Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

7.8 Earthquake hits southern Turkey, Syria and Lebanon

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tampagtr, Feb 5, 2023.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just makes me hurt to contemplate

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. sammitchell

sammitchell Recruit

Jan 27, 2023
    It's an awful tragedy. Natural disasters are something we can't control, unfortunately.
    Just saw satellite photos of the damage, and it's awful.
    I don't have any friends in that countries, but I feel extremely sorry for those who were killed or injured

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. swampspring

swampspring GC Legend

Dec 13, 2009
    It's incredibly tragic. So many innocent lives lost, families destroyed, and countless orphans. Apparently this area was taking in many refugees from other conflicts (Syrian/Iraq) so it's even more heartbreaking the struggles these people have had to endure and continue to endure. Makes you appreciate the good things we have been blessed with in life. Could go away in an instant.

I'm glad the world is showing support for Turkey and I hope that we do the same for Syria, even with Assad in charge. This will be a global undertaking due to the massive scale of the destruction.

• Like Like x 3
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    That's true to a point, but the Turkish government knew this could be a problem and allowed unregulated construction which led to a lot of preventable deaths

5. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Dr Lucy talking about the role of building codes. First, she says that the building code in Turkiye and California are identical, the engineers are trained identically and often collaborate. She points to two matters that have to be considered when you talk about the effect of building codes, one that all of them grandfather and existing buildings, so you have to consider how many grandfather buildings are not up to current code, and also how it's enforced.
    But her overall point is that for Americans thinking it could not happen here because we're more sophisticated than Turkiye, not the case

Episode 116 - What the U.S. Can Learn From Earthquakes in Turkey - Getting Through It

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 3
  7. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yep, socal, norcal, and the pnw in particular could get very ugly when a big one hits.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

"There" ;)
    Though i feel you knew this.:D

9. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Devastating loss of life. Hope they're able to rescue as many as possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    This is sad and very tragic.

This is also what Russia is doing to Ukraine but with bombs and missles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's actually much worse than that. Turkey has been collecting an "earthquake tax" since 1999 to use on making sure that buildings are built to the earthquake codes. The money went into the general treasury and was spent on all kinds of things (roads, etc.) without the Turkish people knowing. Additionally, Erdogan had a "zoning amnesty" where buildings that were not built according to code would be allowed to stand and be sold just the same as buildings that were built to code. There is going to be some hostility over this.

Questions grow over construction standards following Turkey earthquake

Over 13 million buildings were declared legal by this procedure.

• Informative Informative x 5
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    That's ugly

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

INDEED - I have been watching some European TV about the disaster.

Obviously the disaster takes precedence but calls for HOW it could have been so devastating are coming out, with the inquiry immediately focusing on corrupt (not adhering to code) construction practices, may be a principle cause.

Then a former head of European Relief efforts is stating that if buildings had been built to code, that the buildings WOULD be able to withstand a 7.8.

The counter argument is that new building codes designed to withstand stronger earthquakes was not implemented until after the 1999 quake.

Of course the counter to THAT, is that most / many of the buildings collapsing were pre 1999.

When an estimated 20,000+ die and another 80,000 are injured one would like to think a society would pay attention to building codes in one of the most earthquake prone regions of the world.

But, we all may expect after a couple of years, when things settle down, the corrupt Gov't and Contractors will resort to business as usual with payoffs to turn the eyes away from future construction contracts.

I wonder if anyone has trouble sleeping at night knowing that the load of re-bar that was not installed, that was put into ones pocket, leading to a building collapsing, killed old folks, young folks and women and children? ............NAH PROBABLY NOT.

14. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Be interesting to see if this hits Erdogan in the upcoming election. I’m guessing not.

15. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks. I did not realize any of that. I was just going by the podcast from Dr. Lucy Jones. She's obviously an expert on seismology and the impact that building codes have. She wouldn't be an expert on how those standards were actually applied there. Just tragic

16. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    For dog lovers such as myself, this is heartening

• Like Like x 3
  17. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    An interesting article about what a lot of California buildings have in common with Turkish buildings: non-ductile concrete.

A deadly building flaw common in California brings destruction and misery to Turkey, Syria

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I think California should put a plaque on the outside of buildings indicating in some way how well the building is built to resist earthquakes. Whether the building is rated on a scale of 1-10, or has detailed info on the design features with a one-word rating of "poor", "below average", up to "excellent", probably doesn't matter. The value of a poorly-constructed building would suffer (although the value of the land would not), and that would encourage the owner to either retrofit the building or tear it down and rebuild. The only difficulty with this idea is that, as new ways to construct buildings are developed, all of the buildings would have to be periodically re-evaluated to the new standards and re-labeled (maybe every 20-25 years).

19. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    One nice story from the earthquake in Turkey: a 10-day-old newborn was pulled alive from the rubble after four days, along with the mother. That's got to mess him up: "I've only been out six days, and all of a sudden I'm trapped again! This is driving me to drink!"

Newborn, toddlers survive days in rubble, bringing joy amid earthquake tragedy

20. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    She did mention that you often don’t know how well it was actually built until it fails. But point well taken. There was a podcast series a few years ago from the LA Times that talked about the fact that a lot of people would not work in many of the buildings they do if they were aware it was built pre Code upgrade, and that many more aware Angelenos do not work in pre Code revision buildings.

All I can think when I drive out there is how many multi million homes on the side of hills will come tumbling down. When you see that construction in an active seismic zone, you cringe. The quality of construction won’t matter