Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

3 From Robbie & Pat (Gvl Sun) + Miami Herald Items

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Aug 24, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Standard-bearers: Florida, Miami embrace spotlight as they start season
    Gvl Sun By Robbie Andreu August 24, 2019
    ORLANDO — The date they have been talking about, pointing toward and preparing for since the start of offseason conditioning in early January is finally here for the Florida Gators.
    Aug. 24, 2019.
    For historical purposes, let’s call it GS-Day.
    GS — as in Gator Standard.

Ever since his return to the school where he helped the Gators win two national championships as the offensive coordinator under Urban Meyer, Florida coach Dan Mullen has been persistently talking about, preaching about, the Gator Standard — a level of overall excellence he says everyone in the program should be striving to achieve.

If you’ve listened to Mullen this week, it’s time for the Gators to put that standard to the test — and put it on display. This is an opportunity like no other. The college football world — maybe the entire football world — will be watching when Florida and Miami renew their rivalry in a game that stands alone to kick off the 150th year of college football.

Florida’s motivation today? Playing up to the Gator Standard with everyone watching.
    “Not just the fans, but all the other teams are watching us,” Mullen said. “What are they going to see? What’s our stamp? When every college person in the country turns on their TV, what’s their thought when they see the Florida Gators? We have to go out there and live up to that on the field. Everybody is watching? What do you want them to think about you?

Standard-bearers: Florida, Miami embrace spotlight as they start season - GatorSports.com

2. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Andreu’s Analysis: Hurricanes in the forecast
    By Gvl Sun Robbie Andreu
    Florida may have had a 10-win season in 2018, but I did not. What I had is a seven-loss season, going 6-7 in my predictions for Gator games. That having been said, my credibility as a prognosticator (if I ever even had any in the first place) is clearly on the line in 2019.

And I’m opening with what many are considering a tough game to pick. But I’m viewing this UF-Miami showdown in simple terms. If the Gators’ young and inexperienced offensive line holds up against an excellent Miami defensive front, Florida is going to win, pulling away in the second half. If the line gets overwhelmed, which certainly could happen, the Gators are going to open the season with a devastating loss.

For the last two weeks, Florida players — both offensive and defensive — have been telling us, the media, that the line has made great progress under John Hevesy and will do just fine, giving the playmakers a chance to make plays and score points. That’s talk. Now comes reality in the form of Miami’s defensive front seven.

Two things to consider here: Hevesy is a really good offensive line coach; and Dan Mullen has shown he can coach around a struggling, sometimes overmatched, offensive line, like he did at Mississippi State last season.
    Andreu's Analysis: Hurricanes in the forecast - GatorSports.com

3. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    The Picks: Yeah, there are annoying things about college football
    By Gvl Sun Pat Dooley
    It’s not really fair.
    I looked forward to doing The Picks columns all summer and then the first time I get to write one there are only two games and one of them wouldn’t make The Picks in any month with an “R” in it.
    So this week we’re going to add three Thursday games from next week to flesh it out because normally I don’t pick the Thursday games because the column runs on Fridays and have you fallen asleep yet?

Before we get to the first Picks of the season, a little entertainment. At my many speaking stops, I have delivered a list of the 10 most annoying things about college football.

I tried it out in Destin, Gainesville, Eustis and a variety of other places, honing each reveal the way Jerry Seinfeld tries his acts out at clubs before a Netflix special.
    Finally, it is ready for print. (Seriously, don’t get your hopes up because it’s not THAT good).

The Picks: Yeah, there are annoying things about college football - GatorSports.com

4. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016

5. igabradley

igabradley GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Chattahoochee
    I'm not subscribing to the Sun, who do they pick?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tigator2019

tigator2019 All American

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Andreu you enormous douchebag. You picked UF to lose 7 last year.
    Retire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Both him and Drooley are idiots.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. phillyblount

phillyblount GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    The burg
    Gainesville Sun has gone to the dark side: "SUBSCRIBE" - Ugh-

9. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    They think their writing and team coverage is worthy of paying for? Damn that Sun crew just gets dumber and more out of touch each passing year.

10. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    That tool had us losing to FSU by 10. I swear, it’s like he fell asleep all fall season and woke up an hour before the game.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Dooley picked UF to win 24 - 10, Andreu picked UF to win 35 - 21.

Apparently, Dooley doesn't think our offense is any good and Andreu thinks Miami's offense full of raw freshmen running a new playbook for the first time is.

My pick? A lot of Miami folks are going to be surprised when they find out they were hyping this year's canes team like they were one of those dominant, talent-rich cane teams from 20 years ago and UF exposes them by hammering them. I'm not even sure Miami will win 6 games this year to be honest with you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2