Middle Eastern neighbors.

Of course, what happens here doesn't always directly correlate with the rest of the world. It's why we have more cases than just about any other country, and one of the leading countries when it comes to death per capita. One thing about Israel that does relate, is it was very hot when they reopened schools, which meant A/C on and windows closed. Even though classes have started in Arizona, schools themselves can't reopen until Aug 17. The forecast for 8/17 in the Phoenix area? High of 113 degrees! Of course, it's a dry heat. Just looked for my old home town in Florida (Coral Springs), and 8/17, the forecast is a high of 92 with 60% chance of rain. Having endured both, it's the difference between an oven and a pressure cooker, and you need A/C in the classroom to survive.

18. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I stated all of Europe had no issues with kids going back to school and that person quoted Israel as being considered European because they play soccer in the European championships. I pointed out that's ridiculous. Israel to me is more an outlier with regard to all the data coming out of Europe.

19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    More deaths could be because the elderly aren't going to doctors appointments. I know my mom hasn't been to any of her doctors since Feb. She has had 4 normal appointments cancelled. That is par for the course for most elderly people. You keep harping on Israel. Israel could be the outlier or could be like the US. I'll go with what every European country has done and feel good about it. You can have your kids stay home. Mine are excited to start back up.

20. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    What makes Europe more applicable to our situation than Israel?

• Winner Winner x 1