Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2024 OL “Big” Mike Williams aka BMW commits to UF

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Jun 12, 2023.

1. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I give this comment zero stars.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    6'-6" 305 or so. Get him on a UF nutrition and weight program, will be yuge in another year. Mr. Williams will be part of a championship Gator line in the near future. Welcome aboard!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. flnative75

flnative75 All American

Oct 17, 2011
    Tampa
    I know right ? I mean cmon Ocyrus Torrence was a 5 star…. Oh wait…..sit down.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I think Mike was talking about playing in a pro style balanced offense where he learns to both run block and pass block increasing chances of sticking with a NFL club. TN with a pass heavy offense that runs a lot of quick plays is not an offense you see in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You’re an idiot

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
  7. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Well, they had 4 5 star tackles from that era to make into a top 10 pick, so they were due one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    With his measureables is he a guy that can blow up his senior year and shoot up the rankings? Or he is pegged as a 3 star regardless? Only curious.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Also; what’s his offer sheet look like? I like to look at that often.

10. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Jamyr Gibbs was a 3 star at best if I remember correctly while everyone was drooling over demarkus Bowman. GA tech signed him as other schools became interested late in the game including us. Ended up transferring to Bama as we all know and getting drafted.

Stars do matter but it's because the likelihood they will succeed at the next level is better but it's far from an exact science. People who bash a kid based on his star rating need to grow up. It's not the same situation today where in the past the recruiting effort and success was sub par and 3 stars were the norm and often reaches. Some high end talent has been pulled by this staff and some lower rated guys have performed great already. Good lord some fans are sorry people.

I'm no pumper either. I'm as salty as it gets about how certain schools have been buying talent for years but again, wanna bash a recruit choosing to play for Florida that was offered by our coach then go cheer for Georgia or Bama.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Almost never happens with OL to shoot up, and there are so very few can't misses out there. The rankings are skewed against them also. For a position of wr you usually recruit 2 per year there are 25 in the top 150, but for the position you recruit 4 or 5 per class in OL there are 18 in the top 150. This just means you are taking 3 stars every year. Bama and Georgia do it too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Skink bringing the love...

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Did you read the post from RH that I was responding to? Only an idiot would trash a kid that just committed to UF. SMH

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I trust the top 300 ratings much more than the 3 * evaluations because I don’t think many of those guys are actually scouted, they’re just a name on a piece of paper. There is no way they people ranking them actually watched them played and probably not even watched a highlight film. When a 3* commits to a decent program, they all probably scramble to watch film as they actully have no idea who the kid is. A staff finds the guy and then the ranking services scramble .

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Gibbs was a 4* but point taken.

I like star watching as much as the next dude but like you said, it's not an exact science and it's not the end all be all. Yes we know the more higher rated guys you accumulate, your chances of success sky rocket but people act as if, if you get some 3*'s here and there, it's the end of the world. That's not the case and it's not the case with UF either.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  16. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    He may have ended a 4* but he was off the radar until late in his recruiting. Some were skeptical of the push for him because they were fixated on Bowman and a couple others who haven't faired as well I'm hindsight despite being ranked higher. Don't remember if there was a question about Gibbs competition in highschool or not but he was not looked at in the same regard as his many of his peers. I'm no guru but I loved his game from the beginning and really wanted him over bowman.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    no uga, bammer, ohio state, but both USC's, slUT, Mich. State are tops, and a buch of lesser programs

18. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Yea I remember you, and i'm not lying about that, being one of the few on here who preferred Gibbs over Bowman. His recruitment started gaining momentum the beginning of his senior season but since his parents wanted him at GT, he wasn't really entertaining any other school like that. I remember stumbling upon him a bit before his senior season and wanted us to go after him badly cause the skillset was evident when you watch the film

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. revgator

revgator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Skink bringing the truth.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Skink I wasn't disagreeing whatsoever...just pointing out the overly tolerant opinions that you are well known for around here.

• Funny Funny x 1