Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2023 recruiting class predicted our on field struggles

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Sep 27, 2022.

1. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    lol i always felt him and Kimbrough where too small to be starting unless they were Janoris Jenkins types which obviously they aren’t lol

2. GatorGhost

GatorGhost GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep, that's the impression, though I haven't seen the Tenn film yet, but I just saw 12 took his starting job. As noted above, there have been several plays where he ends up out of position, and some where he's close to making a play but just can't. A few bc he goes "hero mode" and a few bc he loses containment by lack of awareness and ability.

Part of it is probably frustration from others not making plays, especially LBs and S, part bc he sees Cox doing it, and part from just wanting personal stats over the gamble of giving up plays for your team. Changes should be a wake-up call for all and lets hope starters are better while backups work harder to provide quality depth/competition.

Cox was perfect the 2nd game but has since been reverting to hero mode sometimes out of frustration.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Right. I think 1 isn't being selfish all the time when he goes hero mode, but feels like if he doesn't get there, no one else will and he'll get there by any means necessary. I may be reaching, but I think 0 being out with any "injury" this weekend is...hmmmmm. I wish that 88 got some play at WR too. I think his size and deep speed would compliment 15 well. I see 15 go deep to 4 often and everytime I hold my breath

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Thought same of 0, plausible deniability. 88 is like under double secret probation. If he won't be used, why not line up Moore on the other side of the ball for 10 snaps a game if giving Helms and Hill a lot of snaps. The guy seems to pick up everything quick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    if it were me, 3 and 28 would be my starters at corner with 8 backing up 3 and 23 or 11 backing up 28. 24 has started two years and can you think of a time he’s popped on your screen in a good way?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    Make up speed means nothing if your not in the right zip code, 24. Break ups or interceptions or at least qb sacks or hurries? Nothing. And 23 may be or was good at coverage, but grabbing a shoe string has been his idea of a tackle. 11 needs some pt at cb or nickle. I like 3 and 28, then 8 and 11 as back ups.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Yea, I don't have high hopes for 23 to come in and jump start the other spot opposite 3. I don't know how the DB room coaches see it, but I wish I knew why they don't ever experiment with 3 and 28 on the field at the same time. Put 3 at the boundary corner and 28 as the field corner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Just a feeling but seems like they let water seek its own level, on one hand, but were recruiting 24/7, on the other.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    I have thought the same thing. I wondered if they were slow in installing the system over the spring, and felt like more fundamentals were needed in spring (very true, and I think some are better tacklers this year than last), so they didn't know how bad the veterans could be in their assignments. This staff does seem like it wants to develop players and get the best out of them, but I think the honeymoon is over, and some veterans are going to be considered lost causes, and the coaches will move on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep, and I know that Grantham was a mistake when he said we'd play 3-4 base defenses... I know it was a huge mistake from the start. Although he later tried to backtrack by saying that we'd play both 4-3 and the 3-4 base defensive front D-lines.

• Winner Winner x 1