Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

3 Takeaways from Bama Game

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by mogator1, Jan 5, 2020.

1. mogator1

mogator1 Premium Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Team showed a lot of heart and competitive fire in the comeback last night in a MUST win game!! But for us to achieve our goals for the year (which are all still before us), I believe CMW must have 3 clear takeaways from Bama:
    1) Not sure what happened at halftime but I imagine MW gave a tongue lashing. The difference in passion and effort by the Team in the second half was stark. Whatever was said/done needs to happen at the START of games going forward. I think teams play with the personality of their coach and I loved seeing CMW technical in the second half. This team has sleep walked through games this year (including first half last night) and the fire and passion in the second half needs to be there for the rest of the year from coach on down to the players.
    2) Scottie HAS TO BE ON THE FLOOR!!! To me, he was the catalyst for the turnaround with his energy in the second half. I know he struggles some on the offensive end but he is a leader that gives us an element this team is missing without him. I love OP playing in tandem with KB and KJ has probably been our best player over the course of the whole season to date, so I am not sure who starts or the rotations. BUT Scottie needs to be on the floor A LOT of the time.
    3) Tempo has to be increased. I know, I know - this is old news that I, and most others, have harped on all year. I have advocated for man-to-man full court pressing on defense and fast breaks on offense (and still do) but we saw none of that in the second half. But because we were so far behind and the pace that Bama plays at, we saw a focused aggressive offense in the second half. No stall ball, not a lot of aimless perimeter dribbling but a team that WANTED to score and showed an urgency to do so.
    Let's just play at second half pace offensively, at a minimum, CMW!!

• Like Like x 4
  2. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    Nembhard was much more aggressive offensively, too. He played like he thought he was the best player on our team, as opposed to a facilitator of other players who he thinks are better than him... if that makes sense. I've been critical of Nembhard in the past, but I liked what I saw yesterday. I hope he continues this. It will definitely help his NBA prospects as well. I feel like Tre Mann needs to get assigned his own strength and conditioning coach and come back next year with 10-15 lbs more muscle next year. His lack of strength is holding him back.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I can't disagree with any of that.
    I would add that Andrew needs to be aggressive in the offense like he was in the 2nd half.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t like Nembhard hogging the ball. If he can take a smaller guard to the hoop and score, then do it and do it quickly. Otherwise, he should keep the ball moving so the other players are in the flow of the game. What Nembhard did last night likely will not work against most of the teams in the league.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    One comment on Tre Mann....
    I believe having him as PG is affecting his game. He is much better and experienced as a wing player in the 2 or 3 spot. Yes his future is playing the PG but with our group of players he would be much better backing up Locke and occasionally the 3. The roles on this team are still unknown but for Mann he would be more effective in scoring and passing from the wing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Nembhard is a facilitator first, PG. Second he takes what the other team gives him. I know a lot of people bash him on here for being slow. I bet Alabama’s coach thought, “we can’t stop Nemhard’s penetration.” He killed us!

His second half aggression along with Scottie’s, gave fire to all the team. We are lucky to have such a talented player in Andrew. At last year’s SEC tournament he and KJ carried us to the semi finals. All coaches in the SEC know who he is and wish they had someone like him in a steady leader.
    If this team could be as steady as Andrew, game after game, we could go a long way. The freshmen are having to grow up quick. We saw some good growth last night. When the freshmen excel, Andrew lifts up his and led us to victory. Enjoy the ride!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    Was he really hogging, though?

8. melrose12

melrose12 Senior

Jun 25, 2019
    I hope he keeps hogging the ball.. we are better when he plays like he didagainst bama

9. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    A few comments of my own.

1. CMW said during his post-game interview with Karl Ravitch and Jimmy Dykes that they just watched film during halftime. They was asked if he was fired up and he said they just watched film of what they were doing wrong. Guys just got a couple stops and actually hit some threes to really chop the lead down just before and after halftime. i don't think he was screaming and yelling to fire the guys up like one might have hoped.

2. I thought Bassett played pretty well in the 1st half and then I don't remember seeing him again. I really like Payne, though, and thought he gave us some good minutes.

3. AN was able to get to the rim late in the second half and in overtime because Alabama's bigs were in foul trouble and/or fouled out. If not for that, I don't think we win that game.

