Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2021 Tampa Bay Lightning Playoff Thread.

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by tilly, May 17, 2021.

1. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    That goal was funny. 42 saves....and the one that got in, was like a slow rolling bowling ball. :D Seemed like one of those deals that betrays genius, where the most basic things seem incredibly challenging, while the extraordinary stuff that makes for genius, is made to look easy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Score a goal with 0.3 left in the period - that’s a backbreaker.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

The Bolts (Tyler Johnson) did that to Price in the 2015 playoffs...only that one was a 3rd period game winner.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tilly

That goal last night (watch replay) actually touches Cerelli and McDonagh as it heads into the net.

Both Habs goals have been double deflections. You have to look closely but the radio guys and NBC postgame caught it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. tilly

Tyler Johnson buzzer beater. Game 3. 2015 vs Habs and Price:

• Like Like x 2
  6. tilly

Everyone does remember that Blake Coleman scored an identical goal last season in the playoffs right?:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. canagator

canagator Junior

Jan 1, 2020
    Stoney Creek Ontario
    I think this is going to be a short series, possibly a 4 game sweep, when the Habs outshoot their opponent like that which is rare and still lose it has to be demoralizing, a hot goalie is doing to the Habs what Price did in the first 3 series! The system the team played so successfully isn't working against a talented Bolts team, add to that the Quebec government minimising home ice advantage by refusing a request to allow 10K fans in the Bell Center and everything points to a true uphill battle, they have been reisilient but I'm afraid this unlikely run is coming to an abrupt end!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I dont think itll be a sweep. The bolts have a tendency to get complacent. You caught a taste of that last night--first half of game in the wake of game 1--which presented less of a challenge than expected. Imo, habs win last night if they stuck to their game plan, instead of focusing on Kuch, trying to take him out if his (thats whst it looked like to me anyway). All that served to do, was wake the bolts up out of their slumber.

So take a 2 game lead out of Amelie and into a half empty arena, and my money is on a desperate habs team taking one agsinst a complacent Lightning team.

Jmho/fwiw.

9. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    It was pretty to look at and the effort was 100%, but for that to go in is beyond lucky. Highlight Reel stuff for the ages!

10. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    Painful game for me to watch; I'm not devastated because I do like the Bolts also, but wow! To have pressured the Lightning's goal almost all night long and come up with only one fluky goal is hard to swallow. Reminds me of the 1971 Montreal Boston series: Boston had Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito (76 Goals and 76 assists in the regular season), John Bucyk and Ken Hodge but Ken Dryden frustrated the Bruins' high flying offense facing 285 shots and a .912 save percentage. The Canadiens pulled out the series 4-3, against all odds and went on to win the Cup.

Canadiens should have at least scored on one or more of the breakaways last night, but the boys came in too close before making their move. Vassy's going to take that away every time, he is so good with his stick and keeping his pads on the ice!

Habs will be able to win at least 1 in Montreal, I think but other than that you can put a fork in them, even if they win the next 2, Bolts are just too loaded and the goaltending is out of this world while the Canadiens don't really have even one true sniper of Kucherov's caliber.

11. tilly

Part of me hopes It gets back to Amalie so the Bolts don't have to hoist Lord Stanley in another empty Canadian rink.
    I mean win first, but in an ideal world, lets let 19K enjoy in in person.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. tilly

Anyone really think MTL can take 4 of 5 from TBL at this point?

13. tilly

Coleman and Johnson's goals vs Price and the Habs were both reviewed and officially came with 1.1 seconds left IIRC.

14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Yep - I remember it well. Those are fun to go back and watch the last minute or so to see how they develop. You're watching with about :14 left and thinking wait . . . . how the heck are they going to score?

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. tilly

Both started on breakouts around the 11 second mark.

16. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    No.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tilly

So growing up all over the region. (Hillsborough, Manatee, Sarasota)..had you told me that in adulthood I would be rooting a home town NHL team to a third Stanley Cup, I would have said you were nuts. I liked the Atlanta Flames just because they were in the south, but they moved north when I was in the 3rd grade I think.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Having grown up in MN, I was a big Minnesota North Stars fan. Then they moved to Dallas, and that was that. Living in Orlando, I could get my hockey Jones on through the Lightning. I even had tickets to the Orland Solar Bears. It was good hockey, but it wasn't the NHL.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Rkb75

Rkb75 Senior

Sep 19, 2015
    Killorn out due to what was reportedly a broken leg sustained on a blocked shot. Yet, he traveled with the team to Mtl, and supposedly may play….perhaps doing a Jack Youngblood imitation.

• Like Like x 2
  20. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Lightning are up 2-1 after 1st pd.

• Like Like x 1