Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2nd Presidential Debate Moderator Scully tweeting Scaramucci

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by LouisvilleGator, Oct 9, 2020.

1. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Oh yeah ... I think the majority of Americans would very, very happy with Trump being muted at the debate if he can't follow the rules he agreed to. I still think most of America has a sense of fairness. Some are lacking there, though, obviously.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    That's why he refuses to debate? LOL?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    An obvious lie

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    Still waiting to see where Trump refused to have a normal debate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I sincerely hope that he accepts your suggestion.

7. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Never watching C-Span again.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Someone must have hacked Breaking911’s Twitter account.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    The only way Trump could be involved in a “normal debate” is if there is a mute button on his microphone. Trump doesn’t want a debate, he wants to filibuster a MAGA rally and yell over the top of everyone else.

11. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Oops, that pesky goalpost seems to have slid around on you again. I'll fix it.

"Still waiting to see where Trump refused to have the next scheduled a normal debate."

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    Lol. You can’t change the rules and format then act like the person who wants everything how all the other debates have been, is the problem. Quit your BS

13. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Yeah, nothing to see here. Corrupt Debate commission is just another Trump conspiracy theory.

NBC literally had a woman yelling back and forth with Trump for 60 minutes last night. No masks. No glass wall between them. 20 feet apart, sure, but I think Trump would have been at least 20 feet from Biden and the moderator. If NBC can pull it off with a few hours to plan ahead, the Debate Commission could have figured it out. They did not want to and their moderator is obviously a scumbag. I, along with most of us, would be FIRED for lying like that to our bosses. That may ultimately be Scully's fate. We'll have to see.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    To be fair, Trump is surely the first manchild level participant in any Presidential debate who actually necessitated a mute button to maintain order.

There have been bad debates in the past, but nothing like that mess. Having a mic mute really isn’t changing the rules, it actually helps enforce the existing rules on time and structure of the debate. Though it also probably makes the debate more boring to those who expect to see a WWE match or episode of Jerry Springer bust out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    That assumes the debate moderator will use the mute impartially. Most debates have moments of interruption by the other candidate. Obviously, we couldn't expect Scully to be impartial based on what we know.

But even before we get to that, as it's already been pointed out, the terms of the debate had already been agreed upon by the candidates. Unilaterally making any rule changes without consulting both campaigns is underhanded, regardless of how good the intentions may be. Once that happened, President Trump rightly withdrew. You'd have to be a fool not to. And then we see Scully's true colors revealed after the fact.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    Yep. Exactly my point.

17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Actually, if the mic mute happens by default when the other person is talking it would make it far easier to be neutral. 2 minutes to talk then your mic goes off. That actually removes bias on the part of the moderator, literally all he (or she) would have to do is make sure time is given equally.

Trump wants the debates to be a chaotic mess, so of course he’s not going to agree to something that constrains both parties to the debate rules. If the debate is dry and based purely on discussion of issues without interruption - Trump has zero chance on substance (though in a weird way I think it would have still been politically good for him to show people he can “behave” himself, that ship really sailed years ago). The real issue is the guy basically thinks rules don’t apply to him. The mic mute is the only recourse the debate commission has against such a person.