Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2021 MLB Draft (Sun 7/11 - Tue 7/13)

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Jun 28, 2021.

1. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

People like to bring up that Miami game but it was just a single game in FEBRUARY where Sully wanted Aleman to work through his struggles. He got MUCH better after that and that loss didn’t cost UF a thing. UF still hosted Miami in the postseason. As much as I hate Miami baseball (and I do genuinely hate Miami baseball), that game is irrelevant and ultimately it helped Aleman in my opinion.

As for USA, yeah it was depressing but let’s be honest, the towel was thrown in. Sully should have pulled him but it wouldn’t have mattered. The cause was lost. Didn’t help Aleman’s draft status, surely, so I get why he may not be happy about it but it didn’t endanger his health and UF wasn’t winning that game if Gerritt Cole came in to pitch for Aleman.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    BG72—

Again, completely agree—late in the season there were some comments from both JY and Hickey that had red flags all over them too IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. gator1977

gator1977 All American

Apr 15, 2019
    That's the beauty of baseball different takes on the game, a team, and a season.
    My point on the Miami game and series is this:
    Gators came into the season with sky's-the limit expectations, consensus #1, confident, etc... They were a bit shaky in game one -first game jitters- but won with Aleman closing it out and getting the save.
    Game two--- the Gators had two 5 run leads but UM kept chipping it down... heading to the 9th, Gators led 8-5 and then the meltdown and a loss in extras. That game may have been just one L but I think it was more than that- it was a confidence shaker for the young guys.
    Game 3 another disaster- Gators came out flat and deflated, Barco rocked and despite Gators fighting back it's too little too late... Loss.
    Suddenly the consensus #1 had lost the opening series at home in their new ballpark against an in-state rival that they've owned in recent years.. I believe that series loss had an affect on team confidence and ultimate outcome.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    1977–

We all know that one series does not define a season, a team has it’s own abilities to set that bar.

However to your point—great expectations/young impressionable roster/failure to perform up to the expected levels of Gator Baseball/struggles to handle said failures/and IMHO the surfacing of the lack of true team leadership (in house from the roster) and that sadly ends up defining the team by year’s end.

All of this can be eliminated and or corrected. I look forward to seeing that happen. Long live Gator Baseball!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    That's one of the reasons I'm hoping against hope that Young and Hickey come back for another year. Leadership. If they go pro, who takes charge of the team in the dugout, weight room, in practices and on the field? Mace & Scott had fire on the mound, but they are both probably gone as well. A baseball team, to be really successful, has to not only have talent but a chemistry that holds the team together and pushes it to achieve. And it takes a couple of guys to lead. Sully needs to find those guys by fall practice and lean on them to help motivate this group of players to be fully committed to the team and each other.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Ok, the argument of the single initial series setting the stage for the season is an interesting view. I can see your point.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Good points @ocalaman—Leadership from within a team’s roster is very necessary and essential for any team to compete and succeed at the highest levels.

In all of my years of being around the game and different teams (from the player/coach/fan and parent perspective) it has always been my experience that team leaders step up both in their own level of play and in bringing an intensity level that the other players are driven to match.

Appointed captains are not necessarily true leaders. That’s not to say that an appointed team captain may not end up being a true team leader but there surely can be a difference.

Here’s hoping the Gators get this nailed down sooner than later and we can have a chance to watch some more great Gator Baseball.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 27, 2015
    With all of these player focused NCAA changes, you would have to think the 3 years after High School rule in football and the 3 year commitment and age requirement if you go to college in baseball will be the next two things targeted. It won't be long before some HS football stud goes straight from HS to the NFL (it would take a rare kid) and then it won't be long where baseball deals with one and done like basketball does.

9. JY has little to gain coming back. He had a stellar year in most statistical categories.

10. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't see baseball ever going that route. That is what JUCO Baseball allows.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Agreed. The 3 year rule in baseball is not prohibiting kids from earning money. They sign up for it. They can make money day 1, after 1 year at JUCO, or 3 at D-1 schools. They had multiple options along the route. Football on the other hand does restrict them from making a living.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    The 2021 MLB Draft is done. Teams have until their draftees enroll in school or 11:59 pm on August 15th to sign them.

We almost had one SEC school with no one drafted (player or signee), but Seth Halvorsen saved the day for Mizzou when his name was called in Round 19, #565.

Last player drafted was Charlie Connolly from Navy.

Call me crazy, but overall it sure looks to me that a lot more college players were drafted than normal and way more than HS players. I'm sure some writer will do an analysis.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    The MLB draft is over, rounds 11-20 just completed. Looking through the list, I don't see any more Gators, current roster players nor high school signees, who were drafted today. That means only 4 of our high school signees got drafted, 3 in the 1st round, 1 in the 3rd round. That's awesome news, as we'll be getting a lot of kids who were projected to be drafted pretty high. I read yesterday that after removing Painter, Petty, Allen and Fox from the list of commits, we still had 12 signees ranked in the Top 500, with these 7 being the highest:

OF - Michael Robertson #91

P - Philip Abner #114

P - Pierce Coppola #118

P - Jac Cagliolone #132

P - Karl Hartman #161

C - Rene Lastres #186

P - Brandon Neely #206

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

In terms of recruits, that is the best UF could realistically hope happened.

In terms of upperclassman, getting Aleman back would have been nice but nothing else is a major surprise.

15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Did you really expect to get Aleman back? Me neither….

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    Well, I have to make a correction to my prior post. 4 more Gator signees were drafted today. They were not among the 7-8 highly-rated guys and I wasn't looking for their names when I scanned the list. There is no signing bonus money involved and who knows whether or not they will sign. But here are their names:

RHP Shawn Guilliams* - 330th (11th) - Cincinnati Reds

RHP Antonio Knowles* - 402nd (13th) - Los Angeles Dodgers

RHP Kyle Larsen* - 524th (18th) - Texas Rangers

OF Ty Evans* - 607th (20th) - Atlanta Braves

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Tommy Mace has only one real weakness as a pitcher. He has to learn how to forget about not getting the call on a borderline pitch.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
  19. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Expect? No. But he has the potential with his stuff to be a high pick.

20. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

They can actually sign for more than some Top 10 round guys (unless the rules have changed). See Michael Byrne.