Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2023 College World Series Schedule/Scores/Discussion

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by WESGATORS, Jun 11, 2023.

1. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim GC Hall of Fame

Mar 15, 2009
    And, I’ll bet
    And, I’ll bet your teams bunted better than anyone…..

2. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I highly suspected UF vs. LSU once the CWS field was set. I like our position for two reasons. The first is we have our top pitching set up for what amounts to an accustomed weekend series, advantage UF. Second, our top hitters are overdue to break out and join the rest of the lineup that has been largely carrying UF in Omaha, advantage UF. I'm thinking a 2017 repeat performance in the final series.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I would say my HS team was average however the American Legion Post 30 team, Chipola, and FSU were proficient at the bunting game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2016
    Looking at the weather, heavy tstorms tonight and tomorrow but clearing up before gametime, then good the rest of the way. It’s going to be interesting with the wind. There may be a lot of long balls.
    Sat W 13 - out to left
    Sun NW 22. - out to center
    Mon N 12 - out to right

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    I get to nearly all Gators fall and preseason practices, but timed mainly for the scrimmages. I usually see BP and Gators always practice bunting, but seldom enough bunts to count as serious practice. I only see opponent BP before games and their approaches vary from no bunts to a separate area for bunting practice behind the cage, sometimes with a pitcher, sometimes with a machine. Even then, I don't remember any serious effort. Given those observations, I agree that bunting practice doesn't seem important to Gators or opponents. I gather it's less important these days to teams at any level than it is to old guys who remember the good old days. That, of course, provides fodder for online complaints.

One of my favorite Gator players was Dave Majeski who seemed to always check out the position of the opposing third baseman. if he was back on the dirt, Majeski would lay down a beauty and take the free single opportunity. He fell short of perfection, but it was fun to watch the process. He also was a good base stealer and I saw Robertson as the latest Gator who had the potential to use that approach to make a difference. he has time and the tools to develop those skills, which would make him a great fit at leadoff or #9 in the batting order. Until that happens, I'll accept that The Game of Baseball doesn't care much for my opinions.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree with a lot of what you said but Wake did pretty much all you could do on that play and you have to tip your cap to the LSU D! Skenes was in the stretch. The runner was in front of the 3rd baseman and got a great jump off the bat or it would not have even been close at the plate. Also not exactly sure what your problem was with the slide? Catcher was in a perfect position to get him even if he slid past the plate. The pitch was up and on the outer part of the plate. The batter had perfect technique and the first bounce was actually in the left hand batters box. If there was a little more water in the clay the ball is deadened and Morgan does not catch it in the air. Skenes was in position to potentially make the play between the mound and first. If me I try to push it at the shortstop but not easy with the location of the pitch…..plus it’s coming at 100 mph. IMO it was a great baseball play on both sides.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Sounds like you saw much of what I saw with Robertson at scrimmages. He seemed like the one guy that was dependable getting a bunt down. I guess scrimmage pitching isn't the same as live action pitching for some. I get most on here think I'm crazy for saying Robertson was a capable bunter after what he showed this season. Robertson also stole bases regularly but I think that's because they didn't pitch out much at practices. I'm still holding out hope he gets it figured out this next offseason because as you say has the potential to be a difference maker as a leadoff.

From my research it doesn't look like our two infield transfers have any chance to become leadoffs and Kurland doesn't seem to be a threat on the bases as a leadoff. So I'm still wondering if we can find that right guy to leadoff next year.

8. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    I have a lot of hope for Mikey at leadoff next year. For most of the season, Kurland's value was getting on base ahead of Wyatt and Jac. If someone can approach Wyatt's productivity next year, that approach may still be best. Since Mikey didn't play last year, he'll be older than other sophs and I hope will be ready to surge. I do like the concept of a fast lefty at leadoff. There are some promising outfielders coming in next year and I'd be pleased if either Thomas or Fabian turned into a solid OF. Gators will be strong again and I look forward to the development process. I hope it's as much fun as this year.

I noticed I used the word hope a couple of times. That marks me as a real Gator fan.

• Like Like x 2
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Lots of good stuff in this post.

I am not a big fan of "small ball" early in a game especially with the hitters like we have, but late in a close game being able to execute small ball can get you a gritty win. It is an important skill.

So given a limited amount of time to work on stuff in practise how much do you devote to bunting? We should have a couple of guys that can do it. IIRC Halter has put down a fair number of decent bunts.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Lurk—

Our normal daily routine either BP at practice or pregame BP was the same—2 push/2 drag/2 sac. Emphasis was all or any of them could be used on a squeeze play depending on the situation.

If the player couldn’t get it down it cost him hacks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Make them run instead in the hot Florida sun. Everybody hates that.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Lol, I mentioned that option in a previous post…the running was always attached to your effort (or lack of it)

• Like Like x 1
  14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

You know—“if you’re gonna half-ass your effort then we’re gonna run the other half off”……

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Legend

Mar 27, 2015
    LSUs best chance if weather pushes a game to Tuesday and Skenes can then pitch.

16. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2016
    Weather should be fine for all games after the tstorms clear out tomorrow afternoon.

17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I think that Jim Bouton in Ball Four said that if running was so important for pitchers then why didn't they scout track teams for pitchers?

• Like Like x 1
  18. nattygator

nattygator Freshman

Oct 14, 2017
    Gators CWS Totals by Batting Average (as of 22-Jun)
    Player AB Hits Batting Avg.
    Evans 8 3 0.375
    Heyman 11 4 0.364
    Rivera 12 4 0.333
    Halter 9 3 0.333
    Shelnut 11 3 0.273
    Riopelle 9 2 0.222
    Langford 11 2 0.182
    Kurland 15 2 0.133
    Caglianone 12 1 0.083
    Thomas 2 0 0.000
    Schiekofer 2 0 0.000
    Team 102 24 0.235

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Okay Sully time to flip the lineup with Evans leading off and Cags batting 9th.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    We do need our 1-3 guys busting out a little bit. Time for the stars to shine.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1