Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

2021. Should U.S. President Donald J. Trump be Impeached?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by RayGator, Jan 12, 2021.

January 2021. Should United States President, Donald J. Trump, be Impeached?

Poll closed Jan 22, 2021.
  1. YES.

74.2%
  2. No.

24.2%
  3. Not enough information to make a decision.

1.7%
  1. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Kuwait
    In your opinion, that might be meaningful. For me, what you just wrote seems only symbolic. If the process actually results in him not being able to run for office again and being some kind of American version of the "Bonny Prince across the Sea," always threatening to come back and take power again during the years remaining to him, then that is meaningful. I would like to see that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    So would I. Very much. I’m just a glass-is-half full kinda guy.

3. RayGator

RayGator Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    I pretty much like your 4th option. I was already thinking about impeaching Pelosi & Schumer. Won’t happen but long before all this came up I’ve always been in favor of term limits for the House and Senate. 4 terms for the House and 2 terms for the Senate.
    That’s enough time for them to live off U.S. Taxpayers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. thomadm

thomadm Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I think most Americans would love to see term limits. I would also throw in an upper age limit, lets say 70. Some of these politicians are 80 or near that age. No disrespect to our seniors, but you should be enjoying your retirement, not trying to run the country. You had your chance...

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I see the term limit argument a lot, but haven't seen any compelling argument that follows it up to explain what it would accomplish.

The reason there are limits on presidents and other execs is due to the unique power of a head of state, power that can increase, making presidents (or similarly governors etc.) more likely to use it toward corrupt ends.

The difference with legislatures is they are one of many in any legislative body whose individual power is far more limited and more likely to fluctuate depending on the issue or particular political circumstances. For instance, the party heads in the house and senate gain more power when their party is in power, but lose power when their party is not, same for everyone in the party, generally. Also, to use Joe Manchin as an example. Given the upcoming evenly divided Senate, as a Dem in a red-leaning state, his power will increase substantially.

Then you have to think, at least with reps, these are the folks who are in theory closest to their constituents. Shouldn't people have a right to continually vote for the same person to represent them in government?

• Like Like x 1
  6. PD

PD GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn’t think it possible, but the Baby Trumpies in the House had even more pathetic excuses and Whataboutisms in defense of their Dear Leader than they did in his first impeachment.

But all the DUI Gaetz baby tantrums won’t change the facts:

He gonl.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. thegator92

thegator92 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I say No, for two reasons. One, the Senate trial is going to be a circus, focusing on Trump after he leaves, when the Senate should be focusing on confirming Biden's appointees and getting down to some real legislation. I'm neutral on Biden so far, but the guy deserves to get his cabinet together and get to work. No more of this revolving door of "acting" sycophants and incompetents. Besides, it was only a year ago that the government was caught up in this same hoopla and probably dropped the ball in preparing for COVID. They need to focus.

Two, the Republican party has become unrecognizable to me. It needs an enema. If Trump is immediately sidelined, then it's business as usual, and the outrageous liars, race-baiters, and QAnon fruitcakes remain a powerful force, and the more reasonable center-leaning pragmatists continue to cower like whipped dogs beneath the hand of a master. However, if Trump remains an albatross around the party's neck for the next 4 years, they will either be forced to shed the hateful lunatic fringe and other short-sighted opportunists (to a degree anyways), or collapse and split into two parties. Maybe some sort of Lincoln party that gets back to the roots of restrained federal government, financial balance, judicious foreign intervention, and out of the business of drummed up culture wars.

I know the House already voted, but nothing says Pelosi has to forward the articles any time soon. Put it away in a drawer and get to it later for some summer entertainment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Why don’t we let Charles Manson out of prison? He’s too old to kill again? What’s the point in punishing him this late in life?

The poll was “should we impeach?”. Arguments from republicans were God awful in congress and here. All procedural. Almost no arguments on culpability.

I hate when the Dems are politically self destructive standing up ideologically, like now, but they are right. Trump should be removed even if for a day. He purposely put Capitol staff lives at risk and failed to defend the Capitol. FAILED TO DEFEND THE CAPITOL. At least politically, as more comes out, these Republican traitors are on record like the misguided (IMO) voters are here:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. RayGator

RayGator Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    I certainly agree on the age limit. 70 would be good I think. Something I’ve learned is that it just seems like when you hit 70, things are going to start happening on the medical side if they hadn’t started happening before you teach 70. For goodness sakes, I learned Biden was even older than me! And I certainly know the challenges of being past 70. When he speaks you can tell he’s often confused or can’t think of the words he’s wanting to use. I have no doubt at all he’s going to have some “handlers” guiding him. Be very surprised if he he lasts in office 2 more years when he reaches 80. I can see him stepping down and turning things over to VP Harris. Even if he doesn’t really want to. Time will tell, of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. RayGator

RayGator Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    Besides, it’s a political circus, that’s all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Yeah. Seems soooo plausible :rolleyes:

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    So what you're saying is that ANTIFA had this long term plan to assault the Capitol and blame the attack on supporters of Trump and implicitly as part of the plan the ANTIFA members attended Trump's MAGA rallies and even developed an online history of support for Trump?

• Like Like x 1
  13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Apparently someone else agrees with your analysis that ANTIFA was responsible.
    Russian media outlets push false claims about who's to blame for the Capitol riot

14. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Just curious, what "high crimes and misdemeanors" have Pelosi, Schumer and McConnell committed? Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to go around impeaching members of Congress just because we might not like them. I think the Constitution supports me on this.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It won’t end by doing nothing with Trump. The far right will call for peace and unity now then revert back to their same nation-dividing tactics once the issue has passed. Wrongdoing needs to be punished and deal with the fallout after that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Of course, he’s president and thus impeachable. As for whether he should be, this is one of those issues where reasonable people can differ. However, it’s not reasonable to deny Trump committed such offense(s), (or to claim the election was rigged).
    I’ll be ecstatic if he’s convicted and suffers whatever the consequences for an out-of-office president are,but I’d rather we move on and let the judicial system deal with him. Trump has sucked enough air out of the room. Biden needs to have the pulpit and get started full time on his agenda. That’s my position.

17. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    That and you can’t impeach a member of Congress.

18. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

Geesh---why do you have to bring facts into the discussion LOL :ninja2:

19. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    It's interesting to see nearly two dozen gators that rarely comment in TH, if at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    I must say I’m impressed by this place for a change. Nice!