Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

6 Killed 8 Hurt Woman going 100+ blows stop light

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Swamplizard, Aug 5, 2022.

1. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Autonomous driving would theoretically help these people who can no longer drive themselves.
    Nobody is going to “take” cars. As someone above suggested they probably just wouldn’t allowed to be driven. I’m guessing it will be a decades long process, where they are first banned from only big cities and maybe HOV lanes, then after awhile from certain major highways entirely (rather than just HOV lanes). Eventually there will be enough on the road where more cities could follow suit, but it doesn’t seem like it’s started (although we have heard of big cities contemplating “banning cars”)

It’s kind of a catch-22. If all cars were autonomous it could be done much quicker and safer, one of the hardest things about autonomous cars is they have to deal with anticipating human error. The technology is pretty much there for pure autonomous driving if all other cars were also autonomous, it’s like we are waiting on cars with super human ai driving accident avoidance to overcome the bad driving of human drivers (the human error element). If human error were removed from the equation 100%, they’d be much easier to program. Even for the best autonomous car, there isn’t much possibility to avoid a “human error” plowing through an intersection at 100mph.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    These are interesting thoughts. I imagine the autonomous cars will have to have manual override for situations the AI does not recognize or understand. Like when you’re stuck in sand and you have to rock the car back-and-forth to get out. It’s not just an automatic setting of rocking the car, but a significant feedback loop based upon sight, hearing, and touch that controls the process.

With autonomous cars we usually focus on their ability to see their surroundings, but what about their ability to hear their surroundings? When we are driving and we hear a siren we immediately become alert and assess where it is coming from and do we need to pull over. Will autonomous cars have hearing also? Around here, at the first of every month at noon they test the tornado sirens. I wonder if AI cars will distinguish that siren from police and fire.

For that matter, in an autonomous car future, will police cars, fire engines, and ambulances also be autonomously driven? Perhaps it would be impossible to have high-speed chases, which would be a good thing, if the criminal getting away has his car say, “Sorry sir, I will not drive like that.”

If they are car causes an accident, who is to blame: the person who is inside the car or the car itself? I remember in the movie The Right Stuff, the astronauts balked at being called astronaut occupants. They wanted to be called astronaut pilots. As humans we want control over our surroundings. It might be difficult to merely sit and be an occupant. On the other hand, there are plenty of times I would like to get in my car, tell it where to go, and drift into a nap.

There were be some cultural casualties. The Daytona 500, Indy 500, 24 hours of Le Mons, and just about every other car race will become relics of history like chariot races.

There will be challenges in any kind of adoption of 100% autonomous cars. I think Americans’ love affair with cars even exceeds our love affair with guns. I’m sure they’ll be a bumper sticker or T-shirt that says, “You can take my self-driving car when you pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.”

3. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    She really gave Mayhem's career a shot in the arm, though.

4. 11708cht

11708cht VIP Member

Jun 18, 2017
    How about driving off road? Like in the woods. As I’m a rancher, I’m not ever going to drive an autonomous truck. Can’t

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Had a man killed pulling out of my office parking lot a couple years back. He pulled right in front of a dump truck.

We looked back at the cameras and noticed he started to back out of his parking spot, but pulled back in and got out of his car to check something in the trunk, then got back in. Had he just pulled out the first time and left he never meets that dump truck that day. It was very surreal seeing that.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It's a cold comfort of determinism that everything that happens is a convergence of cause and effect, and therefore could not have happened otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Think of all the permits and fees you're going to have to pay for the privilege.

8. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Doubtful if it’s on private property. And I’m sure some people perform specific tasks in their vehicles that autonomous systems will not be able to handle for a while and I’m sure exceptions will be made for those people/professions.

• Like Like x 1
  9. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I keep picturing all kinds of driving situations and imagining how an autonomous vehicle would handle them. For example, backing up a truck to load or unload something. The spotter calls out, “Come back just another foot.” How would we tell the vehicle to do that? In fact, if the spotter is standing behind a vehicle, will the safety controls of the autonomous vehicle even allow backing up one more foot?

10. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I couldn't watch it. There is a video of a realtor friend of mine turning left from the cutoff lane across 3 lanes to go into his office parking lot. Some kid driving a mercedes 90mph in a 45 hits his front quarter panel and he flips three times. He eventually succumbed to his injuries.

I drive now on I-4 to go to work and people are stupid without being drunk and angry at their boyfriend. Almost saw almost two accidents in one afternoon on the way home.

11. metalcoater

metalcoater All American

May 30, 2007
    Are these autonomous cars going to pull my camper to the campground or my boat to the boat ramp?
    I guess everyone will give that up for progress.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Likely would have sensors that could put it 1 inch away. We sort of have that tech now with the warning on your back up cam.

• Like Like x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. rock8591

rock8591 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Traffic laws are unbelievably light in this country.

Treat all citations that are 20+ mph over the speed limit as misdemeanors, 30+ over as felonies; that's the way it should be.

16. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Autonomous deliveries will likely be first. Goodbye truck driving. Businesses are definitely motivated to reduce that expense and danger while adding reliability.

17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    And a working ICU nurse. WTH

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I'd also like traffic violation fines to scale with income like Finland. The rich are never hurt by these minor fees.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    There are a lot of things the Netherlands do that made so much more sense....like teachers make more money than attorneys. Say whaaaat??

• Like Like x 2
  20. DesertGator

DesertGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Frisco, TX
    Any cop investigating the accident worth their salt should have been able to tell that immediately from the skid marks. Glad he had witnesses though too!

I'm betting that this is going to end up more like some of the major cities in Europe. Areas in the cities where cars will not be allowed outside of public transportation. The difficulty there of course is that we don't have nearly the public transportation infrastructure that Europe does.