4. As active a defender Scottie is, I feel he is too aggressive with his on-the-ball defense and guys blow by him and then he ends up chasing. Sometimes he recovers to get a rebound or a block from behind. That is something for which he will have to find the right balance in time. Also, I am surprised he isn't able to get by his defender more easily. Guys are able to stay in front of him and then he settles for a weird up and under move or a pull up jumper. With his athleticism and decent handle, I would expect him to get more dunks and layups on drives, but they mostly seems to come from put-backs off rebounds.

5. Tre Mann isn't quite ready for prime time. Fortunately, we have AN and NL, so he is only needed in relief. I agree he needs confidence. It just isn't clicking for him yet.

6. I thought the early foul trouble really took KJ out of his normally aggressive mindset. He is one of our best rim runners and needs to stay out of foul trouble so he can play more aggressively on the offensive end.

7. KB was a monster with rebounds and put backs. Jimmy Dykes was correct in his assessment of what great hands he has. We can all appreciate that after years of watching the opposite from our bigs.

Finally, I don't feel as though White "figured it out" this game. I just think our talent eventually won out. Not giving him credit or blame for the performance, just waiting with an open mind to see what happens the next couple of games to see if we develop some sort of consistency or identity, or if we will continue to be a "work in progress" the rest of the year. Go Gators!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

May
    maybe they need to play like they are down 15 from the opening tip.

12. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Really good points here SBJ especially number 3, 4, 5, 7 and the final part about CMW.

13. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    I strongly agree with you on 4 and 5. I've said similar things here as well.

Scottie makes one move, doesn't shake the defender from it, then passes or pulls up. He needs to get a better repertoire of one-on-one moves. His points are either coming from those pull ups (not a great FG%) and put backs off offensive rebounds. There's very little in between. I was never as physically gifted as Scottie, but even as a high school player, I was far more advanced offensively than him. That is a bad thing, because I am largely a failed basketball player. He needs FAR better handles to even sniff at the NBA. I was expecting to see both him and Mann crossing over their defenders with a dazzling array of highlight worthy handles and dunks over centers. That is not even close to what has happened. Instead we have two top rated high-flying recruits who cannot get to the rim.

As far as Scottie's on-ball defense, I somewhat disagree with you there. In today's game you have to ball hawk these guys because if you give them any slack they can shoot the three in your face. I can live with him getting beat sometimes and recovering, because he recovers very well. He gets tough defensive assignments because of his superior ability, so I understand if he gets beat off the dribble once in awhile. The guys he's defending are good, too.

14. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Your last point is well taken. On one particular play late in the game, Lewis (from Bama) blew by Scottie but Omar was waiting for him and swatted away the lay up attempt. With Omar's shot blocking ability, it is not a bad idea to run guys off the 3 point line and into the lane but then there better be help defense rotating when the penetrating guard gets Omar up in the air and dishes it to someone else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. jcmiller910

jcmiller910 Premium Member

Sep 18, 2019
    I think AN needs to be more assertive and aggressive in trying to score and attack the paint. We are a better offense when he is. For example look at Glover, very aggressive and attacks the basket. We need Nembhard to be a fire starter not just a passer and occasionally take some 3s. Overall super proud of how the guys pulled that one out!! Go Gators

16. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    He was, but it was a pretty good hogging, except for the Asst/TO ratio of 4/4. On the other end, Nembhard was our top scorer and hit 8/9 FTs, which was huge.
    Despite all that, it was not Andrew's best game. Our team, imo, will go as he goes the rest of the season.

17. MCB51

MCB51 All American

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    I enjoyed reading constructive criticism/suggestions here ...instead of how bad the coaching is, firing of coaches, etc.-all of you made excellent points-thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  18. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    One thing he said which i did not know we did at halftime, was watch a lot of film. I had no idea we watch film at halftime. The players also said that White told them exactly what they needed to do to win the game in the 2nd half, all they needed to do was to make it happen.

One thing for certain is that there are a LOT of things that go on behind the scenes that we don’t know about. I’m sure White knows a hell of a lot more than most (me included) give him credit for. Maybe he just doesn’t like to tell his strategy and style to everyone, which would make sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    When Andrew attacks the lane, he then opens up the possibilities of taking advantage of his greatest skill, passing. In the 2nd half against Bama, he played like he did the last third of last season. Which is what we need.

As a side note, I sure wish he would learn how to shoot a layup with either hand.

20. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    You still feel the same after tonight? I get why you thought what you thought after the bama game, but now that we've seen him in back to back games be the star of the team, do you not think that we look better with him being this assertive?