Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) 6 Alabama Players in the Transfer Portal Update

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by scrappygator, May 24, 2022.

1. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Roe was not very good in the couple of games she played there when Adams was out. Doesn't mean she won't be good, but we'll see how it plays out. I wonder if Walsh & Decker try to learn to play 1B over the summer and fall? They are tall and both good hitters and they need to find a place to play. A lot of it depends on who leaves and who we get via the portal. I do have confidence that Coach Walton will figure it out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    I think Avery played first base very well especially toward the end of the season.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. notexgator

notexgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We saw Sam at second and it is not her position. She committed a couple of errors and had very average range. In fact after 2 games Tim moved Skylar over to 2nd and reinserted Sarah as the SS (even though she does not hit her weight in the SEC portion of the schedule) She did fine at 3rd base in place of the injured Charla in Auburn.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    Before that game that Sam struggled at 2b she had made some really good plays. Gotta remember she just turned 18 and hadn’t played there all year. That being said, I really love her behind the plate with her athleticism and energy. Just not sure on the arm yet, but again very young and without even a fall to get her feet wet.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Hitting good pitching is Avery's issue. She was solid at 1st.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Someone needs to teach Sam to throw from her knees. I'm surprised she did not when she came here. It could be an arm strength problem, but if she can't she won't be the starting catcher. If Wilke could hit, it would be her. I expect Callie to step up in the fall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Sam is not going to be the 2nd baseman. We have a highly recruited middle infielder, Lefty Pollard coming in the fall. BTW she is not a lefty.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. srqgtr

srqgtr Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    With the classes CTW is bringing in and with a few elite portal acquisitions, this team has the possibility to be very good over the next few years.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Hopefully, they don't all just go to Oklahoma. lol

10. wild4softball

wild4softball Freshman

Mar 2, 2022
    Thank you. Roe was nothing short of a disaster at 2B. Positions at this level are not simply "let's try and learn a new position." Roe's history is in 3B/Catcher. The spin, bounce and speed of a ball coming off the bat is tremendously different at 3B than it is at 2B... as Roe showed when attempting to cover for Adams. If anything, I foresee Roe spending time on 3B when Echols departs. I suspect we'll see more of Decker/Roe splitting plate time in 2023. Wilkie is not the answer between her penchant for passed balls and really awful offensive presence. I could actually foresee her hitting the portal.

Pollard, incoming 2023, plays middle infield. Expect her to take over for Adams on 2nd. Added bonus: "Lefty" has power in the box.

These posts seem to forget CTW is 'married' to certain players, i.e. Goelz, Hightower and Wilkie this season and Matthews/Roberts in the prior several seasons.

Goelz has actually proven to be a strong 1B, although she needs to put a good deal of time in the batting cages on the offseason. We need her producing more successfully in critical times -- which she was improving on at year's end.

Hightower has regressed as a pitcher. She should NEVER have been started against UCLA - if we wanted to win that is. I suspect she is still nursing that injury. Even so, she is most prone to giving up the long ball and UCLA is a long ball hitting team. Contrary to the hype, she is not an ace. Good, but not an ace. I hope whatever has been hampering her this season is resolved before the start of then next. I would love to see her go out at the top of her game next year.

If any position, Walton needs to hit that portal for quality pitchers - not another Messiemore.

Let's not forget, we should have Goddard in the outfield replacing Lindsey next year and her potential offensive contributions are very promising.

11. wild4softball

wild4softball Freshman

Mar 2, 2022
    She hits left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I suspect we won't see more of that, since Decker will be playing somewhere else

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Oklahoma doesn't need them, they just pick the best of the portal entrants and keep chugging along. First the Michigan pitcher Storako and now the Arizona infielder Torres.

Hopefully we can get Kilfoyl and Goodnight and be happy. If we could pick up that lefty pitcher Yanez from Oregon then it would be like Christmas.

Sadly, this is not the Christmas season so no presents for us this summer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Cali Decker to San Diego State

15. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    So allegedly there is an investigation going on. I don't know if it's true or not but if it is I have to say I'm not surprised.

16. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Given everything going on at Bama, either a top down everything all at once review, or almost anything they hear getting extra scrutiny would both make sense.

17. GatorsOTK

GatorsOTK Junior

Jan 19, 2012
    Investigation of what, exactly?