Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

#44 Reflects on his time at UF

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Jul 2, 2020.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Thursday, July 2, 2020
    Austin Langworthy Signs with Detroit, Reflects on Gators Career
    Austin Langworthy, Special to FloridaGators.com
    Austin Langworthy discusses his decision to sign a professional contract with the Detroit Tigers, and reflects on his four seasons with the Gators.

Facebook Button Twitter Button Email Button
    Editor's Note: This is a first-person story written by University of Florida senior outfielder Austin Langworthy. The Detroit Tigers announced Langworthy's signing Wednesday (July 1) afternoon.

Signing with the University of Florida remains the best decision I ever made in my life.

I had the chance to play college baseball at the best university in the country, with the program I grew up cheering for, right down the road from my family's home in Williston.

I joined the Gators and hoped I would play for a national championship, befriend some of the best players in the nation, make plenty of memories, spend a summer or two in the Cape Cod League, and eventually get selected in the Major League Baseball Draft, or sign a professional contract.

I checked all those boxes.

I was fortunate enough to contribute to the program's first national championship my freshman year. I spent three summers in the Cape. I played with first-round MLB Draft picks. I hit a walk-off home run I'll remember for the rest of my life. I earned a professional contract offer.

And while it was incredibly hard to decide between turning professional, or returning a fifth season with a really, really good Gators team in a new ballpark, I know once again I'm making the best decision.

It's time for me to live out my childhood dream of playing professional baseball. It's an opportunity I have to jump at.

I talked it over with my family, had a number of conversations with Sully (head coach Kevin O'Sullivan) and the coaching staff, and discussed it with some close friends back home. They were all a big help. But, at the end of the day, they all made it clear it was my decision. They would have been happy with me coming back to Florida, and they're happy for me signing a contract with the Detroit Tigers.

Would I love to come back and chase another national title with basically the same team that won the first 16 games in 2020? Absolutely. But I'll be 23 years old come September, and age works against professional baseball prospects more often than not. It's just the harsh reality of this great game. That's why it's time for me to fulfill the dream I've had in my head since Little League.

That's really the best way I can explain the decision. It's just time.
    Thankfully, for me, that walk-off home run against Auburn is timeless.

Austin Langworthy Signs with Detroit, Reflects on Gators Career - Florida Gators

• Winner Winner x 4
  2. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    A wonderful, loyal Gator who was a leader by example.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. skz868992

skz868992 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    LANG...

• Like Like x 1
  4. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    WORTHY!

• Like Like x 2