Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2021 Tampa Bay Lightning Playoff Thread.

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by tilly, May 17, 2021.

1. domgator

domgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It will be over in 6. And the good news is I have seats in Row 13 on the blue line for Game 6! Go Bolts!

• Like Like x 3
  2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Sit Schenn.
    Play Joseph.

Go 12-6, not 11-7 in game 6.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tilly

They need to sue Manfred too. That weasel is all up in this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tilly

This series reminds me why it's hard for me being a Dolphins fan....and closely behind that, a Bucs fan.
    I was a Bucs fan as a kid, but Marino switched moved the fins just ahead.

The Panthers fans are basically UM fans. They show up when the team has a little success and beat their chests. Tacky bunch of front runners.

So while I love the Bucs and Dolphins in a way that very few would simultaniously, I generally dislike everything else about Miami sports and the fans.

The cities are a million miles apart in my allegiances.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I haven't heard this, but, if it's true, why would that be good news? As a big Rays fan, I do have a few issues with him, but, overall, you can't argue with getting to the World Series. What's your take that makes you want him forced out? The only serious issue I have with him is his love for the Montreal half-season nonsense; that would be a dealbreaker for me as a fan if it happened.

6. tilly

That is the issue. They are claiming:

He had secret meetings with Montreal's group as far back as 2014. This would violate the agreement with St Pete.

The suit states Sternberg has increased his stake in the team to 85 percent from the 49 percent he had in 2004. According to the suit, he did so by negotiating "a secret series of contracts" with previous managing partner Vince Naimoli and, as he continued to acquire stakes, began "secretly negotiating" with Canadian businessman Stephen Bronfman and his Montreal Baseball Group in 2014.

He also allegedly forced some partners to sell their shares to him at less than their value and then transferred "the entire baseball club and franchise" to a new company under his management without telling the other partners.
    Rays' Stuart Sternberg Sued by 5 Minority Owners, Allegedly Had Secret Montreal Talks

I agree he runs the team very well. I believe it is the best run organization in the game.
    But, this may be a legal attempt to take away his power, which would eliminate the Montreal deal.

I will still be a fan if the stupid split city thing happens. I dont live in the area anymore, but as a kid I remember the flirtations and then finally getting a team.
    they are my team. They will remain my team. But that stupid idea has one purpose. Double Stu's income stream into two TV markets and two marketing opportunites.

Another thing that the minority owners are alleging is a surplus of $400M that is just sitting there.
    That is roughly 1/2 the cost of the new stadium right there.

By making this all go public, you are killing Stu's leverage I would think, and both cities will want him to pony up more.
    I think he would get a deal done in Tampa in a NY minute if he showed up with a half billion to contribute.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. tilly

“Sternberg and 501SG have, at every opportunity, put their own interests and agenda ahead of their contractual and fiduciary obligations to the limited partners and the partnership,” the suit reads in part.

The filing from Robert Kleinert, Gary Markel, Stephen M. Waters and a trust with his name, and the MacDougald Family Limited Partnership, LLLP, includes claims for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and constructive fraud, and seeks the appointment of a receiver to conduct an accounting of money owed to the partnership, and a declaration prohibiting Sternberg from violating MLB rules or jeopardizing the limited partners’ tax filing status.

The investors seek a jury trial.
    Rays owner Sternberg sued by minority partners | SportBusiness

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  8. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Wow, what a thorough answer. Appreciate your insight.

As far as running the team, I think he creates a lot with a little. And, that can't all be his front office guys because they have changed over time. I do hate that any player is always on the chopping block, even if so many of their trades end up being better than you'd expect (e.g., Archer for Glasnow, Meadows, and Baz). Still, you just can't get too attached to any player as a fan because they'll be gone as soon as someone offers something substantial for them.

The Montreal thing sticks in my craw. It smacks of caring about his own personal dealings without consideration for the fans that support his business. I grew up in St. Pete and watched the process of getting a team, too. No matter what people say about that stadium, local people like my parents paid taxes to build it (without a team) to attract MLB to a small market town. And, I do still go to several games a year, but, I don't speak French. ;)

If he's dealing with Montreal under the table, that's probably good grounds for action.

Thanks again. Didn't mean to divert your hockey thread.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  9. tilly

Actually if you look at last years thread, it became a Rays thread too, but the playoffs were almost simultaneous so it made sense. If the Rays get to the postseason I will have a thread for them too. I live in an are with no pro sports now and I love these threads.

10. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Will look forward to it.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    On to round 2!
    And of course the class of Florida shines through to the bitter end, a slashing penalty inside of 30 seconds to go in a 4-0 series clinching game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Swamp55

Swamp55 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Tampa
    Excellent win tonight for the Lightning. Simply the better team playing the better game. Good to see them remember how to play defense again.

Oh, yeah...the Panthers can go to hell!

Go Bolts! ⚡

• Like Like x 1
  13. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Great win for the Bolts! :)

14. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    At least it was a stick and not a limb lol.

15. domgator

domgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Shut the F out! Extra sweet to be there in person. Panthers totally outplayed and outclassed. 2 wins in a series though might be their deepest playoff run ever!

• Like Like x 2
  16. tilly

Savard, Johnson and Maroon had their best games of the series.
    Gourde was a monster on the forecheck.

Another incredible Kuch to Point goal.
    A Stammer BOMB.
    And of course Vassy.

Champs advance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Vasilevskiy was .....perfect. Stopped all 29 shots. That one timer was a thing of beauty.

• Winner Winner x 3
  18. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Congrats to the Bolts for advancing at the expense of their rival.

My wife happened to be traveling to the area for a conference across the street. She had no idea she was going to be in the midst of all the hockey fans all week. She said she enjoyed the environment, but, it was definitely unexpected for her.

19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

:cool:
    Hockey fans are fun to be around. And it’s the only professional sport I pay attention to these days. We lived in the northern burbs of Detroit for 10 years when the Wings were rolling and hockey nights downtown were a blast. Saw a lot of great games at The Joe - my only regret is never being in the right place at the right time to drink from The Cup. That and never chucking an octopus out on the ice :cool:

It’s great having a Stanley Cup Champion here in Florida to cheer for - but hockey up north is just different. Go Bolts. And may Stevie Yzerman perform his magic again and return the Red Wings to greatness.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  20. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I grew up in MN so being a hockey fan practically was required by law. I've been down here for 40 years so the Bolts are my team, especially since the North Stars moved to Dallas. Freaking Dallas. Meanwhile, the Bolts have 2 Stanley Cups and have a very good shot at a 3rd this year.

• Like Like x 1