Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(WBK) 2021-22 Team

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by EastTNG8TR, Apr 6, 2021.

1. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2011
    Looks like the official roster has been updated for next season. Two things stood out... Kinslow is not listed and Manu is listed. We have room for 2 more to get to 15 (Kiki doesn't count I don't think). I'd love to see us add Angel Jackson and move on to 2022 recruiting. We should sign 3 to 5 in that class the way it looks now.

2021-22 Women's Basketball Roster - Florida Gators

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 1
  3. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    • Like Like x 2
  4. nsbgator

nsbgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thoroughly enjoyed these posts with in-depth look at our players.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 3
  6. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011
    Update on Jackson... she seems to really like the new hire by USC. I won't be surprised if she decides to stay at USC now with the coaching change. They do have a McD AA coming in next year projected to start over her by most so never say never, but I am not optimistic

If she is is indeed off the board, as well as Chanaya Pinto, I am not sure where we find another post player that would have a significant impact... maybe JUCO? There is a good post transferring from Penn State, but I haven't seen anything connecting her to UF.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

8. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011

• Like Like x 3
  9. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Colorado
    Newbauer just got extended., So much for him being under a lot of pressure to perform this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 2
  11. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

12. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    This was a strange one. 46-71 overall record at UF, 15-47 SEC record doesn't exactly deserve an extension to me, but I'm not the AD.

13. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Colorado
    Don't be hard on yourself. In terms of hiring women's basketball coaches, though, you couldn't do worse.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I mentioned it in other threads, but this only takes him to four years so that he doesn’t get kneecapped in recruiting. The buyout on a WBB coach is low enough that this doesn’t mean much, he could still be gone after this year if we don’t have the year some here think we will. Of the three extensions this one actually made the most sense to me, and I am not a Cam fan.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011
    Exactly, I am a fan, but know he needs to win more this season. The extension was the only logical thing to do. There was no raise for him or White. It was obviously done for recruiting reasons. Not sure why people have an issue with it. UF doesn't exacly throw a boatload of cash at WBB. The buyout is nothing on the overall radar.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Colorado
    Then I assume you're in favor of every coach, assistant or otherwise, having a perpetual four years on their deal. Just every year add on and add on until a change is made. Since assistants do much of the recruiting, them not being guaranteed for four years is every bit the same thing isn't it? Go everyone's favorite DC shouldn't have one year left on his deal; he should have four. Am I reading you correctly?

I don't think Newbauer deserved this year, much less next. But this extension is not a recruiting tool for the very reason you say it doesn't matter -- there's not enough buyout to make it relevant either way. Just as you have, teams can point to it and say the same thing they'd say without the extension. The presence or lack of presence of 4 years doesn't really mean anything to recruits for the same reason you say it shouldn't matter to fans, that any buyout isn't enough to really deter UF from making a change. But I you DO think it matters to recruits, then you have admit it matters.

That's why I'm frustrated about it; I think if you're right about the message it sends to recruits, then that same message is sent to fans. And the message is Stricklin is committed to Newbauer. Period. And I don't see anything to justify that commitment.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  17. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    assistants rarely get 4 years, head coaches almost always have that on their contracts for the reasons stated. It’s not a question of either of us being in favor of it, it’s just SOP for ADs across the board and why this was done. All three of the guys extended would have been below four years in this recruiting cycle so Stricklin took care of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    We have the 6th best women’s basketball team in Florida. FSU, UM, USF, UCF and even Florida Gulf Coast have been better in recent past. SEC is a tough conference, but Gators just have not found the right coach yet to take us to top. I’m hoping patience pays off and we turn the corner

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011

Smesko is an elite coach at a curious location. He seems content where he is. Several schools have shown interest over the years and he has remained at FGCU. It was a 2 year school when he built the program, so a slightly different kind of job BUT everything he has done is impressive there.

Henderson has been really good at UCF, though it's definitely not an SEC caliber schedule... She and Smesko are both great coaches.

As far as the other 3 we want to catch up to and pass, here are the records for their head coaches over their first four years compared with Cam at UF.

Fernandez (USF): 4-24, 14-13, 7-20, 14-15
    Meier (Miami): 17-13, 11-19, 9-21, 13-17
    Semrau (FSU): 9-18, 7-20, 12-17, 19-12
    *and she regressed to 13-15 in year 5*

Newbauer (UF): 11-19, 8-23, 15-15, 12-14

Patience is key. Cam has done a great job building the roster. We aren't there yet... but we are much closer than some realize. Having a healthy Lavender, Kiki, and Jordyn all at the same time will go a long way... but they have more talent and experience around them as well.

Some of the fans here would have fired any one of Semrau, Fernandez, or Meier at this stage in their career. Let's see how the season unfolds. I think some are in for a pleasant surprise.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Colorado
    As is their norm, the Cam defenders are pretending as though Newbauer took over the shambles of a program and has struggled to build it to mediocrity, when in fact he took over the state's best WBB program (maybe second best) and reduced it to its worst. They ignore that every UF coach for 30 years had made the NCAAs at least once in their first four years, and that each of them had at least one 20-win season in those first four years. Or that in the four years before Newbauer took over, UF had made the NCAAs twice.

They talk of patience when forgetting a college basketball career is four years, and that for some of these girls, those four years have already been pissed away.

They comparatively look at SEC-caliber scheduling while omitting who most of Newbauer's wins have come against, and ignoring that he has lost three quarters of those SEC games. Last year's average SEC score was 69-76, and the average loss was by 12 points.

They talk about recruiting improving while ignoring Newbauer has yet to have a top 25 class, and that none of the top 100 2021 prospects are attending UF (for the record, FSU has 2, UCF has 1, Miami 1 and Vandy, who didn't even finish the season, has 2. Too many other SEC schools to list have at least one, and several have multiple.) 2021 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100 - ESPN

But sure, we're in for a pleasant surprise. We just need to keep the faith for another year. Or two. Or four. Whatever it takes, right?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1