Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2024 QB DJ Lagway

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by royalewitcheesee, Sep 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So we have NO history with QBs, recently? That sounds like a very narrow talking point that other schools might want to use against us. Define recent. Is that 5 years... 10 years... and why is this brand new coaching staff the reason for that? Even the last guy got our starting QB drafted in the second round. So, there's that...

Talking points aside, we will get the most out of a QB that does NOT have 10 to 20 people trying to tell him how to interpret what our HBC is trying to instill in him. We just might have 1... 2.. or 3 NFL QBs on our team right now. We don't know because our coaches are not even through their first full year of their first season.

Right now Lagway has the Gator even with Clemson... Let's see how the rest of this year, and all of next year, pans out for Napier and his staff before we start resorting to other team's talking points about how well or not they are at developing the Gators QBs.

Napier deserves far more time than he's been given on this point.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    When you have to pay as much Cash as you do for a five star quarterback right now, I doubt people buy two or three to time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Agree. I was just being a smartass. This kind of jives with our discussion about NIL and how we missed out by not having a staff like we have now before all of this craziness. We have a recruiting staff finally but "legal" bags has nullified recruiting somewhat

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. G8torsRUL

G8torsRUL GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Pensacola
    Kyle Trask was a 3 star and ended up a 1st rounder. That has to be from development, no?
    Most would say he was just lucky to have Pitts, which could be true, but to each their own.

5. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    2nd rounder

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Fair enough but the central point remains that if DJ is the answer, we have at least two more seasons to wait. It will be great if one from the current roster emerges, but the staff has to play the guy in games to find out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Nope, Kyle was the real deal, no doubt. He worked hard and is a winner. No doubt about that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Kyle was sort of an anomaly though because of how limited he played in high school. He sat behind a high end dual threat qb that was tailored for that offense. Really doubt he would not have been a 4 star pro style qb if he was at a different program in high school.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I think you have always had to have both. Good thing is now the school won’t impede the cash flow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Simple. Pay AR to play next year. Pay DJ for 24 if he is really worth it.

Keeping an eye on the portal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Using georgia as an example, how can a school bet on a high four star/five star QB when they've had so many transfer out? Oddly, a smallish walkon(?) is their national championship QB. Very strange. I guess a school can pile blue chips w NIL deals at a position as long as the agreements are performance based and not enforceable if the player is passed on depth chart, injured, or ineligible.

12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    DJ will be getting paid in a few months

13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    When they don’t start their money dries up and they go elsewhere

14. G8torsRUL

Apr 14, 2007
    Pensacola
    Ahh I thought they grabbed him at the end of rd 1, but guessing that was end of rd2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    shoot not bad either way lol

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Trask was an extremely polished high school QB. If he’d transferred away that school to be the starter somewhere else, he’d have had a high four star rating.

A bit tired of people using Trask as an example of underrated/overlooked talent. Nobody is going to give more than three stars to a backup.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. GatorGhost

GatorGhost GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I wouldn't just pay him now, I'd also tell him to take as many classes as necessary to reclassify to this class and find him the smartest tutor to help him out.

I get tired of the goody two shoes mentality all the time that none of our peers respect.

18. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    It's not easy knowing who will be solid. I hope our staff can learn what a kid is made of and have a good idea who will succeed. There are some staffs who do pretty well at it.

I wasn't suggesting to wait.

19. G8torsRUL

Apr 14, 2007
    Pensacola

I never said he was underrated or overlooked. If he didn’t earn many scollys from top tier teams, one has to believe he was overlooked by most. He was rated a 3 star, and if I said 4 star you or someone else would have come back and said “He was a 3 star, not 4 star”. My statement still holds true, regardless of his circumstance and how you think he should have been graded. We could argue service grades all day, as we both know we think guys should be graded higher or lower at times. The point was that he was still a UF QB who developed, and got drafted.

If tired, I can only suggest some coffee when you read about Trask and his star rating. ;)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  20. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    So in a way, after the dust settles, only about 48 per team(a two deep) are getting significant NIL money?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.