Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

#7 Florida Gators @ #5 LSU TIgers 10/12/2019 8PM ESPN

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Oct 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Me too. Hoping to see Burrow ripping off his chinstrap frustrated as he walks to the sideline and our offense takes over.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agreed. We lose TOs by four and it’s unlikely we win. No run game and we struggle. Obvious pass plays and LSU comes after Trask. Hopefully it comes together.

3. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

4. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    College football rankings: How the 16 undefeated teams stack up entering a key stretch

“The Gators defense is nasty. If you don't believe me, just ask Auburn about that. But what happens if the defense has an off day? Can Florida muster up a ground game, and can junior quarterback Kyle Trask -- who took over after Feliepe Franks was injured in September -- keep up in a shootout? That'd be a tall order based on what we've seen, tough Trask did lead UF back against Kentucky.”

Fair points, I guess. Even a semi-off day by the defense Sat night would probably do UF in. Definitely don’t want to see this game turn into a shootout. The national media will drop UF like a rock if it’s a fairly sizable loss, they’re clearly skeptical of UF. This would be a really big road win though, 2 back-to-back top 7 victories in a row. No other team in the country could come close to claiming that.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    ...intriguing match-up, this one.

While Burrow has an arm and a half, we do have the defense to minimize his glory. I don't see our defense having an off day. Now LSU could have a ridiculous offensive day, but just don't see this defense stinking it up in any way. Even our missed tackles have been minimized. Our pass defense is decent-haven't really been totally tested. Our DB's are the real deal. And after watching their games highlights they have tons of open spaces to work around to get first downs and more when we're on offense. Crowd noise? Might have some false starts.

Utah State scored, I think 16, on them and Vandy 34, so as long as we get the ball in our hands we should be fine.

The media love Burrow and LSU right now. They really aren't giving us a chance. Quite frankly, that plays into our hands. Maybe they think a win is a forgone conclusion? Who knows, (I know Burrow isn't he respects us but hates us)but I really like our chances. Will we get out of position sometimes? Probably. Will he get pressured and become erratic sometimes? Probably. But I also have a sneaking suspicion that our fearless leader in Mullen will have something up his sleeve.

In watching the Auburn game one thing was really apparent to me. We have two coaches (and a gaggle of others) that are truly masterminds and innovators in their field. So far this year we have a group of kids that are playing like five star players, sans the headcase component. The synergy and cohesiveness that very few teams are fortunate enough to muster up is present as well. I don't know what the hell Mullen tells these kids before they take the field, but I sure like watching the result. One thing I know, is our kids won't quit and we have a tendency to get better as the game moves along.

Am I wearing orange and blue glasses? Of course. Standard regulation issued equipment. But we've also seen our kids and how they show up-and they're still getting better...;)

Go Gators:D

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. wearetheboys

wearetheboys Premium Member

Dec 6, 2015
    This

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gatorfred

Gatorfred All American

Oct 15, 2012
    I don’t see this being close either way. A 52-27 type game. These Gators under Mullens never quit. They play all out and leave errevything on the field.
    I could see Burrow having a career day and winning all the QB trophies in this game. But I could also see Trask being elegantly efficient and with an opportunist defense UF totally control this game.

8. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    The Advocate Sports Note Book
    Heisman watch: Joe Burrow's odds improve on eve of his biggest test yet against Florida
    Heisman watch: Joe Burrow's odds improve on eve of his biggest test yet against Florida

LSU's three national championship quarterbacks to serve as guest captains for Florida game
    LSU's three national championship quarterbacks — Warren Rabb, Matt Mauck and Matt Flynn — will serve as honorary guest captains for the No. 5 Tigers' game against No. 7 Florida on Saturday in Tiger Stadium.
    LSU's three national championship quarterbacks to serve as guest captains for Florida game

LSU's No. 1 red zone offense faces its toughest challenge against Florida
    LSU has the No. 1 red zone offense in the country. Florida has the No. 1 red zone defense. The Tigers have improved, but Florida presents their toughest challenge.
    LSU's No. 1 red zone offense faces its toughest challenge against Florida

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    This is the big one, well, at least this week it is...thanks JJH, decent reading material.

I wonder who often wins when two number 1's meet in a game; the offense or the defense? I guess we'll soon find out. They are truly making this a BIG deal at Red Stick. inviting all the QB alums. I sure hope our boys are well-prepared to be party-spoilers.

