Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2022 Prospect to Watch - QB Jacurri Brown

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, May 16, 2020.

1. 15gator05

15gator05 Premium Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Lol you’re right we just get ourselves in this position every class come the end of their junior year. We “look good” and they “should pop soon” and then Bama, OSU, and the like turn the heat up and we’re left Empty handed.

2. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Truest stuff i read on here. You never see those schools you listed be the leader of a top prospects for a long time and they DONT get them to pop.

Hell with Marshall i think we're third behind Miami then Bama.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 15gator05

15gator05 Premium Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Exactly. Our biggest problem is not being able to lock these guys up early in the process.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    That part. Tired of the same excuses too why we can't get these kids

1 "kids just wanna stay home, nothing we can do about that".

2 bama/clemson/uga gets top kids from the state of Florida "well we just had a 4 win season 3 seasons ago and those schools have been better than us recently".

So kids wanna stay closer to home but only if they dont get heavily recruited by clemson/bama/uga/osu?

So how and why Oregon recruiting better than us? And people cant use they are recruitng Cali well because only 6 of their 18 commits for the 2021 class are from the state of Cali or Oregon (5 from Cali, 1 from Oregon). Even last year, Oregon signed 22 kids...none from the state of Oregon and only 8 kids from Cali. Hell only 12 of their 26 was from Oregon or Cali in their 2019 class. We need to stop lying to ourselves acting like this recruiting is acceptable

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  5. 15gator05

15gator05 Premium Member

Jun 10, 2011
    There’s got to be something going on behind the scenes with our recruiting department as well. With not having a true head of the department to that John dude acting like a total dumbass on Twitter it needs to be overhauled. We need to throw the bag at someone like Pantoni who can run things for Mullen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    I think the key is having a great evaluator watch the player and assess their potential. There are some kids in high school who have had outstanding coaching since their Pop Warner days, put in tons of hours developing football/QB specific mechanics and footwork and accuracy and speed/strength, maybe done most of their likely growing, and so on. Those kids are probably closer to their potential and therefore ahead of most high school players. Other kids maybe came up playing multiple sports so not as much time with specific football skill/QB development, but have huge upsides. The key is picking out those who have that big upside and the intangibles.

Good news for us is that, if there is any one position we best know Mullen has proven himself, it is in identifying talent at QB that he can develop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If we are top 10 in recruiting when it’s all said and done, realistically that’s all we can expect. We are not a top five team nor a favorite to reach the playoffs.

8. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    The spread of the percentages is not very wide anyhow in high school because the players we are focusing on had the raw tools to be quite good, and their percentages changed year to year based on the skill players they had around them. The high school percentages do not have much correlation to what they do in college. If you stay the same player you were at a 67% average, you will be a 40% passer in college because the competition is night and day. Most players are not going to be refined as a passer incredibly in college unless they go to select programs, but they all have to learn how to play the position, which is going to raise their percentage immensely compared to if they got no direction and were thrown on the field.

Mullen did not change Tebow much in his college career, but despite being a good passer in high school, Mullen has really tightened up his mechanics. He has a much quicker delivery than in high school.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Right. Go after Pantoni and give him FULL reigns to recruiting. Let him reconstruct the recruiting department if need be.

10. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    True. I can live with being in the 7-10 range yearly if we also sign a few elite prospects per cycle. Our 2020 class is what i would have been TOTALLY satisfied with had we been able to keep Walker and have Johnnie Brown and added someone like Tae as well. I could live with that type of class yearly

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And a couple top 3-5 classes here or there which would be more likely with a good showing in a playoff appearance

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Cmon man for that shows how unrealistic some of our fans are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Apparently Ol urban meyer thinks diffrently.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If we could at least win the East, it may look more reasonable to think that. We have a shot no doubt but we aren’t the favorite to come out of the sec no matter who says what.

15. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Well at least with Pantoni we have the whole Alumnus thing going on with him and his wife both being Gators. Throw some money and see what shakes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't agree with either of those excuses. What about the excuse that recruiting is just not Mullen's thing? And I'm not trying to knock him. I still believe that he may end up winning big even though he is a "really good" recruiter as opposed to a "great" recruiter. Time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. okcgator

okcgator All American

Sep 24, 2015
    Dayton
    We’ll see how people feel in a few months when this class is sitting around 15 and UNC, Tenn, and Miami have passed us by. Especially if Sapp ends up flipping to Miami. Right now we are sitting at roughly 11 with UGA, Auburn, and OU behind us with 5+ less commits. Looking less and less likely like kids will see bumps without camps/Sr seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    Thanks Bobby! The stat showed he had less than 50% pass completion in HS. Look at him now. So, CDM has a point. He better lock this kid now.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Yep!!! It aint [ALL] about the completion percentage, it's WHEN you make the completion.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    I think that was me, my bad.

• Funny Funny x 2