Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

300K threaten to storm Area 51

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by OklahomaGator, Jul 12, 2019.

1. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    danger Will Robinson

• Funny Funny x 4
  2. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I saw 51 and thought the thread was about me.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Rocinante

Rocinante Junior

May 28, 2013
    Agree, wasn’t really considering that part. But religious folks have illegally invaded the space of many, uninvited, across the world to set them right (ie. The despicable acts by Spain on the Incas) So actually these folks are a bit less intrusive.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Premium Member

I once invaded a military base on Grand Theft Auto when I was younger. I know how their story ends, but they don't get to respawn...

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    The government never took out Bob Lazar, whose story is totally legit, so I guess these guys probably have little to worry about. :ninja2:

6. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Fat loser hipster millennial doofuses charging the gate of a military installation running 'Naruto style'? Yeah, that sounds like a good idea....
    upload_2019-7-13_8-9-26.png

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    There isn't a gate to speak of (technically there is one at the back entrance, but no barrier to walk around it). This is the main entrance.

[​IMG]

It's watched by 2 dudes in a pickup truck. They are called "cammo dudes".

[​IMG]

They don't have a sense of humor

[​IMG]

8. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Shoot the first few that cross the line in the head and make sure its bloody. The rest will run..... in the other direction.

9. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    These old ladies saw the aliens...

10. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    This family, not so much.

11. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Since the Area covers about 150 square miles, these folks would have to run "Naruto style" for several miles over hilly terrain before they even see any of the installations. If they choose to go off-road, well...much of the Area is bombing and gunnery range, and we all know what can happen with unexploded ordnance; sometimes it changes its mind and becomes exploded ordnance without warning.

12. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    The area around Area 51 isn't part of the bombing range. It's restricted airspace to the other pilots flying out of Nellis. I'm sure they have contingency plans for this kind of thing and probably have some deployable heavy weapons and could employ air support if necessary. The signs at the entrance used to say "use of deadly force authorized", but they took that off at some point. I don't think they would have qualms about shooting at a large group of people that got too far in though.

13. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    The picture you posted showing restricted area warning signs around Area 51 included "Nellis Bombing and Gunnery Range". I wondered about Nellis (my son does frequent TDY at Nellis) and Area 51 and looked it up. Per Wiki: "Groom Lake is a salt flat[17] in Nevada used for runways of the Nellis Bombing Range Test Site airport (KXTA) on the north of the Area 51 USAF military installation."
    With your posted pic and wiki, I was convinced that part of the Area is or has been gunnery / bombing range since testing is one of the functions.

14. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Why does anyone need to storm Area 51 to see aliens when we've got one in the White House?

He was dumped here on Earth by a UFO because their planet couldn't stand him anymore.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    The lake itself is an alternate runway. Not sure if it's still used, but back in the 50s and 60s you sometimes had test aircraft that were pretty unstable and the lake afforded enough space where they could just land anywhere without having to have the precision control to get it on a runway. I'm sure they have some spot where they can test the weapons on the aircraft at Area 51, especially programs like the F117 and B2 programs. A lot of the stuff they apparently test though is unarmed, like the U2, SR71, HAV Blue test platform, etc. The thing is that it's not the general bombing and gunnery range for Nellis, which is in a different area. The area is highly secret so they wouldn't want average air force pilots flying in that airspace and possibly seeing something they weren't supposed to. You need very high security clearances to be on the base and above it, so the typical operational training is done elsewhere. The overall area occupied by Nellis and related facilities is massive so there is plenty of space to train away from Area 51.

Nellis AFB Bombing Range - Nevada

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    From looking at the map, it seems you would have to get on the base/range first before you can even think about getting into area 51.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Nevertheless, anybody contemplating running to 'Area 51' (if they choose 'off-road' routes as I said) would have to traverse ground known as "Nellis Air Force Range", or "Nevada Test Site" fka Nevada Proving Grounds.
    Area 51 Location - The Real Story Behind the Myth of Area 51
    "In November 1954, President Eisenhower approved the secret development of a high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft called the U-2 program. One of the first orders of business was to track down a remote, covert location for training and testing. They found it in the southern Nevada desert near a salt flat known as Groom Lake, which had once been a World War II aerial gunnery range for Army Air Corps pilots. Known by its map designation as Area 51, this middle-of-nowhere site became a new top-secret military base."

18. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Yeah, they wouldn't be running. It's about 20 miles from the edge of the restricted area to the base itself through rough terrain in the desert. Mostly likely they would never make it across the line since if this FB thing got traction, the air force would know about it too and would have all kinds of troops and police outside the base to meet these people. There's no way they would get 300K, but even if they got a few thousand that would be management from a security standpoint. As far as Groom Lake itself being a gunnery range in WW2, makes sense but there isn't likely to be a bunch of unexploded ordinance on it. If you look at the base, there are a couple marked runways on the lake bed so they would have cleared the area of anything dangerous if it was used for landing aircraft. And if it was just gunnery vs. a bombing range, the leftover ordinance would just be expended bullets. If it was used as a bombing range, the area would have been cratered and not useful for landing aircraft.

Not sure why they need to go to all the trouble to break in when Bob Lazar has already told us what's in there. :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    At a large AFB in N. Central California where my son has been stationed in the past (and likely to be stationed there again) there's a large restricted area which was gunnery range during WW2. It's well marked. There happens to be cattle grazing on this old range, and occasionally something goes "boom!" and bovine parts get scattered here and there.
    This area was mainly tank gunnery training during WW2, not limited to small arms.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  20. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I would guess that was a bombing range as well then. Spent shell casings and bullets don't go boom. Aerial gunnery in WW2 consisted of aircraft towing targets while other aircraft shot bullets at them. If Groom Lake was full of unexploded ordnance, they would not have been able to use it as a test site. They apparently did spend significant effort to clean up the lake of spent shell casings and whatever was left over from the training days. Metal objects all over the place on the lakebed could have damaged the aircraft or been ingested into the engines.

Area 51 story and timeline

Groom Lake Pre-1955, page 1

• Like Like x 1