Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2021 Signing Class

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by BurkeGator, Nov 12, 2020.

1. BurkeGator

BurkeGator Sophomore

Aug 28, 2015
  2. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm not a devotee of "rankings" and UTR, but seems McGinnis must have been added because she could early enroll and we need a body....which screams roster mismanagement yet again. The top in state players signed with Stanford, South Carolina, Virginia, Michigan.
    First Florida player signed since 2017, and she isn't a blue chipper is mind boggling. Not saying she can't or won't be a very good player at UF, because I bet she can develop into a quality contributor....just not yet, and she may be needed immediately. My issue is with roster management and decision making.
    If Sleeth's mystery injury prevents her from playing effectively we are in trouble again.

3. crosscreekgator

crosscreekgator Sophomore

Aug 3, 2018
    This is a solid signing class. However, it remains to be seen whether any of these players can be developed to eventually win at the No. 1 - No. 3 spots in the SEC. Their current UTR's indicate they all have the potential to reach that level.

4. crosscreekgator

Aug 3, 2018
    A lot of the players that list (FL) on tennisrecruiting.net are not truly from Florida. They may have trained in South Florida and some of their parents will even relocate here so that they can live with them. Nonetheless, UF should be able to tap into the talent that is training in South Florida at tennis academies and with private coaches.

I agree that McGinnis is not necessarily one of the "elite" players in this year's class in terms of her ranking. But athleticism and "want to" are big factors in how players develop in college. Coach Shelton's daughter who is playing at South Carolina is a prime example of how important those two traits are once a player arrives on campus.

5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree on all points, but UF has struggled not only in state but domestically as a whole. And I don't want to indicate McGinnis can't be a very good player at UF, only that she seems to be coming in early since we direly need a player, and it's very unlikely she is "ready". That's a staff issue.
    All 3 players seem solid if not difference makers. But are we making up ground on what we used to be, the elite teams? Too early to tell.
    If Sleeth is available and Dahlstrom could play 4 this team is formidable.....Kessler, Sleeth, Ida, Dahlstrom, Zein, Berlin would be competitive. But you take out Sleeth we are middle of the road.

6. crosscreekgator

Aug 3, 2018
    Sleeth's status remains a mystery. Maybe she will show up in the Spring. If not, McGinnis will have to step up and play No. 6 and once again we will have absolutely no depth. Ida, Dahlstrom and Zein would be competitive at 2, 3 and 4, but Berlin may struggle at 5.

I really don't understand why UF has not had 8 players on its roster the last few years. Another unanswered mystery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    talked to my friend who played for UF back in the 90s and she said very underwhelming class for the reputation our program. Thinks enough to keep us top 20 or around there but not a threat for a run. Most alumni not happy with the state of the program, stale much like the soccer program. Clamoring for a change here, tough time to do that, but even as a novice tennis person when I see we can only sign lets say the 15th best player in Florida just does not make sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Johnhoge

Johnhoge Recruit

May 4, 2007
    Tennis recruiting rates McGinnis as #44 player nationally - this is a very good recruit. Also, we have a commitment from Sophie Williams from South Carolina - class of 2022, blue 5 star recruit, #30 nationally, #8 player in southeast region - perhaps we can let up on the coaches a bit.

9. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would caution that those are not typical UF recruits.....historically UF wouldn't sniff a player below top 15 nationally, and usually the threshold would be top 10. It's not like big roster sports where a top 50/top 100 player is a huge pickup. Here are the domestic recruits last few years:
    Zein- 11th nationally
    Emma 8th
    Kessler would have been top 10 but was early entry
    Neel 8th
    Austin 1st
    Kuhlman 7th
    Porter was as high as 2nd in some spots, injury put her lower part top 10
    Embree and Will were 1 and 2 I think...both top 5 for sure

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Just glancing at some of the top 25 signing classes.....FIU's lowest rated signee is ranked where our highest signee is. Same with FSU. We are being out recruited by just about every D1 school in the south going by rankings alone )which I am hesitant to do exclusively). But it is yet another warning flag

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    the tennis and soccer programs are headed in the same directions.

12. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Afraid soccer is already there. Could argue tennis is as well based on the last 2-3 seasons.....but tennis can produce a high level season IF Sleeth plays to the level we have expected. That's a big if, but UF could leap into the top 8 IMO. But I'm skeptical, and the future doesn't look all that bright.