Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

$75 million for UF grad school in Jacksonville

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, May 10, 2024.

1. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Just wait until the South Florida Grad school is announced;)

2. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Didn't some organization just list us as a new Ivy League? That was probably done under his watch.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. archigator_96

Apr 8, 2020
    Lots of campuses have multiple locations. USF has a couple (lakeland and sarasota), UCF has a downtown campus, I think Half Ass U has only one in Panama City. Don't think Miami has any but they are private. UF has more than any other school but I don't think that a bad thing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    FAMU has a law school in Orlando too. Its all about acquiring the biggest real estate portfolio. Its not like they really increase enrollment or faculty much after acquiring these properties either. But I'm guessing the number of administrators and non-educational workers increases nicely.

5. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    sure - but what did he do to earn that moniker? Nothing. People are acting like he hit a triple but Uf is a great school he started on third base. It’s a shit show on the inside, even more than the normal shit show. Again, the only thing that he’s done well is garner a high level of state support. Which is important, hugely important. But inside Uf things are not as rosy and that’s on him too. To make a football analogy He’s basically Larry Coker right now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. archigator_96

Apr 8, 2020
    Oh yeah, forgot about that one. True, and I always wonder if those "satellite" campuses were more like community colleges but gives you a 4 year degree with a more prestigious name on it.

7. archigator_96

Apr 8, 2020
    Well, at least he hasn't made it worse. How long did it take for Coker to fail at Meeahmi? A few years? I guess we will see in a couple years (if he's still here and hasn't made the move to the senate or something).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass

IFAS is one of the coolest things I don't think UF gets enough credit for. Phenomenal school and resource for Florida nurseries, agriculture and landscape companies. I think it's severely underutilized by most Floridians with the services they offer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    Yeah it took a few years for the wheels to come off. I'm not saying for sure that will happen here - but he's been anointed as the best prez ever by the right, and he hasn't even been here long enough to really accomplish anything significant at this point. At least larry Coker in my example won a title in 2001 in his first year and went to the title game his second year. So far Sasse has done... what? Just not mess anything up? We think? And get a lot of money for UF - which honestly, Mori Hosseini may have accomplished no matter who was president -that guy is the major power broker at UF right now.

10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Exactly. I read the phrase about Sasse doing an"extraordinary job of keeping UF on course" and wondered how they could possibly know that in any informed kind of way. I had conversations with a colleague who serves on Fac Senate and even with some of that insider perspective, I have no way of knowing if he's doing an extraordinary job of keeping UF on course. Like you have mentioned numerous times, my colleague stated that none of the senate members had a clear indicator(s) of his strategic plan, yet a list of initiatives. Who knows, maybe 92 is secretly dialed in to the milieu of upper admin at UF and holds discrete information on Sasse's performance.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You pre-empted my gif. Well-done!
    [​IMG]

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  12. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Why do you think Fuchs suddenly stepped down?

He saw a train a coming....

No insider knowledge--I'm contrasting to the train wrecks at Harvard, MIT, Duke, Columbia, USC, etc etc, and need only point to UF getting so much publicity as THE school that handled the Hamas celebrants correctly, who stood up for their Jewish students, and who in the process, made it publicly well known that we have the largest Jewish population in the nation, are THE safe place for Jewish students, and....

....we're ranked #1 Public school by FORBES, and id'd as one of the *new Ivy's* by another publication.

I call that a damn masterful job of holding the line/ maintaining the upward trajectory.

What the hell do yall think a university president is supposed to do?

...and b4 you throw Fuchs back at me, he is the Steve Spurrier of UF presidents--a one in a generation kind of guy (who bailed on UF, when they both had plenty left in the tank, albeit for different reasons).

Sure he's not Fuchs--but Fuchs bailed to avoid the storm Sasse is weathering, and navigating like a champ.

Last edited: May 14, 2024
  13. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt"

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1