Quiet down Death Valley to a whisper...:eek:

Go Gators. :D Beat LSU!!!:mad:

• Like Like x 1
  11. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    Burrow likes to act like a bad a$$, but he's a punk and squeals like a girl when he gets hit.

Vandy scored 38 on LSU and had almost 400 yards offense. They are 1-3 and flat out horrible. The only way they racked up those numbers on LSU's all-world defense is because Orgeron told the defense to lie down and let Vandy run wild.

Since 1946, Vandy has scored more than 34 points on the Gators only twice. That puts into perspective what they did versus LSU.

No such thing as O&B glasses. We should always support and root for our boys and predict that they win. I can't be a defeatist and go the chicken little route. I've never pulled against the Gators and predicted they would lose a game. I predicted we'd beat Nebraska in 95'. I was wrong, SFW.

In case anyone forgot about last year, this kid is human. He's not some automotron QB fashioned after Tom Brady. The QB position is more mental than physical. Burrow has great physical tools, but his emotions are his weakness. Frustration will be his enemy Saturday night.

12. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I'm going with the ages-old football adage that "Defense wins Championships".

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    Yup, and defense travels.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. wterryiv

wterryiv Senior

Aug 16, 2010
    Same can be said for LSU on offense, what if they have an off day and our defense plays up to their potential?

Add to it we get Zuniga back (I believe) and our defense should be even better than the past 3 games.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. recongator

recongator All American

Nov 26, 2017
    I feel pretty good about our chances against the corn dogs but to be honest I’ll take a loss here for a victory over the leghumpers

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Texas absolutely torched them with passes over the middle. That's where Trask likes to throw. Give him some time and he can really hurt the corndogs.

• Like Like x 2
  18. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member

All we really need is for our defense to play the same way they did last week...
    Get to Beavis,..er.... Burrow early and often.......

Once he gets rattled, he's basically just another QB in the backfield...just waiting to get chomped!!!!"'

Defense wins Championships....and..we have a Championship defense!
    the ....
    Between Mullen's smart use of Trask and Emory Jones, to get the job done....getting the ball to too many receivers that the Tigers defense can handle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Carter's Corner: Getting a Read on Gators-LSU
    Scott Carter / uf Senior Writer
    Dan Mullen pulled a memorable play from his bag of tricks against LSU a season ago. What's in store Saturday night at Tiger Stadium? A look at some fresh storylines around the game
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- The play remains arguably Dan Mullen's finest call since he returned to the Gators to be their head coach.

In case anyone had forgotten what it looked like, Florida ran it again in Saturday's victory over then-No. 7 Auburn, this time with tight end Lucas Krull completing a pass to quarterback Kyle Trask for a first down in the final minutes. LSU coach Ed Orgeron didn't need a reminder, but he got one on Monday morning as he dissected film of last year's 27-19 loss to the Gators at "The Swamp."

"They ran the quarterback throw-back, we were out of position,'' Orgeron told reporters. "We just got to be in position and we got to make plays when we need to make plays."

On first-and-10 from LSU's 17 and trailing 19-14, Krull took a handoff from quarterback Feleipe Franks. As Krull dipped his shoulder and appeared to become a ballcarrier, Franks momentarily stood still. Then, Franks darted into the open and Krull rose up and looked to pass. His throw to Franks was good for 15 yards.
    On the next play, Lamical Perine scored on a 2-yard run to put the Gators ahead for good. The Krull-to-Franks pass was the perfect call at the perfect time and is now part of the Florida-LSU rivalry's lore.
    When the seventh-ranked Gators (6-0, 3-0) face the No. 5 Tigers (5-0, 1-0) on Saturday night, once the lights go off in Death Valley, there will be a new chapter to discuss. This rivalry rarely disappoints.
    Who knows, maybe we'll be talking about another trick play or two.
    Carter's Corner: Getting a Read on Gators-LSU - Florida Gators

20. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member

Here's an interesting thing to chew on....

Both teams records this season.....

Gators......6-0. (3-0)
    LSU..........5-0..(1-0)

Yeah, both teams are undefeated...but...
    It's the conference record that matters..
    We played a Kentucky team that rose to the occasion and played tough, yeah, it was also Tennessee, but we humiliated them...
    Then came #7 ranked Auburn....the team we weren't supposed to beat... nuff said.

On to the Tigers..
    They've played only one conference game....frigging Vandy!...and even THEY hung 38 points on them.

So...... which team has been battle tested?

I think that Mullen will have the Gators ready to take care of business Saturday......

Let's silence the critics!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.