Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

2021 MLB Draft (Sun 7/11 - Tue 7/13)

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Jun 28, 2021.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    WAR is Wins Above Replacement. Pretty much compared to the average player available at that position in terms of wins. Available could be a minor leaguer or an easily attained free agent.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    @wingtee
    Following on from our professor friend, it is an attempt (and I stress attempt) to account for fielding impact and hitting impact compared to the MLB average. So Alonso has a very good offensive WAR as he is very productive compared to the average MLB hitter BUT his defensive WAR isn’t special. He is essentially average. Part of that is playing a relatively unimportant position and part of it is not being particularly special at that position.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    The problem I have is relating a walk to a certain amount of runs and relating defensive coverage and fielding percentage to runs. For instance, a 2 out walk is not as valuable as a 0 out walk. The odds of a no out walk scoring must be higher than a 2 out walk. Same for a great diving catch. Or maybe a better thought defensively is outfield assists. Gunning someone at home is an obvious correlation to a run but throwing a guy out stretching a single to a double with 2 outs? Harder to quantify.

Long story short, it has holes from my reading of it BUT it is a more single complete metric for value than any one other metric hence my use.