Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

73 points on 4 Assists

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by jeffphillips21, Nov 29, 2019.

1. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    And 14 turnovers. That’s usually a recipe for complete failure. Yet somehow we still won

Our assist to turnover ratio is about 0.8 right now. That’s horrendous. Yet we’re 6-2.

if we can get some ball movement and get easier shots, that’s when we’ll realize our potential. Until then, we’re going to have games like tonight.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Not to mention we were 4-18 from outside.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Our off ball movement flat out sucks. And I do blame coaching for that

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    We won because we played a bad team. The ball movement was absolutely pathetic, and that is about as kind as I can be. Spacing is problematic. Movement is problematic.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Majority of our possessions were either one pass or no passes before a shot. One thing that gave me encouragement was White sitting Nembhard for 10 minutes or more in the first half. Glover gives us the speed we need at the one.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I really liked when we went Ques at the 1 and Nembhard at the 2. I thought that gave us a much more fluid dribble drive offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    That actually may be a more comfortable place for AN right now. Take a little pressure off and let the game come to him.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    I agree, was asking for that earlier. It allows Ques to dictate the pace, but still find AN for a 3 or utilize his vision to find cutters and open shooters. Helps being 6'5 to see over defenders vs 5'11. But Ques certainly has that burst of speed that Lewis has, Johnson at times. Uses change of speeds so well and gets good separation from his defender on layups

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Our guards are shooting (poorly) rather than passing, so not a lot of opportunity for assists. More ball movement needed. Would like to see guards running through multiple screens to get open for shots. Mann may need to start to get enough minutes playing to work through his issues and gain confidence. Need a few cupcakes on schedule

10. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    No cupcakes until Long Beach State. Our bad numbers last night dropped us to #31 in KenPom. Also gives us a 37% chances to win at Butler.

• Informative Informative x 3
  11. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    The DDO will never produce many assists, even when we shoot better. It's not what it's designed to do. We got spolied with 19 years of BD's offense which most years produced a lot of great spacing and ball/player movement and fluidity, and thus assists.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    Glover has shown the ability to get his own shot, but I've seen little evidence of much playmaking ability from him or anyone else on the team this season besides Nembhard (who looked pretty bad for much of this game, but had a period in the 2nd half when he had some assists, and at least one other pass that set up foul shots for a player, that were instrumental in us pulling ahead) and to a lesser extent Blackshear. Nembhard's ballhandling was very shaky at times tonight. That can't continue.

13. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Did we win?

14. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    73 points on 4 assists. That is one of the craziest stats I’ve seen. I’m not sure it is even possible, and that’s with the benefit of watching most of the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    They look confused. Bassett is my MVP last evening.

16. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    On a positive note, that’s +20 for the Nembhard users of the contest.

I can’t recall a game where only one player registered an assist. Says a lot about the offense. Mike White is a good coach, but great coaches adapt when their offense isn’t working. I’m skeptical as ever over the DDO, and feel like it should be thrown out now. We still have plenty of time to develop a new offense, but that’s just me. I’m sure lots of people will disagree.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. mocgator

mocgator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    The ATL
    We are a garbage street ball team. That’s just ridiculous to have the talent and coaching we do and they play like they’ve never run a basic offense.

I was with my daughter at the game last night who plays for her high school team and she said her coach would read them the riot act if they played like that. She was calling the offense a complete joke. Just 1 on 5 street ball.

Why can’t White get through to them?

We have no offense at all.
    No movement.
    No passing.
    No switching the court.
    No pick and rolls.
    No screens.
    No assists.
    But plenty of horrendous turnovers

What do they do at practice???

Thank goodness Marshall was terrible.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Seems like White has his mind set on making Nembhard fit into running the DDO and it just isn’t gonna work. Nembhard is an excellent guard but his skillset doesn’t fit this system. I agree that White needs to adjust to an offense that suits the players he is putting on the floor at the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Go2gtr

Go2gtr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    We dribble ourselves out of options in our half court offense constantly. Is that what Coach White wants? Mark Wise, an insider, was pointing out how the dribble was being overused, plus there was very little movement off the ball, no ball screens, and he was sounding like these were failings of the players. Which is it?

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Yes. Did we play well? Well enough to win consistently in conference?

• Agree Agree x 1